Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Food for thought!

I think many carnauba manufacturers specify not to use h2o in conjunction in the wax application due to carnaubas allergy to water. Maybe i`m explaining it wrong. QD may be a different story.

Any add ons to this.

rd
    As Soon As I saw That Guys Cars Dirty I Knew He Was Going To Be A Failure! Donald Trump - The Apprentice

Post Thanks / Like
    I always did this with Zymol since that is what they tell you to do on the bottle. Always came out better after the water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm, this is very interesting... Now that I have another car to drive, I can do more weird stuff on the Aurora. I`ll have to give something like this a try (though it`s such a big car). Your review of Pink wax was interesting, especially the part about the mirror test, very inventive.

I don`t know that I`ll go buy another tin of wax just to try spit-shining my car, but I think I might give your technique a try with some #16. :xyxthumbs

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote: My grandfather sold shoes for more years than the ages of everyone in this post combined!

~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Spilchy not quite so sure of the validity of your claim with this post though. LOL

Spit-shine shoes (as I remember, and its been a long, long time, we used to heat the shoe polish before applying it) newspaper and vinegar to clean glass and coke to clean chrome, feels like I’m a kid again….

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    I might have to give this technique a try this weekend when I detail the MG with some Natty Wax.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TOGWT

Quote: My grandfather sold shoes for more years than the ages of everyone in this post combined!

Spilchy not quite so sure of the validity of your claim with this post though. LOL

You know when you read something and it immediately sparks a memory? Well Nick`s spit shine story and shoes immediately made me think of my grandfather and his decades of shoe experience. I still have all his brushes, gadgets and leather shoe shine bag. I don`t know, it just popped in to my head and flowed to the keyboard like that!

Sorry about the ramble, back to the thread at hand :p
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TOGWT

Spit-shine shoes (as I remember, and its been a long, long time, we used to heat the shoe polish before applying it)

I had an old marine tell me to "fire" my boots. More of less apply a coat of wax to the boots, then use a cigarette lighter to melt the wax on/into the leather, buff like crazy, then repeat until you got the look you wanted...worked great...I don`t thnk I`ll do that to my car though
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Spilchy- my comment was only made because if you combine all the ages of the posts before my 0.02c and then add my age you’d reach high treble figures in a hurry…LOL

I talked with some of the USMC guys here at the base they still clean their boots with spit-shine and hot polish. My grandfather was in the Royal Irish Guards and taught me (RAF) how to clean and press my uniform; I think to this day he’s the one who got me started on this AR cleaning thing.

OK enough of this reminiscing… I have a mini (US version not the ‘real’ thing) to detail this week-end and I’m going to try this Wax on, wax on, wax on, wax off thing. Thanks for the insight Nick T

~Hope this helps~

What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Don M

I had an old marine tell me to "fire" my boots. More of less apply a coat of wax to the boots, then use a cigarette lighter to melt the wax on/into the leather, buff like crazy, then repeat until you got the look you wanted...worked great...I don`t thnk I`ll do that to my car though

You can also use lighter fluid instead of water with the wax, which gives a lot of shine. I wouldn`t try that with a car either.

Post Thanks / Like
    A thought about “firing" your boots. Back in ‘52 my first issue had one pair of brogans with smooth leather and another with rough leather. We were told to put a thick layer of wax on the smooth boots and a very thick layer on the rough boots, and to then use a Zippo to melt the wax. On the smooth boots it melted the wax into the pores of the new leather, and on the rough boots it singed off some of the fuzz as well as filling the leather. I only did it a couple of times on the smooth leather, but the rough boots needed several firings. After the first few days most guys rough boots had mirror toes!

This still works on new shoes, but I’m waiting for somebody else to try it on their car.
    <B>OCD</B> sufferer and charter member of the
    <B>A</B>nal <B>R</B>etentive <B>Z</B>3 <B>O</B>wners <B>A</B>ssociation

Post Thanks / Like
    I put lighter fluid on my car and set it on fire to spread out and smooth my Nu-Finish, the once a year car polish. It works great! My car is hot.
    reason trumps faith

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by pocon1

I put lighter fluid on my car and set it on fire to spread out and smooth my Nu-Finish, the once a year car polish. It works great! My car is hot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Nick T.

A thought about ?firing" your boots. Back in ?52 my first issue had one pair of brogans with smooth leather and another with rough leather. We were told to put a thick layer of wax on the smooth boots and a very thick layer on the rough boots, and to then use a Zippo to melt the wax. On the smooth boots it melted the wax into the pores of the new leather, and on the rough boots it singed off some of the fuzz as well as filling the leather. I only did it a couple of times on the smooth leather, but the rough boots needed several firings. After the first few days most guys rough boots had mirror toes!

This still works on new shoes, but I?m waiting for somebody else to try it on their car.

Spit shining your boots is an daily fact of life in the CF(Canadian Armed Forces). Only Kiwi black polish and polishing cloth is allowed to be used on crown issued boots and shoes.

The method you are referring to is known as "Burn Polish", by using a open flame to the flammable polish you are virtually smoothing out the wax in the polish, but at the same time removing much of the solvent to give the polish less motbility(if that is a word !) and faster set in time. This method is not allowed to be practiced by new recruits, but more seasoned soldiers will use it. I think this is the only difference between Kiwi`s Professional line and their retail version of shoe polishes is the reduced solvent. To reduce the solvent in the polish I just set my entire tin of retail Kiwi a flame just to remove a certain amount of solvent and then snuff out the flame to obtain a reduced solvent based polish which will build up and dry faster than the original polish. I don`t think car wax work in the same manner as the solvent and oils are needed to hold the protective ingredients together. Hope this helps !

Post Thanks / Like
    With the revived interest in spit shining, and the odds being in favor of the weather turning nasty really fast (it is November after all) I decided to give the method a try...with #16 and NXT Spray Booster.

I was going to put a coat on the car anyway since I know the window of good weather will probably end quickly. So I gave the car a good wash, then got out the #16 & NXT Booster. Putting a finishing pad on the PC, I spread a small amount on the pad with a butter knife. Then (after properly shaking the bottle), I sprayed a mist over the hood.

Setting the PC to 3.5, I began applying the #16. Dang, did it go on sweet. I was able to cover the entire hood with that one application, it took a few minutes for all the Booster wax to be absorbed/dry, leaving a thicker than usual, but not overly thick residue/haze. I completed the entire car, using probably less than 1.5 oz of #16 and about half as much NXT Booster.

It took about 20 mnutes (including interruptions) to cover the car, so I began removing the haze. The first pass with the terry towel felt like I was going to have a real problem removing the stuff. It felt really hard and rough. But the second the nap "broke through" the haze, it wiped off like a dream. There was absolutely NO dust, and it felt so slick that I almost wish a cat would come along so I could see it fall on it`s butt when it tried jumping on the hood.

I went ahead and gave the rims the same treatment, and finished the tires with Hot Shine (spray can)

Here are the pics (the wife took the `good` camera to her grand mothers)

Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like
    DavidB,

What a blast from the past! :xyxthumbs I used Beauty-Shine detailing products 12 or 13 years ago when we had a couple of detailing shops that used their products here in Santa Barbara. I had great results using the Blue Carnauba Paste Wax and Carnauba Combo Finishing Cream. Both of these products were very easy to use and I always received compliments on my car after using them. For some reason, both detailing shops went out of business and I could no longer find a place to purchase them.

I might just have to get a tin of the Blue and the Pink wax and put them in my detailing "Tool Box"!

Nick T., great post on the "spit shine" technique! Great technique with good products always produce Superb Results! :up

Cheers,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information