Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Problem with my Griot`s G8 orbital polisher

Was using my 10 month old G8 the other night. Everything was going along great. I laid the unit down, to wipe off some polish. Picked it back up less than a minute later, and NOTHING !!!!!!!! And I mean NOTHING !!!!!!!!

I called Griot`s the next day, and I was issued a return label THAT DAY !!!!!!! No questions ask, NO problems !!!

I boxed it up, and it was picked up the day after I called FED EX. Griot`s received it, and I had it back, and using it in a total of "5" days !!!!!

IMO, that was damn good !!!!!!!!

Thanx, Griot`s !!!!!!!!!!

Excellent service !!!!!!!!!

I thought this might help someone make up their mind, to buy from Griot`s !!!!!!!

Likes wannafbody liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Problem with my Griot`s G8 orbital polisher

Quote Originally Posted by Risky Bizness View Post
    Was using my 10 month old G8 the other night. Everything was going along great. I laid the unit down, to wipe off some polish. Picked it back up less than a minute later, and NOTHING !!!!!!!! And I mean NOTHING !!!!!!!!

I called Griot`s the next day, and I was issued a return label THAT DAY !!!!!!! No questions ask, NO problems !!!

I boxed it up, and it was picked up the day after I called FED EX. Griot`s received it, and I had it back, and using it in a total of "5" days !!!!!

IMO, that was damn good !!!!!!!!

Thanx, Griot`s !!!!!!!!!!

Excellent service !!!!!!!!!

I thought this might help someone make up their mind, to buy from Griot`s !!!!!!!

that is beyond awesome I wish griots would make a flex equivalent I’d buy her in a heartbeat griots warranty is awesome

Post Thanks / Like

Did you look at swapping the brushes? Great customer service for sure, just wondering.

Post Thanks / Like

No, didn`t even think about the brushes.

Post Thanks / Like

Risky Bizness:
    If you have to replace the brushes in a polishing machine after using it for 10 months, you are using it an awful lot of hours in that time period! My math says if you used it on average 3 hours a day, 5 days a week, for the 43.3 weeks in a 10 month period, that is 650 hours of use!! Not sure how many hours of use the brushes are designed to last for. Good question to ask Griot`s Garage about so all of us Autopians know. Might be in the owners manual/operating instructions that came with the machine.

Did Griot`s Garage give you a reason WHY the polisher you sent back failed or did not work?? Just wondering....
    Also wonder what GG does with returned machines, if they have resale program for refurbished/repaired machines. Just not "the same" as buying refurbished computers from Dell, though.

Speaking of polishing machine brushes, I do not see a video on Griot`s Garage website "How To" tab on replacing such brushes in their polishing machines. Might save the owner from having to send it in and Griot`s Garage the trouble of having to fix such units if they had such a video on their website for owners who are so mechanically inclined and able to do so.
    (Not you, Captain Obvious.. Remember, if you put a hammer in your hand you have roughly two objects with the same IQ!)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Speaking of polishing machine brushes, I do not see a video on Griot`s Garage website "How To" tab on replacing such brushes in their polishing machines. Might save the owner from having to send it in and Griot`s Garage the trouble of having to fix such units if they had such a video on their website for owners who are so mechanically inclined and able to do so.
    (Not you, Captain Obvious.. Remember, if you put a hammer in your hand you have roughly two objects with the same IQ!)
    Sorry Lonnie, not Risky, but: Checked the manual on my G9 and they have written instructions on how to change the brushes. They`re really easy to change out. When I had a cord issue with my (very early run) G9, I checked the brushes to make sure they was no issue there and it was really simple.

If memory serves (50/50 on that...), they may have covered it in one of their YouTube videos when they released the G9. You`re right though - A standalone how to video would be a helpful addition.

I feel like if someone is, as you say "mechanically inclined and able to do so", they won`t even need to open the book/watch a video; but for someone with no experience it would be good to be able to watch someone do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Brush swap takes at most 5 min, using a flat/standard screwdriver remove two covers pull out old ones install new ones. They’re located under the black caps that have the slot.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, excellent customer service and warranty with Griot`s.
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

No, I got no reason as to why the unit failed. I have the brushes that came with the unit upon purchase. I never even thought about the brushes. And I know how to install brushes. I just didn`t think about them going bad.

And YES, I did use that unit ALOT. I`m un-sure of the hours, but I personally would have thought it wasn`t excessive.

I thought the unit had a "bearing noise" (that`s what it sounded like to me), right out of the box. HOWEVER, it seemed to go away after using it a while.

Time will tell how long this one will last.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Risky Bizness View Post
    ...I thought the unit had a "bearing noise" (that`s what it sounded like to me), right out of the box. HOWEVER, it seemed to go away after using it a while.

Time will tell how long this one will last.
    You are not imagining things; bearings do, indeed, go through a "break-in" period. I assume that the ball/roller bearing in the G8 is a sealed-for-life type bearing (IE, ungreaseable) and that the metal components were "adjusting" and wearing into each other (AKA breaking in) upon its initial use.
    Dealing with mechanical components as a mechanical design CAD technician (AKA, draftsmen) I know enough about bearings and the long part numbers associated with them that are a manufacturer`s "code" as to what makes up the bearing and what is inside of it. Without going into a long dissertation on bearing construction and design, two things stand out about a sealed-for-life designation that contribute to the life of that bearing and why is is considered sealed-for-life; the type of seal of the races that keep the grease in and dust or dirt out AND the type of grease installed at the factory for that type of rating. There are "precision" or "instrument" bearings made to a very high tolerance and high cost and there are "standard" or "commercial" bearings that are mass-produced at a lower cost. Mechanics sometimes refer to this a "bearing slop" meaning some bearings have a lot of play (slop) in them and some are "tight". Depends on what bearing tolerance is specified by the engineer/CAD technician for a mechanical application (the tolerance being a part of that part number "code"). An example would be a bearing that undergoes a lot of thermal expansion, such as those used in an industrial oven or in a desert climate environment.
    I would assume that the G8 has a "standard" bearing.

Anyone who has replaced a cone bearing on front end spindle of an older vehicle knows that there can be a HUGE difference in price between and OEM-spec bearing and an after-market "imported" (IE, China made) knock-off. There is also a huge difference in quality and, hence, service life/expectancy of that part. Sometimes you do "get what you paid for."
    GB detailer
    Likes SeanKTM liked this post

Thread Information