Post Thanks / Like

Question Griot`s 1st gen polisher #10925 backing plate replacement?

I have the original Griot`s polisher model 10925 that has been lightly used over the years. I used it recently and the velcro started peeling off the backing plate. I went to the Griot`s site to order a new backing plate, and I find that they don`t list plates for this model any more. I emailed their customer service for suggestions, but thought I would ask here also while I wait.

Is there another place to get a backing plate that is compatible? It has a 4 bolt mounting system. I remember reading that the original Griots was a modified other brand, but can`t remember what brand that was. Porter Cable maybe?

Should I just plan on getting a new polisher? Would a new polisher like the G9 be better? I hate to replace this one that is like new, but will if ya`ll recommend a newer model. I would like to stay around $150 since this is just for piddling in the garage.

Thanks,
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griot`s 1st gen polisher #10925 backing plate replacement?

The 4-bolt mounting system is unique to Griots early-design for their polishing machines. Like many older mechanical items, manufacturers are "supposedly" required to make replacement parts available for 7 years. The "problem" is that they may run out of inventory before that seven-year period ends and unless the replacement part is part of manufacturing defect and/or safety recall, replacements parts are sometimes hard-to-impossible to come by. Your inquiry here in this forum is a good place to begin that search, as some Autopian may have an older Griots polishing machine that is similar to yours that is no longer or little used and MAYBE you can exchange personal messages (PM) within this forum to obtain your needed backing plate.
    I trust your polishing machine is older than 7 years, hence the difficulty you are experiencing to finding a replacement backing plate.
    My other suggestion is to try Super Gluing (Cyanoacrylate adhesives) the hook part of the velcro pad to the rubber disc part of the backing plate. The "problem` with this is that the Super Glue will not withstand heat generated from extended use of the polisher and you are back to the same problem you started with: a peeling velcro from the rubber disc body. It is a Red-Neck Band-Aid method of "repair", but it might work for you if you only use your polisher occasionally for, as you called it, "plinking around the garage." I know there is a safety concern of the backing plate disc coming apart and flinging/flying off during its use and I will leave that decision to your judgement, as you know the current condition of your backing plate in question.
    GB detailer
    Thanks Toytruckmike thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn`t it have a lifetime warranty? I`d expect a new plate or a replacement polisher.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Lonnie, I was afraid it was some one-off system. I`ll see if Griot`s has any left, maybe I`ll luck out. Or maybe someone on here has one as a backup they don`t need any longer.

I didn`t mention that I plan to use this a lot more coming up as I have a new car that seems to show scratches easily and will need light polishing more frequently. I also was able to buy back my old 07 Tacoma that has white single stage paint that is oxidizing after 6 years in the Austin sun and will need some intense work.

My polisher is from about 2003, so it is quite old now! I imagine the glue solution wouldn`t hold up with the upcoming projects I have planned. If I don`t luck out sourcing a replacement plate sounds like I have a G9 in my future.

Thanks,
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Doesn`t it have a lifetime warranty? I`d expect a new plate or a replacement polisher.
    I`ll see what they say, they likely won`t reply to my email till Monday, or Tuesday if they close for the holiday. Maybe I`ll get good news. I`ll report back what I find out.
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Email reply may be slow. You could try calling. If they can`t replace it, they may give you an option to upgrade to a new machine.
    Likes Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Why not just get the G15?
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`d highly recommend calling during business hours.

When I had issues with my 10 year old 1st Gen GG6, they had me send it in and I got a 3rd Gen GG6 (their current polisher at the time) as a replacement. Great company to work with. Any time I`m doing anything with warranty with any company I prefer to speak to a person vs email.

Side note: If you end up with a G9 I think you`re gonna love it. Sold my 3rd Gen GG6 to a coworker and got a G9 and really enjoy it.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

OK, decided just to call after work, even though they responded Monday to my email and were having trouble finding my account. Guy on phone said follow returns process as soon as I mentioned the model #, so boxed it up and shipped it off this evening. Said they will give credit towards purchase of a new one based on original purchase price. Now i gotta research the difference between G9 and G15.
    Thanks for all the replies everyone, I`ll report what happens.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Update: Griot`s looked at my polisher when I sent it in and must have found my old order. Let me get a G9 for the $40 difference, so I just did that. Arrived Saturday and I am good to go. Now to order a bunch of pads to get things going this Spring. Decided the G9 will work fine for what I need. Great company that really stands behind their products.
    Thanks again for all the input on this process.
    Michael
    Likes Stokdgs, Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Glad that worked out well.
    Likes Toytruckmike liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That`s awesome Griot`s 1st gen polisher #10925 backing plate replacement?. Griots is a class act.
    Likes Stokdgs, Toytruckmike liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear they took care of you!

I still think it`s pretty awesome they stand behind their stuff like that. What`s basically a consumable part on a 15 year old machine and you end up with a healthy discount on a modern machine.

I really think you`re gonna like the G9. Between all the power and the digital speed control, I`ve found I can run mine at a lower speed than my 3rd Gen GG6, thus it`s a lot quieter. I think even flat out it`s quieter.

One thing I`d throw out as a difference between the earlier GG6`s and the G9 - while common practice back in the day was that you needed to run a 5" thin pad setup on the short throw DA`s, don`t expect it to be a universal truth on the G9. For me, I`ve actually run into times where a thick 6" pad works better than a thin 5" - specifically when working on intricate panels. Example - when doing the front fenders on my wife`s Q5, I`ve found it easier to keep pad rotation up with the 6" thick combo. When doing a correction I bounce all over between 5.5 and 6.5" pads just to be able to keep using clean pads.

Side note: I`m a big fan of the detachable power cord. I`ll frequently unplug when doing backing plate swaps, or switch back and forth between the G9 and G8 (new gen 3" polisher) using the same power cord.

Just in case you weren`t aware, make sure if you go with an alternate backing plate (5") for your G9, stick with the Griot`s offering as it`s specifically designed to work with the cooling design of the machine (the way the plate is vented). Also, due to the shroud design you can`t (well, shouldn`t; and I don`t think you`d want to) run a 4" or smaller pad. I`ve got pictures somewhere in a post on the sister site where I put all the different pad/backing plate combos on my G9 to show people why you shouldn`t.

Full disclosure: I`m in no way related to Griot`s, I`m just an amateur that`s been using/liking their stuff since `04.
    Likes Toytruckmike liked this post

Thread Information