Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Huh. New Griots.... Rotary

BACK to the new Griot`s Garage GR3 rotary buffer:
    I would like to know why, at this point in time, Griot`s sees fit to offer a small rotary, and apparently, the pads to go with it, and as some have alluded to, a larger rotary polisher in the near future. I would venture to guess it may be appeal to professional detailers who have used rotaries in the past because they are THE tool to get the task of correction and polishing done effectively and in the least amount of time (AKA efficiently).

That and there are a lot of gel-coated fiberglass truck caps/bed covers, water boats, and recreation vehicles that are best corrected and polished by a rotary. It is a big market and selling other car-care products the may "cross-over" and be applicable for Marine/RV care can only add to their bottom line. I am not sure that is their marketing direction, though.

Now here`s the big question: if you are an Autopian hobbyist detailer, would you buy this tool?
    I suppose it depends on how "serious" a hobbyist you are (the-right-tool for-the-right-job mentality) and if your personal detailing budget can afford it.
    Kind of like a "serious" amateur golfer who has a lot of golf clubs their bag.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I’ll take my I brid , watch the Rupes video about a rotary and efficiency

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Now here`s the big question: if you are an Autopian hobbyist detailer, would you buy this tool?
    I wonder the same thing, but I guess it could be useful for somebody who...uhm..oh man, I`m stretching here just trying to come up with something!...flips/reconditions REALLY neglected vehicles all the time. Not *my* idea of a "hobbiest detailer" but different people etc. etc.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure that many hobby detailers need a 3 inch rotary. A RO with 3.5 inch pads would probably be enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Not sure that many hobby detailers need a 3 inch rotary. A RO with 3.5 inch pads would probably be enough.
    Yeah...such a small area being worked...with today`s products...but let`s be brutally frank here: They`re selling it because they believe they`ll make $ off it, *not* for, uhm...other reasons. It`s a business and I hope they sell a ton of [everything they offer] so they`re successful and stay around. Hey, I still *LIKE* Richard and want him and his to do well.
    Likes wannafbody liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. I, too, wonder why Griot`s is going into the rotary market

That and there are a lot of gel-coated fiberglass truck caps/bed covers, water boats, and recreation vehicles that are best corrected and polished by a rotary.
    One thought I have is that guys that already have a full size rotary, don`t really need a smaller rotary. The nice thing about rotary polishers, is that you can use various size backing plates, from 1" all the way up to 7" - granted, doing some fine detail work with a 1" on a big rotary may not be the easiest, but it is certainly possible. Some extensions, and voila, you can get into some tight spots!

I suppose it depends on how "serious" a hobbyist you are (the-right-tool for-the-right-job mentality) and if your personal detailing budget can afford it.
    I often consider myself a hobbyist, but if I`m honest about it, I`d say I`m a bit more. Not full-on Pro that does paint polishing on a regular basis, but more so than I do my own cars.

If I did ONLY my own cars, then I`d probably not buy the tool. But having a small rotary with 1" backing plate has made my life easier. I was running a Flex PE8 for a while, even though I had a Flex PE14. Lacking seat time with rotary tools, I just felt safer using a smaller machine!

With the current design trend from Griot`s, maybe they just figured for "just a little more" development, they can adapt their current line of tools to be made as rotaries. The GR3 has the same basic shape of the new G8. (At least that`s how it looked to me!).

I don`t know. Just thinking.

Though, if all these tools use the same quick connect cord feature, it would be nice to just have ONE cord plugged in, and be able to swap between 2,3, or more tools. I tend to carry between 4 and 5 tools on mobile jobs.

BUUUUUT..... I`m really like CORDLESS tools. Currently using a Flex PxE, and a DeWalt 20v Max 15mm.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    But having a small rotary with 1" backing plate has made my life easier..
    I sure like the sound of *that*, but I gotta ask...how has it made your life easier compared to doing [whatever work it is] via other means?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I sure like the sound of *that*, but I gotta ask...how has it made your life easier compared to doing [whatever work it is] via other means?
    I used to have to get creative with polishing certain areas. Coming at [certain areas] from different angles, different pad sizes. There were times where I`d have to do the polishing by hand. No thanks.

No longer have to do all that. I just grab the small polisher, extension, and the pad of choice. Less thinking involved, less time spent doing those areas.

Off the top of my head, the areas that come to mind are the door panel, around the side mirrors. Around emblems in certain cases.

Post Thanks / Like

JustJesus- OK, just wondered. I`d still want to use a RO/DA for anything that didn`t *have* to be done by hand.

Don`t you get holograms from using the rotary for those areas and have to follow-up anyhow?

Post Thanks / Like

I "driveway detailed" for 50 years without a 1-3" rotary. But now that I have one, my mind flashes back to all the times over the years I could have used one and saved a whole lot of arm rubbing!

My most used combo: a 1" Flex orange buff with an extension.

Where`s it used the most: removing "rash" off the corners of painted bumpers & marks in paint.

Do I really need it: Nope

Reaction of friends when I remove a blemish off their car in seconds: Priceless.

Huh. New Griots.... Rotary-flex-ext-installed.jpg
    Likes JustJesus, mc2hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

JustJesus- OK, just wondered. I`d still want to use a RO/DA for anything that didn`t *have* to be done by hand.

Don`t you get holograms from using the rotary for those areas and have to follow-up anyhow?
    Does the mini rotary cause holograms..absolutely, but on small areas they are not noticeable.

Post Thanks / Like

Always breaking out rotary on wranglers anyone else? With small plates and pads PIA areas everywhere on wranglers.
    Likes John U liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Does the mini rotary cause holograms..absolutely, but on small areas they are not noticeable.
    Maybe not...*UNLESS* you inspect the way I do.

Yeah..I know but holograms are a pet peeve of mine and my wife`s. We simply will not drive a vehicle that has them. Period. No, I don`t expect others, even other Autopians, to be so fanatical about it. But we are.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I`d think that an air powered mini orbital would be cheaper and just as effective providing someone has a large enough air compressor.

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to stick with softer pads and lighter polish (not heavy pad / compound) for the times I bring out the mini rotary. This has been working okay for me, mainly because....

Maybe not...*UNLESS* you inspect the way I do.

No, I don`t expect others, even other Autopians, to be so fanatical about it. But we are.
    There`s only ONE client I have that would be that fanatical. On one of his cars, a 1976 Porsche 912 that received a "frame off" restoration, you bet I`ll do anything and everything to make it as perfect as I can get it within the budget and time constraints. His other cars, depending on what he`s asking for, may not need to be as "Accumulator worthy"

To date, in the [not that many] cars I`ve done, I haven`t had a single person that wasn`t satisfied. Or point out a left-over swirl or hologram.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information