Post Thanks / Like

`

<span style="font-size:24px;">Introduction to Dilution Ratios

by Will Russell

`

Properly diluting your chemicals is as important to a weekend warrior as it is to a professional detailer. `It is crucial to getting the right results with whatever product you are using. `Too high of a concentration, you can risk damaging the surface, too low and you might not get any results at all. `And in the case of quick detailers or clay bar lubrication, with too low of a concentration you also risk damaging the vehicle.

`

This is going to be a very brief and simple explanation of how to calculate the exact amounts of product and water that you need in any dilution ratio. `This way, you can get it right, every time. `Keep this formula in your phone and you can do the calculations on the fly.

`

<span style="font-size:18px;">Know your Parts!

A lot of weekend warriors and those who are new to detailing get confused with parts. Part is simply a name substitution. Instead of saying dilute 1 ounce to 2 ounces of water. You can substitute ounce with Part and it can mean any unit of measurement. `But remember, the unit needs to be the same across the entire equation. `For example, we are working with a 1:3 dilution ratio. `Generally the ratio is CONCENTRATE to SOLVENT so at 1:3, we need one part concentrate (the detailing product) and 3 parts water (the solvent). `Like we said before, the units need to match. So this means 3 ounces to 1 ounce, 3 gallons to one gallon, but never 3 ounces to 1 gallon, or any combination of units. `If the first part is ounces, the second part must be ounces. Get it? Good.

`

<span style="font-size:18px;">The Cheat Code
    <p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Georgia, `Times New Roman`, `Bitstream Charter`, Times, serif;">x / y = z

X`= Total number of product you desire (16oz spray bottle, then this number is 16. 32oz bottle, this number is 32)

Y`= Total number of parts for dilution (1:3 means 3 parts water, 1 part chemical. 1+3=4 total parts for dilution)

Z`= Amount of liquid (in ounces) required per part.

`

<span style="font-size:18px;">A Quick Example

Say we are working with Meguiars APC. We want a dilution ratio of 1:4 so we can degrease these old engine. `We are working with a basic 32 ounce spray bottle.`

x = 32 ounce spray bottle, so 32

y = 4:1 dilution ratio, so 4+1 = 5

z= we will find out!

32 / 5 = 6.4

`

So we will need to add 6.4 ounces of Meguiars APC to the spray bottle and follow the rest with water to get a perfect 1:4 dilution ratio.

`

Try it yourself! Throw in some numbers of your favorite detailing product and see if you have been doing it wrong the whole time, or exactly right!

For more information of how to properly dilute your detailing chemicals or to read other in depth detailing articles visit the DetailersBox.com!
    Xclusive Autoworks Inc.
    Long Island`s Paint Correction Detailing
    Opti-Coat Pro Certified & Cquartz Finest Installer

Post Thanks / Like

WillWashesCars- It`s good to revisist and post such stuff!` While some of us might be tempted to get all smugly superior about it and...well, you know...`"oh, everybody knows that!", I`d`much rather have the info presented the way you did`so that everybody *really can* get it right.`

`

Heh heh, makes me think "gee, I should`ve posted that instead of making self-satisfied assumptions..."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

WillWashesCars- It`s good to revisist and post such stuff!` While some of us might be tempted to get all smugly superior about it and...well, you know...`"oh, everybody knows that!", I`d`much rather have the info presented the way you did`so that everybody *really can* get it right.`

`

Heh heh, makes me think "gee, I should`ve posted that instead of making self-satisfied assumptions..."

`

Thank you! Yes I am trying to get together with a few other detailers and really produce simple and effective introductory guides covering the fundamentals behind detailing. `This is one of many to come!
    Xclusive Autoworks Inc.

Post Thanks / Like

It simple and rounding does no real harm but annoying to perfectionist measuring types. `In the above example, 6 oz. is close enough.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WillWashesCars

Thank you! Yes I am trying to get together with a few other detailers and really produce simple and effective introductory guides covering the fundamentals behind detailing. `This is one of many to come!

Excellent thread! Thanks for sharing and keep em coming.`
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like

Bunky- Heh heh, yeah...while I *am* glad this got posted, I do 99.9% of my diluting/mixing by eye.` But that`s just me in my situation.

Post Thanks / Like
    At work, we have these discussions about friction loss in hoses. Some guys will get down to the decimal point. On our rigs it`s whole numbers, no decimals. We round off and get it close with the formulas for hoses, appliances, and elevations. Plus we have pre-made laminated "cheat sheets" made up. Some guys will stomp their feet and argue over a pound or two.

Anyway, Thanks Will for the info...I feel smarter...LOL!

Post Thanks / Like
    Will great article !

I do think that your X/Y=Z was great,

it was just described confusingly.

X = total bottle size

Y = concentration level added together

So 10:1 =11, 20:1 = 21, 4:1 = 5, 1:1=2

Z = chemical to be diluted

This can be used with any measure, add long as you keep it throughout. Ounces, cups, gallons etc.

How do I make one Gallon at a 10 to 1 ratio?

X/Y=Z

1/(10+1)=Z

Z =. 0909 gallons

If you wanted ounces, just convert one gallon to 128 Oz.

X/Y=Z

128/(10+1)=Z

Z= 11.64 ounces of chemical to make one Gallon at 10:1

Not that your explanation was wrong, just someone can misunderstand which liquid Z really is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also,one must make sure that the dilution ratio is listed with a 1, otherwise math could get buggered.

While 3:2 ratio is the same as 1.5:1, using "5" is a large difference from using "2.5".

For this reason, you must convert the fraction if it is a non-standard ratio. Yes, most will be 3:1 or 5:1, but we can not depend on this being the case, because it can seriously mess up some dilutions.

Imagine this : since 3 to 1 is the same as 30 to 10, what if they decide that the fractions are the same, and use the larger fraction? Problems. You will come out with significantly under concentrated solution.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input William. I will look into ways of simplifying the equation. If I am not mistaken, the proper way to look at a formula is CONCENTRATE to SOLVENT (ie. 1:3 is 1 part concentrate, 3 parts solvent). `So those looking at the equation wrong definitely will have very very wrong dilutions.

`

As for a 3:2 ratio, that is definitely an issue. I am also too tired to do the math, but I do have a solution for this.

`

But for 99% of detailers, you will NEVER see a 3:2 ratio. Not sure I have ever see anything other than your standard 1:3, 1:4, 1:5, 1:10 ratios.
    Xclusive Autoworks Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice little formula and thread! If you don`t mind I will refer to this formula when people ask me about ratios
    Owner and President
    AutoLavish LLC
    Local to Michigan, Serving Nationwide

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jlb85

Nice little formula and thread! If you don`t mind I will refer to this formula when people ask me about ratios

Absolutely, it is not my formula. I found it in a textbook and then found it online. Not sure who to credit for it originally either.
    Xclusive Autoworks Inc.

Thread Information