Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Post Thanks / Like
    Brad B.- Yeah, between cleaning the rack, rinsing out its channels, drying it with the compressor, and then QDing it (ValueGard Fast Finish is *great* for this)...well, it sure does take some time! I did remove the cross-bars, which makes everything a little easier (and cleans up the look in a way I really like).

Quote Originally Posted by C. Charles Hahn
    Easy answer: shave the rails.

Oh believe me, I`ve thought about it! I bet I`ve given serious thought to shaving every rack-equipped SUV/wagon I`ve ever owned!

BUT...leaving asided that this is the cheapie beater...I had the rack off when I corrected the roof and I gave it a good hard look ("Is this worth $1500 or so?"). While it didn`t look as (surprisingly!) weird as the Yukon did that way, it didn`t look as swell as I might`ve thought, maybe because it also has a brushbar and tubular sidesteps (which have, again surprisingly, really grown on me).

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll have to try this, maybe the sloped driveway I hate so much will benefit me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Will try it next wash!! :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    First post. Hello.

My drying technique: I fill a clean and dedicated bucket with cold water. I then dip and prime my chamois in this water, ring out half the water and begin top down drying the car. After each swipe and when the chamois is saturated, I then dunk it in the cold water, ring it out fully OUTSIDE the bucket, dunk again, and ring out half the water, resume drying, repeat. After the car is dry, I have used at least half the bucket of clean cold water cleaning the chamois off. I get the best results this way.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickMachine
    First post. Hello.

My drying technique: I fill a clean and dedicated bucket with cold water. I then dip and prime my chamois in this water, ring out half the water and begin top down drying the car. After each swipe and when the chamois is saturated, I then dunk it in the cold water, ring it out fully OUTSIDE the bucket, dunk again, and ring out half the water, resume drying, repeat. After the car is dry, I have used at least half the bucket of clean cold water cleaning the chamois off. I get the best results this way.

First of all welcome to the forum. Secondly, get rid of that chamois.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Legacy99
    First of all welcome to the forum. Secondly, get rid of that chamois.

Booooo.

Post Thanks / Like
    We dry with compressed air and MF towels. Basically using the air to blow cracks etc.. And instead of making lots of contact with the towel on the paint the MF is mostly used to capture water that we blow into the towel to make only using air a tad faster..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickMachine
    .. I have used at least half the bucket of clean cold water cleaning the chamois off. I get the best results this way..

Disclaimer- If what you`re doing now works for you, then no reason to change anything no matter what we suggest

But...I wonder about that "cleaning the chamois" :think: I`d get all the dirt off during the wash, to the extent that the drying medium remains clean. If my drying media get dirty I figure I botched up the wash; any residual dirt that comes off during the drying step could cause marring as the drying medium could press it against the paint and the drying motions might move that (pressed-against-the-paint) dirt across the paint causing marring.

Just food for thought (repeat that disclaimer! )...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information