Post Thanks / Like
    I saw this watch when it first came out in Germany, but the price was very steep. 950 EU.

I was thinking about geting it because I might be able to get it under $400, which is still pretty expensive.

I just wanted to know what you guy think. The regular price is $900, which was dropped to $716.

If anybody has this watch let me know, because I would like to know if the seconds handle is a sweeping motion or ticking.

The specs on the watch are pretty solid. It has a Vijoux/ Eta 7750 movement. It is an automatic watch. The Eta 7750 movement can be found in a couple of Omega, Tag Heuer watches among others. The 7750 movement is an "economical" movement that is usually found in mid priced watches, according to one of the websites I found.

Most watches with this kind of movement were going for $700+, and I am talking about no big brand name watches.

Anybody that knows about watches let me know what you guys think.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know that much about watches but I got a Wittnauer a couple years ago when I graduated college. I got more comments on my $40 fossil watch and the Wittnauer stopped working a few months ago and I know it`s gonna cost a lot to get it fixed.

You can also get some really nice watches on clearance at overstock.com so there`s not my reason to spend much more then $100 on a nice watch in my opinion. Unless you have more money then you know what to do with.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m into watches and that particular one is not my taste. Due to that, I can`t see the justification of such a price.My understanding is that the 7750 chronograph movement is a respected one though

I replaced the battery on my Wittnauer a few weeks ago, a bit of PITA to open, but once I got it open, it`s a snap to finish the job.

By the same token, many people, more so who probably have no issue with spending big $$$ on watches, would shutter at the amounts we pay on detailing products. It`s all relative to what you like.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m a bit of a watch geek, and I think I`d look at something else. For one, that one will probably hold little value in the future.

The other is that it says Volkswagen on it!

For $400 you could get a pretty nice used Tag Heuer with papers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, ETA automatic movements always mean sweeping second hands and no battery...

Do you know the actual company that makes the watch?? That would tell us more.

$400 for a watch is really no big deal, especially if you`re planning on keeping it for a long time...and as long as it`s a quality one...

I agree with chpsk8, skip this no-name watch and find a good used Omega Seamaster Pro or a Sinn or a used Tag would still be nice...

A used Omega would be my first choice, as they are tremedously reliable quality pieces... Sinn is a german brand with very, very solid craftsmenship and can withstand decades of abuse...

Tag makes a pretty good watch, but not up to the same quality as the other two....

Good luck!!!

Watch hunting is so much fun!
    Life is just too short to drive a substandard vehicle...

Post Thanks / Like
    Some ETAs are battery powered. Many famous name "Swiss" brands use battery powered ETA movements. My Wittnauer has one.

ETA`s site lists some of both their mechanical and quartz movements.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D
    Some ETAs are battery powered. Many famous name "Swiss" brands use battery powered ETA movements. My Wittnauer has one.

ETA`s site lists some of both their mechanical and quartz movements.

He said it`s an automatic, though. Automatics aren`t battery-powered, quartz`s are...

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, ETA makes both. In this case, it sounds like the watch has a http://www.timezone.com/library/horologium/horologium631672313433425752]Valjoux 7750[/url].

Post Thanks / Like
    Valjoux 7750 is fairly common (and well respected movement) as far as automatic chronographs. You can get a hamilton auto chrono with the same movement for less than $600 brand new. Probably about $300-400 used.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom
    Valjoux 7750 is fairly common (and well respected movement) as far as automatic chronographs. You can get a hamilton auto chrono with the same movement for less than $600 brand new. Probably about $300-400 used.

Good advice. :2thumbs:

Hamilton makes nice watches at reasonable prices...You`d probably have an easier time finding one in your price range than an Omega or Sinn...

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it possible to get a watch with a sweeping second hand for under $200? Where can one learn about movements, which are good, and what watches they are used in? I am very interested in these watch threads, but I don`t know much about watches. I want something durable, nice looking, and accurate, but don`t really want to spend over $200. It`s just not worth it to me. My Timex Ironman gets me where I need to be on time and it costs about $30.
    "I can`t believe that we would lie in our graves wondering if we had spent our living days well." - Dave Matthews

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m more into antique watches than the newer one. I love my 1930`s Movado, my 50`s Hamilton, a 50`s Russian submariner`s watch and especially my two 1964 Accutron Spaceviews! My "daily driver" watch is a 30 yr old Seiko Tank watch that just keeps plugging away.

My one great watch story is I was walking past Tourneau in NYC one day a few yrs ago and saw an old watch in the window I HAD to have. It just drew me in. SO I went in and asked to see it. The salesman took it out of the window and handed to me, I put it on, walked around with it, decided I had to have it. I asked how muchh... he said "it was 250 but it has been reduced to 235." So I handed him my credit card and he looked at me funny... asked if I could instead give them a check or do a bank transfer. Huh? For $235? Well it turns out he was talking $235,000!!! There was no name on the face but on the back it was an Audemars Piquet, very rare, very old, solid white gold! I very carefully handed it back to him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by drewski59
    Well, ETA automatic movements always mean sweeping second hands and no battery...

Do you know the actual company that makes the watch?? That would tell us more.

$400 for a watch is really no big deal, especially if you`re planning on keeping it for a long time...and as long as it`s a quality one...

I agree with chpsk8, skip this no-name watch and find a good used Omega Seamaster Pro or a Sinn or a used Tag would still be nice...

A used Omega would be my first choice, as they are tremedously reliable quality pieces... Sinn is a german brand with very, very solid craftsmenship and can withstand decades of abuse...

Tag makes a pretty good watch, but not up to the same quality as the other two....

Good luck!!!

Watch hunting is so much fun!

You said it best, watch hunting is fun. Omega is my choice, otherwise, try to keep it a name brand.
    2001 Volvo S80 Black
    2002 Volvo C70 Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasty
    Is it possible to get a watch with a sweeping second hand for under $200? Where can one learn about movements, which are good, and what watches they are used in? I am very interested in these watch threads, but I don`t know much about watches. I want something durable, nice looking, and accurate, but don`t really want to spend over $200. It`s just not worth it to me. My Timex Ironman gets me where I need to be on time and it costs about $30.
    Wow, was just surfing and found this nice thread here. You can get an inexpensive automatic - Swatch make a decent one. My suggestion . . . save your money and get a nicer more expensive one. I love my Omega Seamaster Pro. I also use Tiffany & Co. (quartz), Movado, Raymond Weil, Breitling. Get a good quality one that will last you for years if serviced properly.

Thread Information