Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator, you`re a sick, sick man

My garage is already overrun with buckets. A wheel and tire bucket, an engine bay bucket, wash buckets, rinse buckets, a bucket to hold dirty towels/applicators, a bucket for washing PC pads, buckets in my cart to hold tools/product, etc... and those are just the car buckets If a bucket brigade is needed, I`m your man.

As the inevitable age creep continues it`s attack, the idea of not carrying the buckets around and around the vehicle is enticing.

Chenille vs Wool vs Sponge vs BHB...A discussion for the ages

Periodically, rinse the entire vehicle, keeping it wet so you don`t get water spots, and dump and refill the rinse buckets

Both very good tips :up

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Mr. Clean

My garage is already overrun with buckets.....As the inevitable age creep continues it`s attack, the idea of not carrying the buckets around and around the vehicle is enticing.

Yeah, I have a fair number of buckets too Got most of `em on casters. Don`t remember what *that* cost, but I appreciate the easy mobility every time.

Post Thanks / Like
    OMG !!! You`re Insane !!!

How long does this take you ?

rubber coated nozzles and easy to use (with one hand) shutoffs for each hose,
    Do you have pics of these nozzles ? Is this what Griot`s use to sell ? I wanted to get one to help me "dry with water".

Post Thanks / Like
    SK2003TypeS- Heh heh, yeah, I`m sorta out there when it comes to washing those two cars. Washing the S8 takes a minimum of three hours, usually more, but I REALLY keep it clean. The Jag, well, it takes as long as it takes- that one`s a labor of love and time stands still

Yep, those are Griot`s hoze nozzles. I got a pair of them for Christmas back when they first came out and I don`t care what anyone says about the price, I love `em. And every week, I think about what a thoughtful gift they were.

No pics to post (I gotta get modernized some day..), but I got the shutoffs at Sears in the lawn and garden dept. Craftsman pn 71-69429. Gray and black plastic, sold on a black and green cardboard card. The plastic ones are easier to use than the metal ones, but when the break they can launch the nozzle, so replace them as soon as they start to leak. One year warranty, which I take full advantage of.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by SK2003TypeS

Do you have pics of these nozzles ? Is this what Griot`s use to sell ? I wanted to get one to help me "dry with water".

You might be interested in this. At my local Wal-Mart, in the automotive section, they have a black rubber coated fireman`s nozzle for $5. After using cheaper, well, not really cheaper, stuff for a long time. The style of nozzle that everyone else seems to use worked nice. The problem was no cut off. Spent $4 on a brass one.

It is my understanding that the Griot`s nozzle is the same one they sell at Costco for $20. You`d still need a cut off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tips. I gotta get a cut off valve and a rubber nozzle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by SK2003TypeS

...I gotta get a cut off valve and a rubber nozzle.

Get more than one shut-off if you get the Sears one (which is SO easy to operate). Trust me on this, you`ll be glad you did when the first one start leaking at the exact wrong time. You just GOTTA change it when it starts to leak; I`m not foolin` about how it`ll launch the nozzle!

Post Thanks / Like
    You just GOTTA change it when it starts to leak; I`m not foolin` about how it`ll launch the nozzle!
    Ok, now you`re scaring me....what if the nozzle would launch ...onto the.....P***T....doh !:scared

Post Thanks / Like
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill D- I dunno, I *think* the two devices are different. The shower-foam gun really makes *foam*-like suds, quite different from anything else I`ve tried. I`d guess that the Brookstone thing produces a stream of water/soap mix that isn`t nearly as foamy. More like a low-power pressure washer.

Might still work fine for inside-the-mitt use, but none of these things are exactly handy or convenient for that.

Just filling the mitt with the shower-foam gun (while the mitt is still in the wash solution bucket) and then gently whisking it across the surface while the foamy water seeps out works pretty well. Well, at least on well-protected, hard paint that isn`t too dirty. IMO there`s a bit of a range between the "optimal" and the "acceptable".

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok Accumulator, will do , thanks :up
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    in case you see funny characters for quotes in post #1, i`m going to repost a hopefully none squigglies post #1

Accumulator`s Non-Marring Wash Technique

A few people have asked me about my non-marring "extreme wash regimen". I`ve altered it a bit recently (losing the problematic siphon-feed), so here`s the current version. I`ve used this on a few vehicles and it will NOT mar the finish in any way *IF* the paint is protected with something that`s pretty slick and the vehicle is washed frequently enough that the dirt isn`t allowed to really build up. If you have to "scrub" the dirt off, nothing will prevent marring.

Note that the real problem is that when washing, you have to move (abrasive) dirt over the surface of the vehicle. This can cause marring. Some dirt can "migrate" deep into the knap of a mitt away from the finish, but some will not.

This is admittedly a rather extreme method of washing a vehicle, and it`s not something I do on anything except my S8 and XJS. It`s just too much work.

This is a condensed version, omitting work on wheels/wheelwells/undercarriage, the use of BHBs in nooks and crannies, and drying technique (blot with WW MFs). It merely covers the basic washing of the exterior. It`s can be tweaked to individual preference, but this is how I do it. Please post questions if anything isn`t clear or if you wonder why I do something the way I do.

Supplies: two hoses (one for each side of vehicle), rubber coated nozzles and easy to use (with one hand) shutoffs for each hose, five buckets (two wash, two rinse (one set for each side of vehicle, and one for used mitts)), several chenille wash mitts (the more the better), and some Griot`s Car Wash. Optional: MF mitts, additional (long) hose with a shower-foam gun attached (filled with an eyeballed mix of Griot`s wash solution and set on "full strength mix").

The separate systems for each side of the vehicle make this labor-intensive method easier and a little quicker, but are not absolutely necessary.

Mix the wash solution to your preferred strength. In the buckets or in the shower-foam gun, I just do it by eye, but I make it plenty strong. Try to NOT make a bunch of foamy suds- make solution, not foam. Fill your rinse buckets with clear water.

Begin by rinsing the entire vehicle thoroughly. Try to rinse off as much dirt as possible. Start washing at the top of the vehicle as follows:

With the water shut off (this is why you need the easy to use shutoffs), put the nozzle INSIDE a clean wash mitt. Dunk the mitt into the wash solution, trying to get as much solution as possible in the mitt. Hold the soapy mitt over the finish with the knap of the mitt barely touching the finish. Turn the water on just slightly. You want the water to lubricate the surface and rinse away loosened dirt, but you do NOT want so much water that you overly dilute the wash solution in the mitt. Sweep the soapy mitt over the finish, barely touching it. Don`t do too large an area. Put the mitt in your rinse bucket and turn the water on full blast to rinse it out. Turn off the water. Repeat until you`ve cleaned the panel. Remove the nozzle from the mitt and rinse the panel. Inspect. Repeat as needed. If at any time you notice ANY contamination in the mitt that doesn`t rinse out; toss the dirty mitt in the "mitt bucket" and switch to a clean mitt. Optional: rewash the presumably clean surface using a MF mitt and rinse.

Always endeavor to just barely touch the surface. This takes a little practice, especially on the vertical panels. Don`t start to "cheat" by covering bigger and bigger areas as you go or by using a mitt once it`s visibly contaminated. Add more Car Wash to the wash bucket if you notice it`s getting diluted. Periodically, rinse the entire vehicle, keeping it wet so you don`t get water spots, and dump and refill the rinse buckets

Optional (highly recommended if the vehicle is especially dirty): put the nozzle of the shower-foam gun inside the mitt for the first passes, blasting foamy wash solution through the mitt. Watch that you don`t rub the mitt against the finish with the rigid nozzle of the shower-foam gun (this is another technique that takes a while to master). Then rinse and rewash using the "regular" method explained above.
    Thanks 4u2nvinmtl thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    jahoo- Thanks for tidying that up...I need to rewrite/update this thing (supposed to make it an "article" too) but I never get around to it

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    jahoo- Thanks for tidying that up...I need to rewrite/update this thing (supposed to make it an "article" too) but I never get around to it
    It`s only been 6 years. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Legacy99- Gee, how time flies, I must be having all sorts of fun....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information