Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    1,807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Redesigned G21 and G15 Polishers

    I see that Griot`s Garage is offering their "new" redesigned G21 and G15 polishers. Basically, what is different, according their website description is that the motors are 22% more powerful (1,100 watts 10 Amp versus the old Boss 900 watt 7.5 Amp) and incorporate a new finned designed backing plate for better cooling and increased pad life, where the old backing plate was a vented design. It  also seems that a quick-connect power cord is part of the redesign, similar to what has been offered on new G9.
    The availability will be in late May 2020, again according to the GG website.

    With the cost being about $10 to $15 more than the old BOSS that it is replacing (that is how GG is designating the new models it by dropping the "BOSS" nomenclature from the model call-out, until the old design is sold out) it is not that much more expensive than the models it is replacing. I see that the old BOSS G15 is no longer for sale on the GG website store; apparently sold out. I know many of you Autopians were speculating that something was brewing when the prices were dropped on the old models. Griot`s Garage still has the old BOSS G21 for sale.

    Is it worth the wait? How much "better" is it than the old BOSS G15 and G21? I am sure that there are Autopian beta-testers out there who know that answer, but are sworn to secrecy, and rightly so. In the mean time, we wait for more hands-on experience, evaluation, and opinions. I am not sure if these new buffer/polishers will be "pre-release demonstrated" to the general public by Griot`s Garage in the immediate future at a car show or GG Public relations/demonstration event, given the current COVID-19 pandemic and it effect on mass public gatherings of any sort (mid-March 2020). BUT if you hear anything or, by chance, are one of the fortunate non-beta-testers to try it out, let us know.

    Like many hobbyist who are on the fence about buying a new buffer/polisher and waiting for the next development in such machines, this new offering may be just the machine some of you have been waiting for. When paired with the now-available new smaller G8 buffer that uses smaller pads for those tight or difficult-to-reach areas, hobbyist now have affordable quality buffer/polisher machine options that are within reason available to them.
    GB detailer
    Likes Loach liked this post
    Thanks Mary B, felixthecat, Stokdgs thanked for this post

  2. #2
    JustJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    2,307
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Redesigned G21 and G15 Polishers

    Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Like many hobbyist who are on the fence about buying a new buffer/polisher and waiting for the next development in such machines, this new offering may be just the machine some of you have been waiting for. When paired with the now-available new smaller G8 buffer that uses smaller pads for those tight or difficult-to-reach areas, hobbyist now have affordable quality buffer/polisher machine options that are within reason available to them.
    I agree. The price point for the new line-up is great. And I really do like the idea of using only 1 cord for multiple machines.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Mary B liked this post

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    1,118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Redesigned G21 and G15 Polishers

    My thing is knowing Griots, with the old Bosses at regular price well over $100 dollars more, is this a lesser quality machine?

    Either Griots was paying the same and gouging us (Highly doubt it) or the are paying less for these machines. Paying less may not equate less quality bit just gives my pause for thought


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Mary B liked this post

  4. #4
    donbeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Nederland, TX
    Posts
    1,524
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Redesigned G21 and G15 Polishers

    no wonder they didnt let me trade in my old boss g21...
    Likes Mary B liked this post

  5. #5
    Mary B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Burnsville Mn.
    Posts
    1,479
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Redesigned G21 and G15 Polishers

    I kinda like the feel of the old style Boss, the rubber is softer maybe.
    I believe they will be collector items.

    The gun handle grip, feels like a gun. Entire handle is rubberized.
    The massive platypus front handle, rubber on both sides.
    I love the boss machines !!



    Something to be said for more power I guess ??

    Thanks JustJesus, Stokdgs thanked for this post

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    85,751
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Redesigned G21 and G15 Polishers

    If the New version of the 15 really *is* better, I`m gonna feel like a sucker, having the v1.0. Like...I should`ve learned after the useless v1.0 Electric 3" that I feel I got [messed] over about..and the FACOM tools they no longer support...and and and..I`ve had a [boat]-load of stuff from them that I bought for a lifetime`s use only to have it become "no longer supported".

    So, IF that really is the case with the 15/21, I`ll be disappointed as all get-out, and not what I expect from Richard`s company; I`ll wonder just how personally involved he really is with "his" company these days.

    Too bad I`m even thinking about such things seeing as how they`ve upped their game in so many ways.
    Likes Mary B liked this post

  7. #7
    JustJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    2,307
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Redesigned G21 and G15 Polishers

    Quote Originally Posted by Mary B View Post
    I kinda like the feel of the old style Boss, the rubber is softer maybe.
    I believe they will be collector items.

    Thanks Mary, for that nice side by side pic!

    The main thing I`m liking about the new machines, be it G8, G9, or the large throws, is the detachable cord. Granted, I don`t own any of these, so I can`t speak to how they are in real life. I suspect it can help keep things tidy around the work area.

    The main thing i DISLIKE about the new machines, is they seem "taller" from the pad contact surface. Again, not sure how this will translate to the real world. Personally, I would prefer my tool body / hand placement to be closer to the surface. Less "tipsy" that way.

    Here`s what I`m talking about. [I`m no graphic designer, and using limited tools on my smartphone] It seems the distance is greater on the new machines (the blue lines in the pic). [The machines in the pic are not to scale]






    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I...and and and..I`ve had a [boat]-load of stuff from them that I bought for a lifetime`s use only to have it become "no longer supported".

    So, IF that really is the case with the 15/21, I`ll be disappointed as all get-out, and not what I expect from Richard`s company; I`ll wonder just how personally involved he really is with "his" company these days.

    Too bad I`m even thinking about such things seeing as how they`ve upped their game in so many ways.

    They have upped their game in so many ways, Totally agree with that. I appreciate some of the things they`ve done, like the detachable cord [can you tell, I`m really liking the idea?] and their great price points for a [seemingly] quality tool.

    That being said, what good is "lifetime" if things phase out and are no longer supported? I was going to send in my GG3 for repairs, but that was about the time the G8 came out, and I believed they would just do the "upgrade" instead of repairing my tool. No thanks. I think I would prefer the smaller footprint of the GG3.

    Not sure how involved he is, but a recent video from Griot`s had him on a live Q&A session. It went a bit over an hour. I didn`t watch it myself, though, so I can`t comment on that.
    Likes Mary B, Stokdgs, rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Thanks Mary B, Stokdgs thanked for this post

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    85,751
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Redesigned G21 and G15 Polishers

    Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    I was going to send in my GG3 for repairs, but that was about the time the G8 came out, and I believed they would just do the "upgrade" instead of repairing my tool. No thanks. I think I would prefer the smaller footprint of the GG3..
    I gather you find your version of the 3" satisfactory...or even better than that. It *is* a lot more compact than the G8.

    Not sure how involved he is, but a recent video from Griot`s had him on a live Q&A session. It went a bit over an hour
    Well, that`s something. I hope he`s doing OK, he sure has put on weight...
    Likes Mary B liked this post

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    185
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Redesigned G21 and G15 Polishers

    Quote Originally Posted by Mary B View Post
    I kinda like the feel of the old style Boss, the rubber is softer maybe.
    I believe they will be collector items.

    The gun handle grip, feels like a gun. Entire handle is rubberized.
    The massive platypus front handle, rubber on both sides.
    I love the boss machines !!



    Something to be said for more power I guess ??

    Gordon

    Nothing massed produced from China will ever be collectible. Maybe sentimental
    Likes Mary B, dwaleke, rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    1,118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Redesigned G21 and G15 Polishers

    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    If the New version of the 15 really *is* better, I`m gonna feel like a sucker, having the v1.0. Like...I should`ve learned after the useless v1.0 Electric 3" that I feel I got [messed] over about..and the FACOM tools they no longer support...and and and..I`ve had a [boat]-load of stuff from them that I bought for a lifetime`s use only to have it become "no longer supported".

    So, IF that really is the case with the 15/21, I`ll be disappointed as all get-out, and not what I expect from Richard`s company; I`ll wonder just how personally involved he really is with "his" company these days.

    Too bad I`m even thinking about such things seeing as how they`ve upped their game in so many ways.
    I feel like it will be hard to top the old boss on cheaper machines.... I could be wrong. The nice thing is if it fails you... your covered. The more power could be a benefit but I didnt feel as the Boss was underpowered


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Mary B liked this post
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    1,118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Redesigned G21 and G15 Polishers

    Quote Originally Posted by bad penny View Post
    Gordon

    Nothing massed produced from China will ever be collectible. Maybe sentimental
    Lol alot of collectible toys from the 80’s are from china.





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Mary B liked this post
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    242
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Redesigned G21 and G15 Polishers

    I`m not overly excited about the removable power cord. Eventually, it will become loose and cause issues as anything that clicks into place and is removed over time will do.
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    85,751
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Redesigned G21 and G15 Polishers

    Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    The more power could be a benefit but I didnt feel as the Boss was underpowered
    Well, I`ve yet to have *any* polisher that couldn`t use more power..except for the rotaries.

    Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80
    I`m not overly excited about the removable power cord. Eventually, it will become loose and cause issues..
    same here, but I plan to just leave it plugged in all the time.
    Likes Coatings=crack, Mary B liked this post

  14. #14
    felixthecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Jet city
    Posts
    222
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Redesigned G21 and G15 Polishers

    Thanx Mary for the comparo pix....I`m sticking w/ the older g15 as it works great for me & looking at the pix shows possibly that the older machines are more comfortable then the new machines. The older 15 machines being sold out, tells you most ppl go fo 15`s over the 21`s. Be curios to see if the newer b/p makes a difference. I`d think the new b/p would bolt on. For me there`s more then enough power using Griots 5.5 m/f pads.....For me, the removable cord is one more connection for issues. There`s always going to be the newest greatest whatever coming out....phones, tv`s, vehicles, ect. Its one thing if it was a totally new design vs a refresh as some vehicles.
    Likes Mary B liked this post
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    242
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Redesigned G21 and G15 Polishers

    I`m assuming as the G21/15 have issues they`ll replace them with these newer versions (under warranty) like they did with each subsequent generation of the GG6.
    Likes Coatings=crack, Mary B liked this post

 

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 1 guests)

  1. RZJZA80

Similar Threads

  1. Small polishers vs big polishers
    By JBM in forum Paint Correction and Gloss Enhancement
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-04-2016, 04:12 PM
  2. DA polishers
    By WonderTwin in forum Polishing with a DA Polisher
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-15-2010, 03:03 AM
  3. New Redesigned NXT Bottle = New Forumla?
    By Bioman in forum Car Detailing Product Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-21-2006, 10:13 PM
  4. QD+ going to be redesigned
    By Poorboy in forum Poorboy's World Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-02-2004, 09:53 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •