Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoolinNoMore
    Optimum Polymer Technologies: Advanced Polymer Technology is in every Optimum Car Care Product. opt car care, optimum car wax, optimum car wash,

The polishing and cutting MF pads are at the bottom of the page. I prefer Optimum`s pads to the Meguiar`s

We only have Optimum Polishing Discs over here so far, no Cutting

I keep killing the Megs ones - either velcro separating or them going `egg shaped`!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 07090
    Can I trouble you for a link to MF disc cut, I`m not sure what that is.

Is this what you are referring?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RussST
    We only have Optimum Polishing Discs over here so far, no Cutting

I keep killing the Megs ones - either velcro separating or them going `egg shaped`!

I`ve killed 2 discs pretty much back to back. You have to be very careful of heat and make sure you don`t go over 3500 OPM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoolinNoMore
    I`ve killed 2 discs pretty much back to back. You have to be very careful of heat and make sure you don`t go over 3500 OPM.

Funny, I haven`t had any problems with my Meguiar`s MF cutting disks. Both sizes are holding up fine even when used at speed 6.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 07090
    What do you prefer in the MF pad? Does it cut more or less? With more control?

I find they cut better and leave a nicer finish. Less heat too, so safer.

Touch-up paint? That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

If you use a sovent-based "leveling system" (e.g., Langka or DrColorchips) there`s litte chance of disaster. If/when the touchup doesn`t look like an improvement, just wipe it off with the solvent. If/when it does look OK, use the solvent (very gently) to level out the "blob of paint" so it blends in a little better.

The disasters related to touchups usually involve attempts to level/blend the touchup via wetsanding, whicha) *is* the best way to do it if you know what you`re doing and b) is an easy way to cause big problems if you *don`t* know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Funny, I haven`t had any problems with my Meguiar`s MF cutting disks. Both sizes are holding up fine even when used at speed 6.

My first blow out was at speed 5 or 6, the second one blew out super early. I had heard something about getting a new batch of discs that were supposed to be less prone to seperation, but the replacement discs I was sent look and feel exactly the same as the ones I had before. My only real complaint with the new MF discs now is it seems that no matter what compound I use (105 or Uno even), I can`t seem to get them to stop dusting before use. I usually throw them in the washer with my MF towels on cool or warm with free & clear detergent (no softener), then let them air dry afterwards. Before I use them I`ll hit them with compressed air and I`ll still have to spend a couple minutes just blowing compounding dust out of them which gets *everywhere*. I may start having to hand scrub them with APC and warm water in a bucket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    I find they cut better and leave a nicer finish. Less heat too, so safer.

If you use a sovent-based "leveling system" (e.g., Langka or DrColorchips) there`s litte chance of disaster. If/when the touchup doesn`t look like an improvement, just wipe it off with the solvent. If/when it does look OK, use the solvent (very gently) to level out the "blob of paint" so it blends in a little better.

The disasters related to touchups usually involve attempts to level/blend the touchup via wetsanding, whicha) *is* the best way to do it if you know what you`re doing and b) is an easy way to cause big problems if you *don`t* know.

I`ve read terrible reviews of these products. Maybe I`ll have to try one out for myself and see.

Post Thanks / Like
    SpoolinNomore- Yeah, I guess I just got lucky with my MF cutting pads :nixweiss

On the initial dusting, I don`t let it worry me. Had just a *little* of it when I used my smaller one the other day.

07090- Which products are you referring to (the bad reviews)? The Langka/Dr Colorchips?

I look at it this way- *ALL* touchups look awful. Well, not the ones my best paint/body guy does, but he`s special I`ve done zillions of touchups over the last 30-some years and mine still look pretty crappy to me most of the time (though good brushes and lots of effort can make a diff). Crappy by my standards, but still better looking than not having done them. And other people usually think they look pretty OK.

Once the touchup paint is on there, the solvent-leveling can work fairly well. NO, not as well as wetsanding, but it`s not the big deal/"don`t trash your paint!"/"uh-oh, how do I fix this?!?" endeavor that wetsanding can be either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thx accumulator. I think I`ll skip the touch-up and work on polishing my paint to refine my skills.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information