Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Where to go from the G9/G8 combo. G15 or G21?

So, I have the G9 and G8 with a good selection of 5-inch and 3-inch pads (and a couple of 6-inch pads). I am looking to get faster and deeper paint correction done down the line. I am looking at G15 and G21 as I love Griot`s products (and awesome customer service) and the removeable cord system will make things very easy to switch between polishers. Should I get the G15 or G21 with the G9 & G8 already in place? What would you do?

A side note, has anyone been able to compare between the Shurhold 3500 and the new G15 or G21? I wonder if it`s a comparable choice or simply inferior, price not being a factor.

Thanks in advance for your comment/advice!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Where to go from the G9/G8 combo. G15 or G21?

I almost want to say stick with the G9 for your corrections. It`s a heck of a machine! Easy to use, won`t stall on curves/raised panels like a `long throw`.

Let`s see what others say!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Likes Stokdgs, John U liked this post
    Thanks SeanKTM thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t have a long throw but in general their correction is based on the throw and you really can’t put downward pressure or they’ll often stall. And with that long throw, you really aren’t going to be able to correct the entire car, just the big panels on the car. It could be a valuable tool to have but you’ll definitely need to use your smaller ones for a complete job.

When I read faster and deeper correction, I immediately thought of the Flex forced rotation. They won’t stall on curves and can be used on flat panels as well and will drive a 6” pad without stalling. And you can put some downward pressure as well. I have the G3/G9 combo but after the G9 stalled too much on a fairly large curve on my Acura TL, I decided to order the cordless Flex CBeast. I haven’t used it enough to give feedback but I love not having to mess with the cord.
    Likes John U liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t have either the new G15 or G21, I spend the majority of my polishing using a 15mm throw option and reserve my 21mm and rotary polishers for when the need arises for more heavier corrections. I’m actually looking forward to any comments from Griot’s users that have picked up the new G15 or G21.

I still find the G9 is capable of a ton of correction that can really combat a lot of defects effectively and pretty comfortably. The next step up for me would be a 15mm option. For example both my Rupes and Chechnya 15mm polishers are more comfortable to work with for longer periods than the G9, but stalling is generally easier to handle with the G9 as you have less throw to handle on those more confined areas. If the G9 was just a bit more balanced on higher speeds and smoother, I think it would be a tool I would reach for more often. But I would say speed 4-6 on my rupes MKIII 15mm is just a lot more comfortable to me than my early G9 polisher. And the 15mm is pretty much perfect size for the bulk of my polishing.
    WaxMode - Product Testing & Reviews
    Likes Stokdgs, tom p. liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeanKTM View Post
    So, I have the G9 and G8 with a good selection of 5-inch and 3-inch pads (and a couple of 6-inch pads). I am looking to get faster and deeper paint correction done down the line. I am looking at G15 and G21 as I love Griot`s products (and awesome customer service) and the removeable cord system will make things very easy to switch between polishers. Should I get the G15 or G21 with the G9 & G8 already in place? What would you do?

A side note, has anyone been able to compare between the Shurhold 3500 and the new G15 or G21? I wonder if it`s a comparable choice or simply inferior, price not being a factor.

Thanks in advance for your comment/advice!
    SeanKTM - Welcome to the Forum !

The best paint correction that is fast and deep will always need Pad Rotation. Yes, other machines that do not rotate as much can do a lot of great work, but perhaps they will take longer to do it..
    If the G9 is giving you the best Pad Rotation, then perhaps, you might think about your process and see if it can be improved, and you already have a G9..
    As with any machine, it takes time in hours to get it to work the best for your needs..
    If you are using the Griots Fast/Correcting, etc., line of products, then you are already using great stuff according to many users on this forum..

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

While I`ve never used a G9, I can fully appreciate somebody wanting their machine, whatever it is, to be more time/effort-efficient. So if that thought even *occurs* to somebody, I`d say to move up to something more aggressive. While I`m Mr. Don`t Overthin Your Clear!, I`m also not in favor of wasting one unnecessary minute on this stuff, so when the clear needs to be abraded away, I want something that gets the job done pronto.

(No rotary for me any more, don`t need `em with the Flex. Hope Stokdgs found some use for mine and feels like he got his $ worth )

I too thought of my Flex3401, even before considering my (as yet unused) BOSS15. The Flex 3401 is simply *EFFECTIVE* for serious correction, but a lot of people don`t like how it feels in use, maybe because of the forced, and "backwards" rotation. I don`t mind those a bit, but that`s just me.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the thoughtful comments/advice. Looks like I will likely try to hone in on my technique with the G9 a little more as I try to get more consistent client flow. After watching Griot`s G15/G21 launch video and the comparison video of the Rupes 15/21 by Jason Rose last night though, I think G15 is going to be my next machine though when I am ready to add a long throw to my arsenal. I am not inclined to get into the forced rotation yet nor do I have the budget for the FLEX or RUPES this year, but perhaps one day! Thanks again!
    Likes Stokdgs, Coatings=crack, dgage liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeanKTM View Post
    Thank you all for the thoughtful comments/advice. Looks like I will likely try to hone in on my technique with the G9 a little more as I try to get more consistent client flow. After watching Griot`s G15/G21 launch video and the comparison video of the Rupes 15/21 by Jason Rose last night though, I think G15 is going to be my next machine though when I am ready to add a long throw to my arsenal. I am not inclined to get into the forced rotation yet nor do I have the budget for the FLEX or RUPES this year, but perhaps one day! Thanks again!
    SeanKTM -
    You are welcome ! We are all glad to help !

Yes, it is always great to look at your own personal process and always be thinking about how to do it better. That is exactly what I do, every time on hundreds of vehicles over the years...

I have tried all the pad sizes and have settled on the 5-1/4" pads on a 5" backing plate as the best for my needs.. I also put a small spacer on the end of my machine to allow me to see better what is going on underneath it, and to get it into smaller spaces..

In my experience with random orbitals, these machines will be able to rotate a smaller diameter pad easier than bigger pads and backing plates, especially if they are not forced rotation..

Good luck with your research ! Merry Christmas !
    Dan F
    Likes SeanKTM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have the G8/G9/G15/G21 - I end up reaching for my G9 most often. Unless you are doing a vehicle with large flat panels, the G15 is just not as effective as the G9 from my experience. I very rarely use my G21.
    Reflective Impressions
    www.instagram.com/reflectiveimpressions
    Authorized Feynlab Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Do yourself a favor and get a Rupes es15. They sent me a new 15 to try since I’ve had numerous problems with their machines. I found it very uncomfortable due to vibration, and don’t think it’s as good as the first generation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    Do yourself a favor and get a Rupes es15. They sent me a new 15 to try since I’ve had numerous problems with their machines. I found it very uncomfortable due to vibration, and don’t think it’s as good as the first generation.
    I have yet to try the new g15 but had suspicions. To get a cost reduction of almost $150... what changed? Possibly qualityI guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I think @Mike Lambert is talking about the newer ones from Rupes (Mark II or III), not G15. That`s why he is recommending ES15, the first gen. I guess I will find out soon enough about the new G15. I succumbed to the temptation and just received it in mail. Once the weather warms up a little, I will put it to the test next to my G9. It`s been a cold winter.

I am not too worried about the cheaper price. Relationships with Supplier/Manufacturer can be a little more complicated than what we make it out to be. (I do agree that $150 is a big difference! Maybe the new supplier had enough of an incentive to work with Griot`s on pricing to get in the game. With Maxshine selling their own labeled machines, I am sure they are not as obliging with pricing.) Griot`s Garage folks seem to straight shooters, and the way they`ve been dealing with the initial hiccups with the new gen machines has been rather impressive and consistent with what they`ve done with GG6 and earlier machines, so I am inclined to give them benefit of the doubt. They could`ve said they moved the G15/G21 to the mid-range from the premium range for the customer value, but they insisted that the quality remains the same and the new supplier relationship allowed for some cost savings. Again, I guess we will find out soon enough. So far, the build quality seems solid, certainly better than any of the Maxshine machines I`ve seen and one I have although I don`t have any experience with the first gen BOSS polishers which are reportedly also Maxshine. After the initial hiccups with the new gen, I did see that a few that spoke about nice experiences especially with the new G15, so hopefully that is the case with me, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShakingHorizons View Post
    I have the G8/G9/G15/G21 - I end up reaching for my G9 most often. Unless you are doing a vehicle with large flat panels, the G15 is just not as effective as the G9 from my experience. I very rarely use my G21.
    Thanks for sharing your experience! I presume all four of them are the new gen with removable cord? If so, what have you found to be a more effective 15mm machine than the new G15? Or, is it that the G9 is that versatile of a machine powerful enough to cover much of the long-throw territory?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    Interesting. Rupes ES15 is outside my budget range as of right now at $300 (I got my new G15 for $204 after their once-a-year 15%), but I will keep it in mind if it doesn`t work out with the G15. I am gonna work on making the most out of the G9 first though. Appreciate the suggestion very much. I saw that you really enjoy your G9 and even said it holds its own against many 15mm machines, so ES15 must have a place in your arsenal for a reason.

Post Thanks / Like

I have since changed my opinion of Griot’s machines after a consistent problem with SEVERAL of them. Do yourself a favor and try the machine as soon as You get it. Take my word for it.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information