Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Broadly speaking, there are 3 types of matt-finishes:

Proper:

1. Using a matt-clearcoat.

2. Using a regular gloss clearcoat, but with matting agent added in.

Budget:

1. No clearcoat at all!!

Many detailers, when faced with matt-painted cars, have often used the same techniques as per gloss clear-coated finishes. Many find this acceptable but many re-sprayers, custom sprayers and some paint manufacturer’s technical personnel have a different view point.

They feel that a freshly sprayed matt-finish’s looks will "change" after heavy buffing with wool pads. I agree that rotary buffing with wool will add a slightly glossy look that imparts a satin effect to the matt finish.

Some owners don`t know and don`t mind, while others will freak out. Even if strong chemical washing is employed to remove this slightly glossy effect due to aggresive compounding, it still cannot revert 100% to the original freshly sprayed matt look. Hence, many sprayers avoid sanding and wool buffing a matt paintjob.

If the car owner doesn’t realize this, then it’s fine.

But if the owner is already accustomed to how his/her matt finish looks, and you’ve ruined that original look, they might not be too happy.

Everyone has their favourite method to deal with matt finishes .

The below steps are my personal favourites and just wanna share with everyone here.

On non-problematic matt finishes

Thorough washing and claying, followed by a pure WOWO carnauba (eg: S100) or a synthetic wax applied using WOWO (eg:Collinite 845). Both are easy to use and 100% problem-free on matt finishes.

Note 1:

Certain waxes can cause streaking and patchiness on matt surfaces.

Maybe that’s the reason for Swissvax introducing a new carnauba specifically formulated for matt finishes.

Note 2:

Klasse AIO applied with PC or DA can cause very distinct smudges, streaks and patchiness that cannot be buffed away by MF towels. If you hv to use an AIO to cleanse the paint, you can follow up with a very fine abrasive polish or glaze to remove the patchiness. It works, but will darken colour slightly. So, be sure to do the entire vehicle. And then…apply LSP.

On problematic, neglected matt finishes.

To avoid any misunderstanding, inform the owner that if the defects must be removed/minimized, then the colour could darken a wee bit, and it could have a very slight satin look.

Prep:

1.Use whatever surface prep/compounding techniques you normally use.

Personally, I avoid wool and compounds. I’ll use any fine-cutting polish such as Megs 205, Menz106, Menz 85.

2.Wash entire car with dish washing liquid or any de-con wash systems.

3.Wipe with alcohol.

These steps will reduce/remove as much compounding-generated sheen as possible.

Polish:

Don’t bother, cos it’s a matt finish. You won’t see the effect except for a slight darkening/richening, which the owner might dislike.

LSP:

My personal favs are Collinite 845 and S100 applied using WOWO technique. 100% no smudges, and so easy to do. No noticeable darkening or glossing of the paint finish, but does make maintenance easier.

For QDs, anything goes. My fav is Megs UQD cos it has no darkening effect on matt finishes.

Example of a neglected matt finish:

Lots of tree sap stains and watermarks that could not be removed by hand-application of products. Camera could not capture the severity but it was bad. Stains have been there for 4mths, baking under the hot sunlight.

Action:

1. Pre-soaking with vinegar to loosen whatever minor watermarks.

2. Shampoo wash and clay.

3. Megs 83 DACP + Yellow pad + rotary

4. Menz 85 RD + white pad + PC

5. Wash with dish washing liquid. IPA wipedown to remove oils and any slight gloss.

6. Collinite 845 using WOWO.

Work-in-progress. Stains removed, and washed again.

Awaiting LSP.

All problems were removed and owner was shocked when he saw the car, exclaiming "FFFFxxxxxxK!!!!, looks great

To me, that makes my day!!

Post Thanks / Like
    gigondaz- Ah, interesting that you can use those combos to correct marring without imparting (too much) sheen. Thanks for the info, I`ve often wondered about that.

A pal of mine had a matte silver paintjob back in the `70s, and he maintained it with TR# Resin Glaze (which left a light sheen)....but we never thought about correcting it and I woulda worried about glossing it up.

Post Thanks / Like
    ACC, repeated washings with full strength MPC, followed by full strength IPA can remove the glossy sheen. But it`s a lotta work though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice write up. I never thought you could buff these finishes as they would alter the look of them? I would almost be tempted to use a product with heavy abrasives to final finish with via DA to avoid building gloss? I bet a paint coating like Opti-Coat would work wonders as it doesn`t protects and beads, but doesn`t alter the appearance.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    Nice write up. I never thought you could buff these finishes as they would alter the look of them? I would almost be tempted to use a product with heavy abrasives to final finish with via DA to avoid building gloss? I bet a paint coating like Opti-Coat would work wonders as it doesn`t protects and beads, but doesn`t alter the appearance.

Thanks Davidzz:

Technically speaking, rotary buffing the matt finish will convert it into a slightly glossier (satin) finish and darken it.

Some car owners love it, some don`t.

My customers, after sometime, find that their matt finish looks a bit too "dead" and boring. So, a fair bit of buffing done judiciously, will darken the colour, making it look richer and give a slight satin sheen.

Even if you use a DA (eg Flex VRG) with a coarse compounds, there`ll be a slight satin effect. I would go with something much finer like 205 or PO85RD.

Although I`m not familiar with Opti-Coat, in principle, it shd be OK.

But other OK products such as the super-friendly Klasse AIO produced lots of patchiness and streaking via hand and PC application.

So, better do a small test-patch on an inconspicuous part of the car with Opti-Coat first, before proceeding.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love Matt finishes, However I had a friend that had a White Matt Porsche. He said after 6 months it looked Brown and filthy. He hated it so much, he sold it and tells everyone Never to buy a Matt car. That scared me off completely.

But if there are ways to maintain it, then I could be back in business.

He said everything stuck to the car. I still want to be able to wax it. Will waxing make it shiny? Regards MJ.

2007 BMW ///M3 Jerez Black /Fox Red/Carbon

Post Thanks / Like
    Swissvax has a line of products specifically for matt finishes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tdekany
    Swissvax has a line of products specifically for matt finishes.

Thanks tdekany,

I used to use Swissol carnuba wax. I wonder if they are the same company?

2007 BMW ///M3 Jerez Black /Fox Red/Carbon

Post Thanks / Like
    No clue.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mirror
    Thanks tdekany,

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys...good information for me. Thnaks

Can you tell me that how do govern the speed of an automobile other than by the operator?
    Autopia.org is the best detailing site on the net!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirror
    Thanks tdekany,

Same company - Swissvax used to be Swissol, but changed its name after litigation from Zymol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by quilabegesine
    Hey guys...good information for me. Thnaks

Can you tell me that how do govern the speed of an automobile other than by the operator?

By me shooting your tires flat with some 9MM Hydra shock ammo ..........................since the above statement was "So on topic with the thread".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani

When I was working on the Aventador there was severL Matt pieces on the car, I used pork coat and it didn`t alter the appearance and now its fully protected

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by uniquedetailing
    When I was working on the Aventador there was severL Matt pieces on the car, I used pork coat and it didn`t alter the appearance and now its fully protected

You used what?!?!?!?:twitch:

Post Thanks / Like
    Is that from Swiss Pigs?
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information