Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I looked at the bf site and I think I`ll just get the compound then the fine polish and the sealent I dont need the show polish what do you think?

Heres some of the spots that won`t come out

Heres the scratches

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW> Those look like alot of work. Definately get the wool ball and some compound. It`s going to be challenging to clean around those rivets.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Create an account at Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Upload your pics there. Then select the pic you want to upload and copy the full [img] code for it. Normally you just click the box that has that tag and it will automatically copy the text for you. Then your your post just paste the img code that was copied an your pic will be visable.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the bf compound and bf fine polish and bf metal sealent and the bf paint sealent, its in the mail.

Where can I get this wool ball? I guess use that for the compound. Then use the other OTC ball for the polish? Or what would be your system?

Do you think wetsand or not?

Post Thanks / Like
    Use these for the initial correction and for the final polishing: Wool Polishing Balls

It would be better to use foam for finishing, but the biggest challenge is the way the wheels are really curved and tight.

I`d avoid wetsanding all together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok cool so that makes it easier. Thanks for all the help David. Now I got to order the balls LoL but I`m glad I know what to use thanks to you. I`ll post some pics when I`m done.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I polished a wheel today and the outer ring looks pretty good but the middle part ain`t too good.

I clayed then heavy coumpounded with the wool ball then fine polished it with the wool ball

I think I`m screwed, I don`t know if these wheels can get any better, the grooves are still in there, the swirls around the wheel my dad said thats how it was machined. Do you think you could get these things any better? David come down to St. Louis and help me out!

I don`t think they`ve ever shined like this in the sun

Heres a close up of the hazy part, hopefully you can see the grooves its a phone pic.

Any help?

Post Thanks / Like
    Metal polishes from what I have experienced dont do much on Clear Coat rims. The HD Metal David recommended is really meant for bare metal. I would treat them as you would car paint. Polish multiple steps using something with filler and then wax.
    3D and HD Professional Detailing Products

Post Thanks / Like
    Ben - I`m pretty sure these wheels are polished w/o any clear. Count - did they turn black as you polished?

Those scratches look pretty deep. The worst part is all the rivets that you can`t polish around very well. You can try using a rotary with a wool pad to see if you can tilt it enough to level the surface. I did the wheels on an AC Cobra replica that way. Made a huge difference over the polishing balls. Worth a try you have access to this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeh the ball is black and the wheel was black and covered in wool when I was polishing.

I tried wool balling it, and then I tried a rubbing it in with my fingers on the vertical part, then I even used a toothbrush around the rivets.

The vertical part just looks so hazy.

I was gonna use that aircraft stripper first to make sure theres no clear on them but my dad said thad be stupid cuz he don`t think theres clear on it, should I go buy some and try it?

I think the wheels are modular aluminum satin machine finish.

Do you think if I wetsand them down to get that scratches out I could get a mirror shine?

Thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    .. The worst part is all the rivets that you can`t polish around very well. You can try using a rotary with a wool pad to see if you can tilt it enough to level the surface..

I`m thinking maybe the Count will need a polishing buff, or one of those "flappy pads", mounted on a mandrel..the sort of thing you generally use on a flex-shaft.

Rather than get all tongue-tied trying to explain it, maybe I oughta just post a link..Buffing Polishing Supplies Buffing Wheels Compound Polishing Aluminum Polishing Kit - Caswell Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Count
    I think the wheels are modular aluminum satin machine finish.

Do you think if I wetsand them down to get that scratches out I could get a mirror shine?

Thanks guys.

I think that trying to completely change the surface/finish from machined-satin (with the grooves/etc.) to mirror-like shine is a mighty tall order and unlikely to turn out quite the way you`d like. Eh, I hate to be so pessimistic but I bet that a pro wheel shop (with the ability to disassemble them and more importantly get `em back together right) would consider this a huge job and they`d charge an arm and a leg to do it to Autopian standards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well then I guess I can`t go any further, wet sanding might work but that would be a lot of work.

I`ll do the other back wheel and just leave it at that. I`d like to just get new mirror shine new wheels maybe a little skinnier to cuz these tires are 10 inches wide, thats quite a bit. But the new wheels are like 150-200 bucks, so I don`t know if that will work out

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh you think I should seal the ones I polish? And the ones I don`t polish will still have those spots on them. What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like
    Depending on the metal polish that you use, it contain sealers already. It doesn`t hurt to use another sealant though. Any time you clean the wheels, you will most likely take off that protection though.
    3D and HD Professional Detailing Products

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information