Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Any Interest in Griot`s New G13 Mini Long-Throw Orbital??

I see that Griots Garage has come out with a new G13 mini long throw orbital buffer. It looks to compete with Adam`s Swirl Killer Mini, since it has a 13mm "long throw".
    Reference from the Autopia Store:Griot`s Garage G13 Mini Long-Throw Orbital

This new buffer machine seems to be a realization from the thoughts and requests with the discussion on the G8 mini.
    Reference: And then... There was a G8

Just wondering if fellow Autopians see a need in their own buffing machine arsenal for this particular machine and what your thoughts are about it OR if someone has tried a beta version somewhere and can now reveal their experience and thoughts on it, now that it is for sale to the general detailing public.

I know a number of you Autopians have bought and use the G9 buffer in your detailing exploits and, as stated, ask if you would consider adding this to your detailing equipment inventory based on that experience with the G9.
    (Hey, with Black Friday coming up, its never too early to start dropping hints to Santa what a good Autopian "needs" (not wants) under the Christmas tree!!)

Side note: My assumption is the idea for Griot`s GR6 (my designation, not GG`s) full-size 6" rotary buffer coming to market looks pretty much dead or at least on the back burner for now, based on the introduction of this new G13.
    Reference: Any News on Griot`s Garage NEW Full-size GR6 Rotary?
    GB detailer

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any Interest in Griot`s New G13 Mini Long-Throw Orbital??

Seems like 21mm long throws are a bit more effort to control so the 13-15mm long throws might be a nice compromise.

Post Thanks / Like

As the owner of a G8, I`m not seeing why someone would want a G13.

I`m weekend hack that does his own vehicles and those for a few family members as a hobby, so take this with a grain of salt.

I use my G8 for small areas like the A and B pillars, the narrow section of the car roof which runs from the A to C pillar, rocker panels, air intakes, and other odd small areas I can`t get into with my G15. The whole purpose is size and controllability in tight quarters or on small surfaces. I`d think the longer throw would make it harder to get into the tight areas not only because of the longer throw, but also from a controllability standpoint.

Maybe I`m not the best use case, but in a small form polisher I actually like the short throw.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes John U, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Not interested in anything Griots. They have best warranty on paper but good luck getting them to live up to it.

Screwed my on their 3” toy buffer and on their drying towels that pulled like crazy.

Both lifetime warranty. Buffer did not correct. Could not return for my $ back or a credit.

Towels pulled. Showed pep boys where I purchased towels. They said contact griots. They warranty them. Griots said send pictures of damage and pics of receipts. Did both. No answer 2 weeks. I called back. They said normal wear and tear. I said BS. I’m a detailer I know how to care for towels. I have towels from poor boys for years.

I’m done with griots. And been done. Everytine something looks good I stop and remind myself of the time I’ll be on the phone with them getting NOwhere

Be warned !
    Likes Ollever, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

+5mm isn’t much and should get everywhere a g8 does. Longer throw in theory helps keep pad rotating.

Always wondered why griots came out with an 8mm mini when most other companies have a 12mm

My swirl killer mini has been good to me and keeps rotation well.

If it does die i would switch out to a g13 as i like the ergonomics better.

The SK mini is like the old griots g6 with a toggle on/off instead of a trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

So I’ve used it on 4 vehicles now, and it’s a monster. I bought the G8 hoping that it would solve the 3” gap and that thing just doesn’t cut it for me, stalls and just lacks power. I bought the GR3 when it came out and would use the G8 to clean up the buffer trails. The G13 does exactly what I need it to do, I’ve only ran it on speed 4 or lower as 5 & 6 just haven’t been needed.

Post Thanks / Like

This was done only with the G13
    Polishers by John Wilkinson, on Flickr

Likes Lonnie, Mary B liked this post
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll probably end up with one of these eventually since I simply *HATE* my Rupes Mini. But I`ve learned to *not* buy GG`s initial production runs of, well...anything.

Post Thanks / Like

2wookies:
    Are those ALL Griot`s Garage buffers in that rack??
    Which one is the G13??
    I see the Griot`s Garage insignia/logo on the wall rack, but now I see it has been discontinued. Too bad!
    Reference thread: Review - Griot`s Garage Orbital Polsiher Rack

Only lament is that GG does not offer a 4" backing plate for use with this G13. I currently have a bunch of 4" LC pads which I use with my older Porter-Cable 7424 Dual-Action. I do see the mounting thread size on the backing plate is 5/16"-24NF-2B (24 being the number of thread per inch and the NF meaning National Fine thread; the "2" meaning a commercial production thread tolerance fit and the "B" meaning its threads are internal like a nut and not an "A" classification for external threads like a screw. Sorry, my mechanical design experience is being displayed). I think you HAVE to use the 5mm hex key that comes with the G13 to remove and install their included 2" and 3" backing plates, which is different than using the thin wrench with the P-C DA spindle nut for removing and installing back plates that have an integral threaded stud for use on that buffer. (Layman`s terms; the backing plates used on a P-C DA will NOT fit a G13)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    2wookies:
    Are those ALL Griot`s Garage buffers in that rack??
    Which one is the G13??
    I see the Griot`s Garage insignia/logo on the wall rack, but now I see it has been discontinued. Too bad!
    Reference thread: Review - Griot`s Garage Orbital Polsiher Rack
    Yes they’re all Griots machines, the G13 is the middle top.

They are coming out with an upgraded rack soon, but there’s been issues with the first batch.
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Why do you hate the rupes mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I`ll probably end up with one of these eventually since I simply *HATE* my Rupes Mini. But I`ve learned to *not* buy GG`s initial production runs of, well...anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    His name is Inigo Montoya, The Rupes mini killed his father……..Any Interest in Griot`s New G13 Mini Long-Throw Orbital??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    Just personal preference, I don`t like the, uhm..."PC-like" design. Or at least that`s what I recall thinking; I used it for a few minutes on a RIDS and thought "yuck, [screw] this thing.." and never touched it again.

Maybe sombody here will want it when I get around to wanting it off the shelf.

Post Thanks / Like

I only ask because I just purchased a second for my office. It’s a great machine for me. Easy to control and while of like in design it corrects way better and faster. My markII is a little bit more work to control.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Just personal preference, I don`t like the, uhm..."PC-like" design. Or at least that`s what I recall thinking; I used it for a few minutes on a RIDS and thought "yuck, [screw] this thing.." and never touched it again.

Maybe sombody here will want it when I get around to wanting it off the shelf.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2wookies View Post
    So I’ve used it on 4 vehicles now, and it’s a monster. I bought the G8 hoping that it would solve the 3” gap and that thing just doesn’t cut it for me, stalls and just lacks power. I bought the GR3 when it came out and would use the G8 to clean up the buffer trails. The G13 does exactly what I need it to do, I’ve only ran it on speed 4 or lower as 5 & 6 just haven’t been needed.
    I find the G8 has plenty of power personally. I usually run mine on 5. It does take more finesse to prevent stalling then my first gen. G15 however.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information