Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning glass pads

Yeah i can’t remember but just read an article not recommending blowing out foam pads due to imbedded particles being forced into pads eventually working themselves back out.

I used a pad cleaning brush and pad conditioner after each pass. I used about 7-8 on my car but you could probably use less.

Thing is this your paint. Reason your on this forum. If you can afford the extra 30-50 to get 6 more pads do it. Would suck to do all the work to correct and polish paint only to be marring your paint.

Even some inexpensive ones. Rather have a cheap pad than a dirty pad on my paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

OK, True Confession time:

Way back in the day before velcro-backed pads, the ones for the Cyclo were *incredibly* hard to swap out....a genuine challenge for some people and a hassle for everyone else. So yeah... ...we`d sometimes do a vehicle with one set of pads. Cyclo green polishing pads and Malm`s Polish (which ya *never* hear about any more).

It didn`t turn out all that great, but as long as we stopped to clean those pads frequently, and replaced them pretty often, it was good enough for used-car inventory. But it wasn`t right, and I sure didn`t do it that way on my vehicles or on units I cared about.

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack
    Yeah i can’t remember but just read an article not recommending blowing out foam pads due to imbedded particles being forced into pads eventually working themselves back out.
    That`s never happened to me, but I can imagine how it could.

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs
    I don`t know Brian from Apex Detail..
    Am not sure how 1 pad, microfiber or foam would ever be able to correct, polish, finish, an entire vehicle without losing a lot of it`s abilities to perform at the highest quality of work..
    I don`t know him either and don`t want to flame somebody based on second-hand info. But I sure did think, for the gazillionth time, "hey, it`s the Internet".

If your guy is using any of the random orbital machines out there, which put a lot more stress on the pad because of all the movement, compared to a Rotary, I am amazed...
    Hey, that`s a good point. And some RO/DA polishers are harder on pads than others. And some people really lean on their polishers...

And OTOH, some machines are very gentle on pads and some users "let the product do the work" without pressure, and and and. Lotsa variables...
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, I did the glass on our Sport Trac TODAY, AND I DID NOT use as much of the polish. It went A L O T better. Glass is sure clear !!!!

Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Risky Bizness- Hey, that`s great news! Sounds like you`re all dialed-in with it now. Hope it lasts a long time, results seem to vary.

Post Thanks / Like

I will try to keep accurate info, on this project, and see how it turns out. I am going to do our 2017 FX4 K/R as we are planning a trip to the Gulf in June, and would be a perfect opportunity to see how it does with bugs on the windshield.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Risky Bizness View Post
    I will try to keep accurate info, on this project, and see how it turns out. I am going to do our 2017 FX4 K/R as we are planning a trip to the Gulf in June, and would be a perfect opportunity to see how it does with bugs on the windshield.
    Hey, that sounds like a great test! I`ll be looking forward to hearing how the stuff works against the bugs and how it holds up to the cleaning I suspect you`ll still have to do.

Post Thanks / Like

It is 5/13/2020 have been in multiple rains, and through many hand wash jobs, and the glass still beads great !!!!!!! Am impressed !!!!!!!!!!
    Likes Stokdgs, GearHead_1, Tc99m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Risky Bizness- Ah, that`s great! Thanks for posting back about how well it`s holding up.

Post Thanks / Like

I have every intention of re-polishing my glass on all 3 trucks tomorrow. ( 10-31-2021) The glass polish has held up well !!

2 of our trucks are garaged, and the poor Sport Track for now is stuck outside. Just poured a garage floor for the ST yesterday. Will hopefully have the whole new garage enclosed and poured by mid summer. One part is 14`X22`, the other side is 18`X32`. The last building that I listed has 17`-6" ceiling. Damn materials went crazy with my savings !!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information