Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

MINOR ISSUES WITH GRIOTS G9 machine

Hello members
    Does anyone know what the minor issues with the g9 machine are.
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MINOR ISSUES WITH GRIOTS G9 machine

Somebody should know. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bull6791 View Post
    Somebody should know. Thanks
    Price, it could be lower.

Post Thanks / Like

The issues have to something else not just price. Thanks

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Is that the one they were having backing plate issues with? And 9mm throw is a bit on the short side. 15 or 21mm would work faster.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the G9 had issues with their power cord .

Post Thanks / Like

I do not know. That’s why is was asking to find out the issues.
    I had great reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Is that the one they were having backing plate issues with? And 9mm throw is a bit on the short side. 15 or 21mm would work faster.
    I believe that is the new G15 or G21

Post Thanks / Like

Bull6791- Welcome to Autopia!

I do not know..[what the issues might be]... That’s why is was asking to find out the issues.
    I had great reviews.
    What makes you think there *are* issues?

I`d wondered about the detachable cord, but people here assured me it wasn`t a problem. Only negative thing I can recall about them is that you apparently *must* remove the cord to fit it back in its original box (which did indeed disappoint me).

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator. Thanks for the welcome. I am new to using a da polisher. I was going to get the griots g9 machine. I heard there was minor issues but I don’t know. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Bull6791 - Any details on the issues you`ve heard about?

The only issue I`ve heard of with the G9 is the power cords on the early units had issues. It was the cord itself, nothing with the unit.

I can speak to this - I had gotten a G9 the first week they came out. I used it for a couple full details with no issue, then halfway through the third I ran into the machine cutting out. I figured out it was the cable (not the quick connect portion exactly, it was where the cord entered that block of the cable). I was able to finish the detail by articulating the cable to get me by.

Here`s the biggest thing I can tell you about the G9 - the Griot`s warranty is awesome. I called them and discussed what happened, they immediately sent out a new cable without me needing to send the old one in first. (They also gave me an RMA for a one person brake bleeder I bought 8 years ago - the handle cracked. No questions asked, they`ll get me a credit when they receive it since they don`t sell it anymore). Got the cable in short order, plugged it in, I`m back in business. Again - mine was a very early run machine, and my understanding is that they identified and corrected the cable issue for later G9s.

If you`re doing this for money, then I`d just buy an extra cable (I`d just get the 25 foot`r) so you don`t risk any down time.

Post Thanks / Like

Because this machine has such a high-wattage motor, I would highly suggest a 12 GA wire extension electrical cord if you are using this with the standard 10-ft electrical "cable" power cord that came with this polisher.

I would like to know if any professional detailers use this machine daily in their business and runs this machine for extended periods of time (more than 3-hours at a time, but obviously not continuously, since you are changing out pads and/or stopping to wipe off the compound/polish and inspect the correcting progress) if this machine gets hot from extended use.

Any comments on the ergonomics of this machine, like speed-control switch locations and on-off switch, hand-holding locations, and overall motor "smoothness", or induced fatigue from extended use.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    If you`re doing this for money, then I`d just buy an extra cable (I`d just get the 25 foot`r) so you don`t risk any down time.
    I always buy the longest cord they offer, despite having a *LOT* of outlets all over the shop and numerous extension cords. It just makes things easier. Those few scant minutes that "shouldn`t matter" spent doing "piddly little stuff" like [messing] around with the cord can bug me when they interrupt my workflow.

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie - Great point on the extension cord.

While I`m far in the amateur camp (ok, I know a thing or two, I just don`t have the frequency behind the machine to think much higher of myself. ), I didn`t notice any heat issues during my handful of full car corrections.

Ergonomics wise - I do appreciate the shape of the machine. It`s very easy to reposition and have a comfortable grasp for working, whatever the position you`re in.

Speed Control - Easy to use, haven`t had any trouble accidentally bumping it. The digital speed controller works great, the only time I remember it`s even a thing is when you spin the pad up off the car to clean it between sections. Not in a bad way, just differently enough that you go "Oh yeah, digital." (You feel it scale the power back for a fraction of a second to regulate RPM since it`s in the air).

On/Off Switch/Trigger lock - I found myself overthinking the trigger lock at first. If you just do it and don`t think about it, it works just fine.

Use observations - I compared noise levels to my GG6 on speed 6 before I sold it to a coworker, and was slightly disappointed that they`re awfully close peak DB wise. But, in practice I end up using the G9 on speed 5 more than I ever did on my GG6. On speed 5, it`s noticeably more quiet and smoother than the GG6. After a long stint of running the machine, I feel like your hands are less "tingly" than with the old machine. May just be the different ergonomics and back to how easy it is to get comfortable with it.

I know you`re looking for a more seasoned opinion, but thought I`d at least get you some feedback.
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I always buy the longest cord they offer, despite having a *LOT* of outlets all over the shop and numerous extension cords. It just makes things easier. Those few scant minutes that "shouldn`t matter" spent doing "piddly little stuff" like [messing] around with the cord can bug me when they interrupt my workflow.
    I`ll probably apply my credit from that brake bleeder and pick up the longer cord.

When Griot`s warrantied my original GG6 (1st gen, warrantied probably 10 years after I bought it because it was just barely spitting some of the oils from the grease from the head of the unit), they upgraded it to the long cord. Definitely miss that extra cable with my current machine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information