Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t know if its been mentioned or not yet, but when doing glass if its particularly full of crap and water spots that won`t come off with glass cleaner I use megs plastx and polish with a MF towel until its pretty much dry then buff off with a clean mf towel. Great finish with no streaks or water spots. Only on the outside though. I`m sure it will scratch the heck out of tint.

Post Thanks / Like
    clay bar on glass works wonders to for those stubborn water spots......

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LMBmikeZ
    Just went through the whole thread, some great tips thanks guys!

Just wanted to mention that IMO when at the "2 bucket wash" part of your wash you should wash the car form the top down. So start with the roof, front and rear windshield (rinse), then rear trunk/hatch down to top of bumper and all side windows (rinse), then hood and front fenders (rinse), now the doors and rear quarter panels (rinse and repeat for the other side), now the rear bumper (rinse), and finally do the front bumper. IMO the front bumper is where the most dirt and contaminates will be and I wouldn`t want it done first because you are more likely to carry the particles along for the rest of the wash causing scratches.

Note: 9/10 times I am washing coupes (my own coupe or customers) sedans may need more rinses down between panels........just a judgment call I guess

That`s the order i follow as well.

Upper doors before hood though.

3 mitts, for different lattitudes of the car.

I always get the old "rinse water bucket becomes as soapy as the soap bucket" though.

I`m thinking of going back to using my second bucket as replacement soapwater for when the first needs changed, instead of the trad. two bucket way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Concourswanna b

I always get the old "rinse water bucket becomes as soapy as the soap bucket" though...

I use a big spring-clamp on my rinse buckets so I can easily keep track of which is which.

I`m thinking of going back to using my second bucket as replacement soapwater for when the first needs changed, instead of the trad. two bucket way.

If your rinse/"second" bucket`s water gets dirty, and I suspect that most people`s rinse water does, then I wouldn`t try that.

And I`m a bit here...why would your "first" bucket`s water need changed? It`s the shampoo mix, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    I use a big spring-clamp on my rinse buckets so I can easily keep track of which is which.

That`s not a bad idea. I just use two different color buckets. Gray is rinse/dirty and white is soap/clean.

Post Thanks / Like

I like that idea.

If your rinse/"second" bucket`s water gets dirty, and I suspect that most people`s rinse water does, then I wouldn`t try that.

I probably didn`t say that very clearly...:doh Sure, the rinse water would not be a good substitute for the wash water. I guess I meant to say "just use a one-bucket method, but have a second reserve bucket of suds ready for whenever I feel the first bucket is somehow contaminated." With this method, the mitt would be rinsed out well and often with the hose.

Maybe I need to ring out the mitt more after rinsing when using the two-bucket way.

And I`m a bit here...why would your "first" bucket`s water need changed? It`s the shampoo mix, right?

Well, I do notice a higher degree of liquid loss with the lamb’s wool mitts, vs. the old days of the grout sponge. I found those to be faster, but I swear I noticed a little marring. I love the waschpudel, but I see slight, slight, slight marring with it, as well.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finish Kare FK 1000P

Use a dampened, soft applicator pad with a very light pressure and spread product thinly and evenly. Leave Finish Kare FK1000P for a few minutes (apply to 2-3 panels before removing. Spritz the paint surface with Finish Kare FK#425 and then remove with a clean applicator, this will cut down on any product dusting and finally buff surface with a clean dry towel
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Concourswanna B- OK, that cleared up some of my confusion. But eh, I suspect I just approach this stuff too differently...I can`t imagine *ever* letting an unrinsed/soiled wash mitt/sponge/brush/etc. get into my shampoo mix lest it contaminate it. I make sure all my wash media are completely clean before they go back into that bucket, and not that due to my wash technique my wash media stay so clean that my *rinse* water is usually perfectly clean at the end of a wash (even when I do a winter-filthy vehicle).

Post Thanks / Like
    To add one of mine:

When you`re doing a task that involves a spray bottle in one hand and a towel or something else in the other, keep your finger off the spray trigger. For some reason I involuntarily spray the bottle sometimes and it gets on things it isn`t supposed to. So just hold the bottle without your finger on the trigger.

Post Thanks / Like
    P21 S GEPC works wonders on removing hard water spots from the windscreen.

Very effective in removing dried ONR stains. Found out the hard way when out of station and was without clay & KAIO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 01GreyStangGT
    Mr. Clean Magic Erasers work for getting wax or polish residue off of textured black plastic.

Of course, taping the trim makes it not get on it at all.

A simple pink eraser from the school supplies isle works wonders for that too.

Post Thanks / Like

<span style="font-size:14px;">Best wax residue remover for trim:``<u> Creamy Peanut Butter</u>

`

Seriously, it works better and lasts longer than 99% of the "trim restorers" out there.` Just use a rag or junk MF to apply it, (put the towel around a few fingers and scoop a little peanut butter out of the jar), wipe or rub it into the trim and then just wipe it off.` If the trim has any texture to it, an old toothbrush is a handy tool to knock out wax residue.` Try it...it works and its delicious

<span style="color:#a9a9a9;"><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="font-family:tahoma, geneva, sans-serif;">"Detailing is my Zen....and shiny cars get me all excited."</span> </span></span>
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    There is so much great information here. I think I will read this a bunch.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: the `little tricks you`ve learned` thread

Quote Originally Posted by RarasHouseOfWax View Post
    Best wax residue remover for trim: Creamy Peanut Butter

Seriously, it works better and lasts longer than 99% of the "trim restorers" out there.x Just use a rag or junk MF to apply it, (put the towel around a few fingers and scoop a little peanut butter out of the jar), wipe or rub it into the trim and then just wipe it off.x If the trim has any texture to it, an old toothbrush is a handy tool to knock out wax residue.x Try it...it works and its delicious
    Although this may seem to work, it`s likely the peanut oil that`s doing the trick, but as an organic oil, it will go rancid...but perhaps wears off before that? I like Stoners Trim Shine...or the UV protection of 303 Aerospace Protectant.
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: the `little tricks you`ve learned` thread

GREAT THREAD! My $.02 off the top of my head...

Wash Method:
    - Inside-->out, begin inside, remove any debris. If dusty, optionally open all doors and blow out with a leaf blower. Vacuum carpet mats, then remove mats and vacuum carpet. Clean interior glass. Clean/Treat dash, console, doors and such. Clean carpets (extraction is best) and cloth seats as required. Clean door jams and treat rubber door seals.
    Wash vehicle top down either 2 bucket or ONR. Wheels and wells are always last. Don`t forget rocker panels that curl under and open/clean gas filler area. If wet wash, use leaf blower to dry. Clean exterior windshield and windows. Top with a spray wax, or clay, polish, `wax` as desired.

- ONR wash method: Mix 2+ oz. ONR with water in a quart spray bottle. Fill a 2 gal bucket with clean hot/warm water. Soak a waffle weave towel and wring out. Top down, spray panel, wipe with wet ww towel, then dry with clean MF towel. Turn WW towel and rinse as necessary. (above mixture also good for quick detail, bird droppings, clay lube).

- For cleaning fabric seats and headliner, use diluted liquid laundry detergent in a spray bottle (it`s made for cleaning fabrics). spray lightly and wipe with clean MF towel and/or extract.

- For cleaning glass, Stoners Invisible Glass is great.

- Clean and clay the windshield. Coat with Rainx OR a spray wax (I like DG Aquawax).

- For treating and protecting plastic/vinyl/rubber (inside and out) 303 Aerospace Protectant. Works well on tires too...spray, swipe with a paint brush and walk away - results in a nice black, satin finish.

- Optional: 303 Fabric Guard for carpet mats, carpets, cloth seats (clean well first!)

- Don`t be `afraid` to use Simple Green. It gets an unwarranted bad rap because somebody left it way too long on soft aluminum and there was some etching. SG is a good APC, environmentally safe, and made in the USA! Dilute as the job requires 10:1 for light cleaning - 4:1 moderate cleaning - full strength for wheels/wells and engine bays (For aluminum, rinse within 10 minutes dwell or so)

- Always allow cleaners to dwell some before brushing/scrubbing/rinsing - but don`t let them dry out! (it`s like soaking the pots `n pans).

- Remember that most household cleaners work equally well in the car and typically cost less than "auto designer products".
    Thanks 4u2nvinmtl thanked for this post

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112

Thread Information