Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys!

I`ve seen a few posts saying that when you are detailing it feels as though you are OCD with the paint cleanliness and so on...

I was just wondering if people really are OCD or just being stereotypical?

I for one have OCD and can completely relate to detailing and cleanliness. I`m in a bind where I want to fix it because it takes mucho amounts of time out of my life, but yet...I like the results it gives on my car! I`ve seen my doctor and am on Zoloft...any experiences in regards to OCD and detailing?

Thanks for any response.
    2006 Atomic Blue Honda Civic w/Navi

Post Thanks / Like
    Many refer to their hobbies/passions as OCD, but I think few acutally have diagnosed OCD.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the obsessive compulsive behavior is strictly limited to automotive detailing, without OCD-like symptoms hampering all aspects of one`s daily life, then it`s simply an obsessive passion/lifestyle or a new sub category of the diagnosis may need to be formally named. :hide:

Folks can have OCD like personalities or be attracted to interests that could be associated with OCD without actually having the bona fide, true diagnosis.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    I kinda dislike the way clinical/psychological terminology is casually applied to all sorts of stuff. It pokes fun at people`s interests (perhaps as a coping mechanism for the user`s own inner conflicts ) and IMO diminishes the significance of various disorders and the plight of those who truly suffer from them.

Even the colloquial use of "anal" as in, anal retentive, is, IMO, just so :rolleyes

I recall a recent thread where I was genuinely concerned about somebody who said that marring on his paint was keeping him up at night.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah yes, I too remember that thread...it was a pickup truck if I remember correctly?

Thanks for the replies

Sometimes I wonder if I`m going too far as to make a website about detailing. But, but its fun! :lol

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not sure what you call it, but..

If my car(s) are not clean, I am thinking about when I will be able to clean them

If one was to become marred in some way, I would *have* to fix it and would compulse until I did

I think about paint/detailing all the time

When I have details booked for the weekend, I can barely sleep the night before because I am so excited

I have no idea what that`s called, but I LOVE DETAILING!
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ebpcivicsi
    I am not sure what you call it, but..

If my car(s) are not clean, I am thinking about when I will be able to clean them

If one was to become marred in some way, I would *have* to fix it and would compulse until I did

I think about paint/detailing all the time

When I have details booked for the weekend, I can barely sleep the night before because I am so excited

I have no idea what that`s called, but I LOVE DETAILING!

Likewise here. It`s a preoccupation in overdrive or, otherwise, an obsession. Hey, as long as you can control the rest of your life, :2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had co-workers tell me in the past that I must be OCD. I do not agree- I can allow certain aspects of my life to go "less than freshly detailed" without having the overwhelming compulsion to rectify their condition.

With that said, I do realize that once I start on something, I can sometimes (and to my own detriment) stubbornly refuse to walk away until I finish it. To me it isn`t whether or not I am being obsessive- but rather I believe you do something right the first time or you do not waste your time or others`. Also, I`m HUGE on preventative maintenance whether it is by looking at one`s health- physical and mental well-being, or with mechanical objects.

Many are out there like me, and I`d just assume likewise that they may have been accused of being OCD at some point in their lives as well. There are folks that might think of these behaviors as impairments (at least with me on a non-clinical level) but I look at them as nothing more than a defining character of whom I am.
    2002 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    WSUcommuter,

That is very well said :2thumbs: Based on what you say, nope, you don`t sound like having anything clinical to worry about. I agree with the point Accumulator made earlier about clinical terminology being hap hazardously assigned with little, if any, understanding of what it really means. This is a pitfall of popular "pop psychology".

True diagnosis of OCD ( or any psychological disorder) comes only after a very serious evaluation sometimes requiring a team effort to accurately assign it. The principal tool uses by psychiatrists to do so is the DSM-IV /TR. For those interested, here`s the basis text of the categorization for OCD

When I first learned about they types of anxiety disorders, I was cautious not to say anything about my detailing. I kinda didn`t want to be the "Anna O" for a new, automotive related sub category. (j/k!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorta funny how detailing and cars seem less and less important to me even though my vehicles probably look better than they ever have :nixweiss When I hit the deer in my previously-perfect S8 it didn`t even spoil the afternoon. When I was younger it would`ve given me fits to know it would never be even close to the way it was; I probably would`ve had to sell it lest it drive me up the wall. Gee, maybe I really *am* getting old

daveb- Could be, I forget but that sounds right. I do suggest that you, having been diagnosed with genuine OCD, approach activities such as detailing with a modicum of caution. All a matter of balance and some people have to work harder to achieve that balance than do others.

WSUcommuter- Well put :xyxthumbs Heh heh, people who flippantly label things obsessive impairment often seem to have a few impairments of their own, which are usually somebody else`s fault

Post Thanks / Like
    I know one detailer who legitimately has OCD on this site.

My gf had it...Its a pretty nasty, life-changing disease. Regarding to detailing, I can`t see it doing more than taking an inordinate amount time out of your life.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think very few here would truly be diagnosed with OCD. BUT, I`d say most here would definitely quality as being anal retentive as it pertains to automotive appearance.

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think detailing and OCD behavior kinda go hand in hand, mainly because we have little control over the environments that our cars see once it leaves the garage/driveaway. Your car is always at the mercy of someone else or the weather, that it gets really stressful worrying about it all the time.

I know I leave 20 minutes early for classes to make sure I get an end park spot and hug the curb as well as wait in my car for the person to park next to me, so I can stare them down to make sure there extra cautious in not hitting my car. I`ve also been taking the backgrounds home from class, because there seems to be a lot of trucks kicking up debris on the highway I travel. I already have a very small chip in my windshield from one truck

My behavior is pretty extreme to the average person, but it still doesn`t compare to real OCD behavior. :bolt

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are some things to look out for, especially dealing with cars and everyday life (these are my "checks" and/or "behaviors")

1.) Before leaving the car in the parking lot, I count how many times I lock the car. If I don`t do it perfectly, I will do it again `til the lock is done just right. Ie, my car honks on the second button hit. The flashers light up the all the time. I have to see the lights light up, and the horn twice. This was worse, before I was placed on a well known SSRI.

2.) Driving - Thinking that you are going to hit someone or that you hit someone (pedestrian, not a car). This is the one thing that bugs me the most!

3.) Alarm clocks, making sure that alarm clock goes off in the morning.

There used to be about 5 other things, but I have moved past those now. With the help of the SSRI.

In relation to detailing, I haven`t found any real OCD behaviors in my case. Yet, I know that any or all of these things will never go away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyDaJackal

I know I leave 20 minutes early for classes to make sure I get an end park spot and hug the curb as well as wait in my car for the person to park next to me, so I can stare them down to make sure there extra cautious in not hitting my car. I`ve also been taking the backgrounds home from class, because there seems to be a lot of trucks kicking up debris on the highway I travel. I already have a very small chip in my windshield from one truck

Yep, I know all those practices extremely well. It`s second nature to me and those around me don`t even give it a second thought any more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information