Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Redesigned G21 and G15 Polishers

They`re coming in very competitive at that price point at $240/$250, which is much less expensive than the previous gen when first released. Bit surprised they`re dropping the BOSS nomenclature I was not expecting that, but I do like this body design a lot. Trigger on these will be a progressive variable speed trigger which differs from the on/off trigger of the G9. New cooling integration on the backing plate, and this feature has me very interested as well:

"Balancing the combined weight of a backing plate, buffing pad, and the liquid on the pad translates into less vibration and a smoother running machine. For instance, microfiber pads generally weigh nearly twice as much as a foam pad so fine tuning is beneficial. Our innovative Weight Optimization System consists of three uniquely engineered fasteners, each weight-matched to a Griot`s Garage pad type to ensure you`ll enjoy best in class performance from these machines."

And the below pulled from the online manual: https://vidweb.aws.marketlive.com/gr...0915_10921.pdf

G15/G21 WEIGHT OPTIMIZATION SYSTEM

There is a proverbial dance that occurs between an orbital polisher`s counterbalance and the combined weight of a backing plate, buffing pad, and the liquid on the
    pad. Balancing this combined weight translates into less vibration and a smoother running machine. For instance, microfiber pads generally weigh nearly twice as much as a foam pad so fine tuning is beneficial. Our innovative Weight Optimization System consists of three uniquely engineered bolts, each weight-matched to a Griot’s Garage pad type to ensure you’ll enjoy best in class performance from these machines.

So a way to fine-tune the balancing of the pad on the spot which is going to work great for working with a variety of different pad types. Very cool stuff coming out at Griot`s this year, can`t wait to hear some feedback from the testers.
    WaxMode - Product Testing & Reviews
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve never used one before...but am interested, especially at that price point for another `back up` machine if needed. Ergo`s can make all the difference!

I still need to trade in one of my GG6`s!!!

Thanks for posting!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Loach- Hey, that`s interesting about the progressive trigger, thanks for mentioning it.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally miss my Original G21 modded with a Katana BP, that was the mostly beastly DA I`ve ever used. It was like a hot knife through butter with Gel coats!
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80 View Post
    I`m assuming as the G21/15 have issues they`ll replace them with these newer versions (under warranty) like they did with each subsequent generation of the GG6.
    I`m not expecting any issues w/ my older 15 & I wouldn`t except any major problems w/ the 21 as well. For the newer 15/21`s yea I could see the cord connector to be a issue. Just looking at the hand grips of the two says the older machine is more ergonomical. Not near a issue if you bought a used Rupes & had to try & get it repaired/redone if you bought it 2nd hand or pass the one yr warranty, enough thou I like the duetto......
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, all these newfangled polishers with killer specs are possibly gonna kill lots of paintjobs through over-thinned clear. I see *so* much of that in my area already, clear as day...you can often tell exactly how the (over)polishing was done.

Not that I mind having the extra power to speed things along, but I hope everybody remembers to know when to accept "enough better" instead of always aiming for Autopian Perfection.
    Likes Stokdgs, felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It’s good someone’s got to compete with flex and rupes. The lifetime warranty is a nice tickle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Heh heh, all these newfangled polishers with killer specs are possibly gonna kill lots of paintjobs through over-thinned clear. I see *so* much of that in my area already, clear as day...you can often tell exactly how the (over)polishing was done.

Not that I mind having the extra power to speed things along, but I hope everybody remembers to know when to accept "enough better" instead of always aiming for Autopian Perfection.
    Now I have to add a Paint Thickness Gauge (PTG) to my detailing tools! I do think, though, your point is well taken, especially on newer vehicles and recent paint/clear coat techniques being used in the manufacturing process.
    It is also the reason Mike Lambert suggests using the new Griot`s Garage G9 polisher with its not-to-aggressive 9mm throw on thinned clears of multi-polished older vehicles OR the fore-mentioned newer vehicles. The "problem" being unless you measure the paint/clear coat on a vehicle, how do know. And if you do not, your run that risk of burn-through or least reducing the life-expectancy of an exterior surface. It is a scary scenario, especially in the used-vehicle market. MAYBE the Car-Fax needs to include paint thickness readings... just sayin`!
    GB detailer
    Likes felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie- It`s been forever since I bought a vehicle (what a change!), but, for the last however many, when I did I always took my ETG [INSERT usual rant about how I hate mine HERE]. Even if sections were repainted/other complications, it gave me some idea about what I was (really) buying.

Thinned paint was the primary reason I passed on at least a half-dozen (!) ex-LE Crown Vics; resellers always overdid trying to undo all the in-service damage...

And yeah, I never use any of my more aggressive polishers/pads/products on our thin-paint vehicles. On the `93 Audi I did *one* last correction when I got it back in `08...doing more damage ...which got it good enough as long as nobody touches the thing except for my washes.

Way back when I had that (new) POS `01 Mazda MPV I was shocked at the upon-delivery/untouched paint ETG readings; one Autopian C&B-level correction would`ve destroyed it long-term-wise. I had maybe three microns to spare over its service life.

Not to pick on *you*, but I for one wish we`d all quit mentioning "burn through" since the paintjob will be compromised *WAY* before taking off that much. Yeah, I`m doing OK with that `93, but I don`t leave it parked in the sun for hours either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    I was going to send in my GG3 for repairs, but that was about the time the G8 came out, and I believed they would just do the "upgrade" instead of repairing my tool. No thanks. I think I would prefer the smaller footprint of the GG3.
    I gather you find your version of the 3" satisfactory...or even better than that. It *is* a lot more compact than the G8.
    Oh for sure! I do wonder why so many complain about it. Then again, I never used the v1 model myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post

G15/G21 WEIGHT OPTIMIZATION SYSTEM

There is a proverbial dance that occurs between an orbital polisher`s counterbalance and the combined weight of a backing plate, buffing pad, and the liquid on the
    pad. Balancing this combined weight translates into less vibration and a smoother running machine. For instance, microfiber pads generally weigh nearly twice as much as a foam pad so fine tuning is beneficial. Our innovative Weight Optimization System consists of three uniquely engineered bolts, each weight-matched to a Griot’s Garage pad type to ensure you’ll enjoy best in class performance from these machines.

So a way to fine-tune the balancing of the pad on the spot which is going to work great for working with a variety of different pad types. Very cool stuff coming out at Griot`s this year, can`t wait to hear some feedback from the testers.
    That is interesting. I wonder how effective it is. Now I`m curious to see how it would "feel" during polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this info, Loach!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Likes Loach liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Thanks for this info, Loach!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    This is the first I`m seeing this info. I`m assuming GG sells these additional bolts?

Post Thanks / Like

I haven`t looked, but I`m guessing they will sell them, or more than likely, include them with the polisher units. Much like how they include a washer for the "washer mod" with the BOSS G15 and G21.

Post Thanks / Like

So I am assuming that the user changes out the screws based on the pad to be used from the table, much like changing weights in a Porter-Cable Dual Action (PC-DA) for balancing of backing plates and pads of a diameter than the standard from-the-factory 6" plate.
    Are those screws slotted countersunk flat heads, slotted pan heads, or Phillips head screws, hex-keyed countersunk screws? Yes, the drive tool used to remove and tighten the screw head makes a BIG difference, especially if you need to do this often enough. Anyone here KNOWS what happens to slotted screws that are repeatedly removed and tightened; the slot strips out. Does not say if they include a tool to do so, like a hex key, or if it is a special drive, like a Torx (Those special star-shaped recessed holes in screws that GM uses; my preference for constant removal/tightening. Captain Obvious, the engineer!)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

That is what I take: match the bolt to the pad. But just a bolt/washer, not so much a big chunk of counterweight

Not sure about the drive method for the bolts for the WOS (weight optimization system). When I took apart my PC recently, i did find a mix of Phillips and Torx, and one hex bolt where I needed a socket.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information