Thread: Yellow paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me start out by saying I`m new here and no way near any of your guys level. So with that being said , what`s the best way to remove the yellow line paint off of my Jeeps flares? Any solvents I can use? Looks to have been on for awhile.Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry they are painted. Thanks

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Road Paint (Traffic Lane Paint)

Is a pigmented resin system, very high in solids with a colour aggregate and is more like an adhesive than paint; it contains silica (glass) micro beads that help reflect light, however they can cause scratches if you use mechanical removal.

Correction / Removal - use 3M Adhesive Remover and detailer’s clay or a plastic razor blade, 3M Eraser Wheel Detailer’s Clay or try wet-sanding with 2000 - 2500 grit finishing paper and a Unigrit block.

For heavy accumulations or paint that has dried for several days on the vehicles paint surface, apply a liberal coating of Vaseline to the dried traffic paint and allow to remain overnight and then pressure wash. This should remove most of the traffic paint. If not, repeat the procedure.

Road Paint Remover (wipes) – TOTL; Lay the smooth side of the wipe over the contamination to saturate the surface. Let it sit for about one minute to soften the paint. Use the textured side of a new wipe and rub vigorously. Use firm pressure and a lot of action. Particularly difficult cases may take a second application.

Once you have removed the road paint, wash off the chemical with shampoo and a spot polish should bring back the original shine. (Do not use on paint that is less than 90 days old) The same technique can be used for old tar removal.
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks I`ll give it a try!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT
    For heavy accumulations or paint that has dried for several days on the vehicles paint surface, apply a liberal coating of Vaseline to the dried traffic paint and allow to remain overnight and then pressure wash. This should remove most of the traffic paint. If not, repeat the procedure.[/COLOR]

I never would have thought of this method. I`m gonna have to go out and find some road construction now and wait for the lines to be painted and drive through it to test this method.

Thread Information