Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I just washed my car today. I don`t know how much longer I can do it! I have absolutely NO choice but to clean in direct sunlight OR when the sun is setting (have to be quick before it gets dark). We`re on well water (with a water softener), and the water spots appear before I`m done drying the car. I *was* drying the car with a chamois, but there is too much rubbing for my liking (that and I have to work the water spots out as I`m cleaning. On bad days, the side of the car will dry before I have a chance to dry it out, leaving it looking worse than before I cleaned it).

Here is my method:

Light pressure wash prior to cleaing (and to get around wheel wells/wheels)

Chamois Dry

QD (Zaino/Meguir)

I`m really starting to get disgouraged (sp). What can I do, besides the above, to improve my problem? I only have the small MF from Meguir`s and have NO idea where I can purchase larger MF towels locally (Ottawa, Canada).

Post Thanks / Like
    Konowl, I have similar concerns. Because I`m thorough (i.e., slow as molasses!) I have to take special care to avoid the waterspot problem. So, throughout the hour or more that it takes me to wash, I keep hosing down the entire car. Also, picking up on a thread here, I spritz her with distilled water before the final drying.

For drying, I`m using the big waffleweave. It`s a dream! :up

Post Thanks / Like
    That the one from Pakshak? THink I`m gonna send in a large order and get lots and lots of MF stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    What do you guys think about using the California Water blade on the paint surface? Is it safe?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    :welcome, acura_honda. For some of these basic questions, the search engine will be very useful for you.

I did a simple search: "CWB OR blade" and came up with lots and lots of relevant threads. As you`ll see, this subject has been talked to death on Autopia, and there`s still no consensus. These three threads might be good for starters:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...t=CWB+OR+blade

Post Thanks / Like
    Is one of those drying blades that you slide across the body a big detailing no-no? :nervous:
    Daily Vehicle: 2001 Chevy Astro

Devoted student of the detailing arts.

Minivan nut & RC enthusiast.

Club DJ and Music fanatic.

Post Thanks / Like
    YES. Do NOT use the California Water Blade or similar on the body. It`s only a matter of time before you put nice big scratches into the paint.

They`re great for glass, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have hard water and always get spots no matter how quickly I dry. Obviously, I can`t wash in the garage, and the sun hits in front of the garage by 10:00 AM. A leaf blower helps. Also, ONR has been a real eye opener because it seems to soften the water and leaves the paint so smooth.

Although the leaf blower helps, I bought an "Air Wand" nozzle on eBay and have found that the thin, long nozzle stream really makes the leaf blower twice as easy to work with; skims the water droplets off so nice. Leaves very little buffing to complete the job.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    jaymz- Yeah, I really like the AirWand, but there`s a bit of a learning curve to it IMO and I`d sure *NEVER* let that "MF strip" touch my paint.

Holding your free hand over part of the opening is a good way to concentrate the airflow.

Post Thanks / Like
    With the rain season here, it sure seems like I`m using my Air Wand and mini blower every other day!. Got to take it easy when you first acquaint yourself with it. I`m still figuring out the perfect way to handle it, but coupled with the mini blower, it gets up to 90-95% of the water off the car. The rest you got to QD and dry with a WW.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D
    With the rain season here, it sure seems like I`m using my Air Wand and mini blower every other day!. Got to take it easy when you first acquaint yourself with it. I`m still figuring out the perfect way to handle it, but coupled with the mini blower, it gets up to 90-95% of the water off the car. The rest you got to QD and dry with a WW.
    Any harm in doing that to a car that is wet and dirty after a rain? I guess it`s no different than driving down the road with the wind blowing against it. I`ll have to look into trying this

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RedlineIRL
    Any harm in doing that to a car that is wet and dirty after a rain? I guess it`s no different than driving down the road with the wind blowing against it. I`ll have to look into trying this

It may seem counterintuitive, but you want to rinse down the wet-from-the rain car first, then dry it. I can do that in my garage, because I just squeegee away the excess on the floor, but one could pull up to the driveway, rinse down the car, while it`s still in the rain, pull it in the garage, and then dry with the blowers. Also, the rain here is fairly clean. When I lived in NJ, maybe only part of the time at best, could I get away with doing this.

Not an option for someone without a garage or needs to keep the car outside all the time though, so it`s only for special circumstances.

Post Thanks / Like
    It may seem counterintuitive, but you want to rinse down the wet-from-the rain car first, then dry it..

Especially if you use a CRS for the rinsing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Especially if you use a CRS for the rinsing

Certainly! I`ve had mine for a year, and wow, one of those must haves for the super enthusiast! It`s worth it just for rinsing down house windows alone!

Post Thanks / Like
    .. It`s worth it just for rinsing down house windows alone!

Heh heh, I`m too cheap to use mine for that

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information