Thread: Pay by the mile

Post Thanks / Like

Pay by the mile

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in674120.shtml

First, the government wanted everyone to switch to hybrids and low emissions vehicles. Now complaining that they aren`t making enough money taxing gas anymore, they want to put a GPS system in your car, and charge you by the mile.

Of course the Communist State known as California is leading the charge.

Oh - as a side effect, the government will ALWAYS know where you are thanks to the GPS device being installed in your car.

Plus they would probally know if u speed or not!!!!! probally fine you for that too...while u pay for this tax:beat :beat

Discussion?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pay by the mile

Time to elect people who really represent the people.

We got brainless monkeys in every office right now.

Tax by the mile, thats a good one.

How many presidents have said to get elected "i will not raise taxes?"

Lieing sacks of crap.

If everytime a politition told a lie someone punched them in the mouth, this country would be fine.

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

if every politician told the truth, i doubt we would have any elected officials. you just got to hope that the person that lies the least will get into office.

Post Thanks / Like

True, true. They all lie. Look at Bush and the war. What WMD? That was his big platform. When the gig was up he said "Well, I got faulty info". They are all liars. I just try to pick the one that will lie the least.

Post Thanks / Like

The pay per mile system may not be a bad idea if they eliminate or reduce the gas tax but why use GPS? Why can`t they just tax the vehicle annually based on mileage at the time of the vehicle`s annual inspection?
    Leo

1986 El Camino
    1997 Lincoln Mark VIII
    1999 Cadillac Seville
    1951 Fiat 500C

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pappy
    Plus they would probally know if u speed or not!!!!! probally fine you for that too...while u pay for this tax:beat :beat

Discussion?
    The GPS bit definitely doesn`t sound like a good idea to me, but......I think I recall reading that right now, many new vehicles have the capability of recording and storing how that vehicle is being driven. Starts, stops, speed, that sort of thing. Kind of like the "Black Box" on airplanes. Unfortunately, it has only just begun.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

WTF? hey just got into the Mega Millions drawings and now that want more cash? :lol They should just do like Michigan and start taxing the snot out of tobacco.

--
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFTowel
    The pay per mile system may not be a bad idea if they eliminate or reduce the gas tax but why use GPS? Why can`t they just tax the vehicle annually based on mileage at the time of the vehicle`s annual inspection?

Ha, I guess the wierd thing for CA is that there are no yearly inspections. I am pretty sure that all you have to do it get a smog check every three years and thats it. Kinda opposite if it seems like CA is putting all the restrictions on?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFTowel
    why gps? probally has more pros to it...since they could find out where every single car is on the road.....for crimes and such. stolen vehicles. ect....plus alot of states dont have car inspections......

Post Thanks / Like

Never trust the government. Didn`t we fight a revolution over this same BS about 225 years ago?
    Teflon is for frying pans.

Post Thanks / Like

Anything that is hauled in a semi is required to file a mileage report. My family owns a trucking firm and we are required to file every year how many miles we log in every state. The money we pay for fuel tax is devided up to all the states per how many miles are put on in each state. It`s not quite the same as the GPS billing per mile, but the feds already require some of us turn in miles.

Polisher of Shiny Things
    Post Thanks / Like

Not like any of that will actually come to pass.

People are not that dumb, and they will demand that the government manage their funds a little better, rather than "discriminate" against certain people in this mannor.

God forbid the public demand some accountability from their elected officials......
    83 SVT Cougar
    95 Tbird
    89 Saleen Mustang

Obsessed?

- Yeah, ain`t it cool!

Post Thanks / Like

if every politician told the truth, i doubt we would have any elected officials. you just got to hope that the person that lies the least will get into office.
    I dont agree with that. Even if nothing changed i would like to know up front what is coming my way. That isnt unreasonable is it :beer

Never trust the government. Didn`t we fight a revolution over this same BS about 225 years ago?
    Yes we did, i belive-correct me someone if i am wrong, but "we" were fed up paying a 5% income tax !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is time to think beyond Repiblican or Democrat. Outside the box, what will really work, forget the label, because what we are doing now isnt working.

Professional Detailer detailbarn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

it`s been said that we americans have had it good for along time, seems the tides are changing.We are slowing losing our freadoms and there`s not much we can do about it. $2 a gallon for gas and now a tax per mile.
    What about small business owners such as mobile detailers and lanscapers this would kill most of them. I know if this happens that I`ll be making that move to Canada that I`ve been talking about for years.
    Doug Lucas
    The Detail Barn

Post Thanks / Like

Canada`s not much better. Then you can enjoy the 30% or something GST tax and a horrible wait in line health care system. I`m thinking Austrailia would be the next "best" thing. I have family other there, they love it. I really think it`s time for a viable third party here.......

Neither party can be trusted. At least at the federal level, we`re getting tax cuts and hopefully privitizing SS. The county and state government are the ones that are hurting us. In the county where I work they`re raising assessments 30% over the next 5 years to raise funds for medicaid. Erie county (Buffalo) is basically bankrupt due to corruption. Don`t they understand that they`re going to drive out the rich people? Rich people = business owners (jobs) and investment (growth for jobs).
    Teflon is for frying pans.

Thread Information