Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PFM Drying Towel(s) and using Bead Maker as a drying aid

Ammo Hydrate with a PFM is a whole nother experience when drying the car. It ‘s great when using a different towel and Hydrate or the PFM with another drying aid.

The feel i get drying the combo and how, as i perceive, the hydrate actually helps it suck up more water. Its just awesome.... 2 products that will always be in my arsenal.

My thinking is i use 2 16x16 for usually $15. They are going strong into year two. If i can get just 2 years of that experience using Hydrate then thats $7.50 per year more than enough return on my investment. I’ll probably have longer than that....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Not the PFM but similar, Mckees Glacier 16x16. Was using OG’s preferred FTW with Opti seal, CS3 or Beadmaker.. until buying and using the Glacier. The longer twist loop strands glide across the paint really smooth. FTW’s demoted to jams lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kjeeper View Post
    Not the PFM but similar, Mckees Glacier 16x16. Was using OG’s preferred FTW with Opti seal, CS3 or Beadmaker.. until buying and using the Glacier. The longer twist loop strands glide across the paint really smooth. FTW’s demoted to jams lol
    Did you ever compare PFM to the glacier? The price has me intrested in glacier?

Post Thanks / Like

So the consensus is:
    1) Use a PFM towel for drying the initial rinse water
    2) Use a separate drying towel for use with Bead Maker as a drying agent
    3a) Wash them in HOT water
    3b) Wash the Bead Maker-impregnated microfiber drying towels separately to avoid cross-contamination (Might be a bit overboard, and hence an optional consideration)
    4) What you use as a detergent does make a difference in how clean they get. Suggested to use a microfiber-specific cleaning detergent.
    5) Use vinegar in the rinse first cycle (you ARE using a two-step rinse cycle!?) to soften them
    6) Dry on lower heat without fabric sheets (I do air dry outside on a clothes line, BUT only on windier days AND when no one is cutting the lawns OR if there is NO cottonwood dander, pollen, or leaf debris floating in the air)
    GB detailer
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie- The only thing on your list that makes me wonder is "3b", and that only because I dunno whether the "laundered-out" BM will act different from, uhm....other laundered-out stuff like Polishes/dirt/whatever.

And of course I dry everything in the Dryer, but hey, that`s just me...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    So the consensus is:
    1) Use a PFM towel for drying the initial rinse water
    2) Use a separate drying towel for use with Bead Maker as a drying agent
    3a) Wash them in HOT water
    3b) Wash the Bead Maker-impregnated microfiber drying towels separately to avoid cross-contamination (Might be a bit overboard, and hence an optional consideration)
    4) What you use as a detergent does make a difference in how clean they get. Suggested to use a microfiber-specific cleaning detergent.
    5) Use vinegar in the rinse first cycle (you ARE using a two-step rinse cycle!?) to soften them
    6) Dry on lower heat without fabric sheets (I do air dry outside on a clothes line, BUT only on windier days AND when no one is cutting the lawns OR if there is NO cottonwood dander, pollen, or leaf debris floating in the air)

There is always dander, pollen, leaf debris, or dust in the air, don`t fool yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    There is always dander, pollen, leaf debris, or dust in the air, don`t fool yourself.
    That always comes to mind when I see people posting about having to Detail outdoors. Which yeah, I did when I was a kid...and could *usually* get away with even in the days of soft ss lacquer, but not always by a long shot.

Post Thanks / Like

No problems using pfm’s with drying aid. I wash on hot or medium. Tumble dry low for 10 minites then hang dry. All towels have stayed soft and absorbent for over a year.

I Use Griots Microfiber and pad cleaner 50/50 with a free and clear detergent which is recommended (mixing) by griots....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by estcstm3 View Post
    Did you ever compare PFM to the glacier? The price has me intrested in glacier?
    Missed this ... never used a PFM. The loops look to be shorter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kjeeper View Post
    Missed this ... never used a PFM. The loops look to be shorter.
    Im a PFM user and just got my first glaciers. Will try them next wash, once this rain stops.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I only use a specific for microfiber soap, never used anything else..
    Like to wash them warm or hot water temp., depending on what I just used them for.

Like to occasionally run Distilled White Vinegar ( Gallon Jug at Walmart), in the Rinse Cycle, sometimes, I might add a little to the Wash Cycle with the microfiber soap..

Run all microfibers in a Clean Dryer on Low Temps, monitor that load to insure they don`t get too hot, take them out and fold them while warm..

Never, Ever, use any of those Downy Coating Liquids for laundry in the Wash Cycle, Never, Ever, use those Coating Sheets for laundry in the Dryer...

These things coat your laundry ! Every time I visited my Parents when they were alive, and used their towels, I was amazed how terrible they absorbed water.. Yes, my Dear Mother, was a fan of those blue laundry sheet things AND Downy in the Wash, forever..

Since I was alive before those horrid blue, etc., colored things were invented and towels were hung on lines outside, I can tell you, there IS a difference..

Perhaps, it would be good, to occasionally run a big Affresh Pill in the Washer to help clean it all out and perhaps make the wash more efficient for cleaning instead of sloshing all that extra Downy water in there already, on your towels again???

Or perhaps a load of Distilled White Vinegar through the machine before you wash your microfibers??

I`ve read this whole post and even my old microfibers from 15+years ago still work great.. No issues with absorption..

Regarding Tankless water heaters- I have never seen one I can say I liked.. Perhaps it is a bigger math equation than I can do, but I will never understand how water that is running by some hot elements, (that is definitely jacking up your electric bill, right?), is ever going to be better than the old 50-gal tank, already full of hot water that is usually run by way less expensive natural gas..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I only use a specific for microfiber soap, never used anything else..
    Like to wash them warm or hot water temp., depending on what I just used them for.

Like to occasionally run Distilled White Vinegar ( Gallon Jug at Walmart), in the Rinse Cycle, sometimes, I might add a little to the Wash Cycle with the microfiber soap..

Run all microfibers in a Clean Dryer on Low Temps, monitor that load to insure they don`t get too hot, take them out and fold them while warm..

Never, Ever, use any of those Downy Coating Liquids for laundry in the Wash Cycle, Never, Ever, use those Coating Sheets for laundry in the Dryer...

These things coat your laundry ! Every time I visited my Parents when they were alive, and used their towels, I was amazed how terrible they absorbed water.. Yes, my Dear Mother, was a fan of those blue laundry sheet things AND Downy in the Wash, forever..

Since I was alive before those horrid blue, etc., colored things were invented and towels were hung on lines outside, I can tell you, there IS a difference..

Perhaps, it would be good, to occasionally run a big Affresh Pill in the Washer to help clean it all out and perhaps make the wash more efficient for cleaning instead of sloshing all that extra Downy water in there already, on your towels again???

Or perhaps a load of Distilled White Vinegar through the machine before you wash your microfibers??

I`ve read this whole post and even my old microfibers from 15+years ago still work great.. No issues with absorption..

Regarding Tankless water heaters- I have never seen one I can say I liked.. Perhaps it is a bigger math equation than I can do, but I will never understand how water that is running by some hot elements, (that is definitely jacking up your electric bill, right?), is ever going to be better than the old 50-gal tank, already full of hot water that is usually run by way less expensive natural gas..
    Dan F
    I pay £16 for each Rag Company Gauntlet towel I have - no chance I`m putting any LSP near them!!! If you`ve got a properly hydrophobic coating, why not sheet the bulk of the water (95%) off then use the PFM, alternatively use something less expensive like a Pluffle towel to apply your QD/drying aid?

I see people mentioning pre-soaking... in MF detergent or dilute APC? Mine could be sitting in my detailing wash basket for weeks before I get around to washing, would it do any harm to leave them in the solution for that long?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atbalfour
    I see people mentioning pre-soaking... in MF detergent or dilute APC? Mine could be sitting in my detailing wash basket for weeks before I get around to washing, would it do any harm to leave them in the solution for that long?
    I do both/either approach for presoaking although with mine it`s usually more a case of "pre-spotting" by spraying the stuff on the obviously stained areas and then letting them sit. And mine can sit for a *LONG* time too, just like yours. No problems so far, but I`m not saying that letting it go for so long is a good idea.

Somebody feel free to correct me if I`m wrong here, but I view MF as basically a form of "plastic" and none of my MF Detergents or APCs (at least not the ones I use for this) have ever [messed] up any plastics for me, so I figured I`d be OK and so far so good.

Regulars here can quit reading this post now, as what follows has been posted by Yours Truly countless times in the past:

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post

Agree on the Dryer Sheets for Towels, agree on the "never use either one!" for MFs, but as I`m always posting, the Fabric Softeners are a !YMMV! thing. Yeah, I`m posting that *yet again* just because you mentioned Downy specifically, and that one (NOT others), when used *in moderation* does not negatively affect the absorbency of my *cotton* towels. Can`t over do it, and I sure wouldn`t do it *if they don`t need it to be usably soft*, but the way I use it it doesn`t [mess] up my cotton towels.
    Oh man, air-drying my cotton towels *without having used the Downy*, which is indeed the way I sometimes do the Dog Textiles, results in stiff, nasty-rough towels that I hate using on my *hands*, let alone more sensitive areas. And they don`t soak up water any better than the ones I use Downy for and dry in the Dryer.

Yeah yeah, I know...but hey, I did say !YMMV!

And yes indeed, you absolutely do need to clean out the Washer and Dryer far more regularly if/when you use that [stuff]. Man, I sure *wish* I didn`t need to use that Downy at all...and I will say that I have one set of old Martex Grand Patrician towels, and a few other oddball ones, that come out soft-as-can-be without it, so of course those don`t get it.

Even your WWMFs? My WWMFs which have *always* eventually quit soaking up water, other than the newest one that I got as a freebie from, uhm...somebody. Now *that* one works great and doesn`t lint...I *think* it might be the one from MF Madness, but I wouldn`t swear to it and since it wasn`t invoiced I have no way to verify.

Post Thanks / Like

My WW MFs stopped absorbing as well. That’s why I got PFMs and haven’t looked back.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    My WW MFs stopped absorbing as well. That’s why I got PFMs and haven’t looked back.
    Everybody seems to love their PFMs I sometimes wonder whether I would too, but, uhm...nah...

The WWs still soak up water if I "prime" them first, but doing that invariably leaves more moisture behind than I want. Yeah, it evaporates, but it`s still not the right thing for me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information