Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

To apply RainX without any haze or streaks then this is the tried and true method. I apply RainX at least 3 times a week to various cars and I do it this way every time. I`ve even gone back to people a week later to ask them how their windshields are doing and they have nothing but good things to say. No mention of streaks or haze at all.

1. Wash window with glass cleaner.

2. Apply a bucket of RainX to your glass. I like to load it on heavy but you can use however much you like to use.

3. Allow it to dry for a little while. Vacuum the car or something.

4. Wash car. While you are washing the car, hit the windshield with your brush or mitt or whatever you are using. Wash the glass just like you were washing any other part of your car. When you rinse the car there will be no trace of haze or streaks in your glass and the RainX will be left to do its work the next time it rains.

:xyxthumbs

If you were a RainX hater before reading this and haven`t tried this method then bust out that RainX and give it one more chance doing it this way. Its way less work and it works soooooooooo well. If Auqapel isn`t an option then this is a great way to get some beading action on your glass. =)

Hi I would like to check if you have problems with RainX wiper squeaking... because after RainX is left on the windscreen for a period of time without reapplying, it breaks down and causes the wiper to jump and squeak.

Post Thanks / Like
    When detailing wheels a clay bar will easily remove embedded brake dust and leave a smooth beautiful surface. This works especially well on chrome wheels. Note the wheels must be cool for this to work properly!

For those of you that have wood interiors, I`ve found Cory`s High Gloss Piano Polish works extremely well for providing an unbelievable shine and great protection. It`s also very easy to use.
    Afshin

90 Porsche 928 GT - Marine Blue

09 MazdaSpeed3 - Metropolitan Gray Mica

04 Honda Pilot - Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    Try Leatherique Cleaner on all exterior rubber seals For Removal of wax build up...Before you wash the car with a tooth brush dipped in the cleaner...It removes and treats the Seals ..Door handles and Windshield seals! You Dont need to worry about the run off..Then wash the car ..(Yes Peanut butter works also)

Also wrap your detail brushes with tape on the metal edge!

Will prevent Scratches...learned this one and have NEVER forgotten it!! All My new brushes Get Tape before they are put into service!

Post Thanks / Like
    I threw one of these towels into each of my cars. When I am sitting at the train station waiting, I use them to wipe down my interior (and taught my wife to do the same in her car!). They are lint free and are 100% cotton flannel. They work great for quick interior dusting and even wiping the windows down inside. :xyxthumbs
    2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (Slightly Modified) - Black
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland - Black Metallic
    2012 Yamaha Stryker - Red Metallic
    2015 Polaris Slingshot SL - Red Pearl

Post Thanks / Like
    Last year I started mixing Meguiars quick detailer to my car shampoo and water. It left an awesome shine and the water just slide right off the car making a very easy dry job.

Post Thanks / Like
    One cup of ammonia to 1 gal. of water- to clean carpets and fabric uph. Murphy oil soap in spray bottle for vinyl and leather cleaning WD40 for fender wells.Original GO-JO hand cleaner makes a good tire dressing makes tires black not shiney

Post Thanks / Like
    A shop vac works good for getting the water out of crevices after washing...you do have to have a steady hand however but it does work well with the nozzle attachment. AIO works good on interior wood as long as it`s "previously sealed".

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried everything to get rid of those darn water spots? Rewashing, vinegar, buffing and the works? Still can`t get rid of all of them? Not sure what to try next?

If your in that situation, try using a clay bar. I`ve found it really works wonders on water spots. Even on windows. I used to really struggle with cars who have had bad water spots on the windows for a legnthy period of time... normal glass cleaners wouldn`t do the trick, it would take a strong glass polish like Zaino. Then one day i tried claying them. The results were perfect. Water spots gone, smooth clean, spot free surface left.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think RainX is a terrible product! :down I DO NOT like the way it causes wiper chatter and skipping. It may work fine at high driving speeds, but at low speeds the generated headwind isnt sufficient to carry the water droplets off the glass. The water beads TOO WELL on the glass leaving distinct wet and dry areas. The droplet build-up necessitates wiper use which causes blade chatter on the dry areas. Unfortunately, glass treated with RainX will never again behave like untreated glass. Nothing removes this stuff. I`ve spoken with the manufacturer at length about this effect. They offer little help and seem genuinely unconcerned. Frankly I`m suprised the product has had the success it has.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by fogertyt

I think RainX is a terrible product! :down I DO NOT like the way it causes wiper chatter and skipping. It may work fine at high driving speeds, but at low speeds the generated headwind isnt sufficient to carry the water droplets off the glass. The water beads TOO WELL on the glass leaving distinct wet and dry areas. The droplet build-up necessitates wiper use which causes blade chatter on the dry areas. Unfortunately, glass treated with RainX will never again behave like untreated glass. Nothing removes this stuff. I`ve spoken with the manufacturer at length about this effect. They offer little help and seem genuinely unconcerned. Frankly I`m suprised the product has had the success it has.
    Have you tried Naphtha (as in Zippo lighter fluid) ? I tried it on the advise of Ron K, and it seemed to remove the Rain-X completely (well the wipers stopped chattering, anyway)
    ~Footy

My lawyers have advised me to say nothing until the results of the blood test come through...

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by fogertyt

I disagree:up

Some people get the chatter and some don`t. I love the stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have acquired several of my wife`s "demoted" make-up brushes!

They are great for interior work. Soft brissels. And they come in a variety of shapes and sizes.

You can usually find them at Dollar Stores also.

Like these. (these are more expensive, but you get the idea)...

Bill Luster

`00 Trans Am / `82 Vette

Click here for:Bill`s Pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by stanger99

I disagree:up

Some people get the chatter and some don`t. I love the stuff.

I love the stuff too! as long as you go about putting it on right and that means a ton of buffing, it works amazing and lasts for ever.

I have never had a problem with wiper chatter on any car, truck or van that I have used it on, thats with both new and old wipers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Footy

Have you tried Naphtha (as in Zippo lighter fluid) ? I tried it on the advise of Ron K, and it seemed to remove the Rain-X completely (well the wipers stopped chattering, anyway)

Thanks for the suggestion, but I`ve already replaced the windshield. :xyxthumbs

From what I`ve been told RainX is a proprietary silicone formula suspended in a carrier alcohol. Appied, the alcohol flows the silicone into the microscopic pores in the glass and then evaporates, leaving the silicone behind to fill the pores.

For what its worth, here`s a list of chemicals I`ve used with no success: mineral spirits, acetone, laquer thinner, unleaded gasoline, isopropyl alcohol, a pressure washer, Tide, Dawn, and per RainX tech support - Bar Keeper`s Friend. I havent been able to find anything to remove it. (In retrospect I shoud have tried denatured alcohol, but I didnt think of it at the time.)

I suppose many people must find RainX a useful product; otherwise it would have dissappeared long ago. Personally I do not.

Future users should use caution because its a one way trip. Personally I dont think its worth the risk.

Sidebar--- Since naptha is a petroleum based product, could the petroleum residue left behind from the naptha be acting as a lubricant for the wiperblades? Has your success with the lighter fluid been long term?

Post Thanks / Like
    For applying my favorite vinyl protectant vinylex.I bought 6 foam paint brushes from the hardware store. They soak up the protectant so a little goes a long way. Let it sit for 30 minutes then buff off the remaining. ALOT easier than spraying it on a towel!
    2018 Ram Big Horn CTD
    2009 Lexus IS250
    1999 ChampioN 181 Bassboat
    1968 Plymouth Roadrunner 383 4spd

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread Information