Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight protection

Setec Astronomy- Ah, I appreciate your efforts

Well, at least I didn`t somehow hallucinate the whole thing! But I do vaguely recall the actual Ford TSB (had forgotten/not known of the Chrysler/Mistu angle).

Post Thanks / Like

So OCW is the Optimum Car Wax? Their spray wax in the blue bottle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    But I do vaguely recall the actual Ford TSB (had forgotten/not known of the Chrysler/Mistu angle).
    I only remember the ABC TSB, FWIW...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Astouffer512 View Post
    So OCW is the Optimum Car Wax? Their spray wax in the blue bottle?
    Yes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I only remember the ABC TSB, FWIW...lol...
    I get most of the Ford TSBs/info from [a certain member here], and thoroughly appreciate them. But I`m pretty sure he didn`t send me the ones related to this. Aw man, I can *almost* picture the panels in the test...

Post Thanks / Like

I get most of the Ford TSBs/info from [a certain member here], and thoroughly appreciate them. But I`m pretty sure he didn`t send me the ones related to this. Aw man, I can *almost* picture the panels in the test...

does anyone recall what year plus maybe a model for that TSB? That would ho a long way in helping me look it up .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    does anyone recall...
    No idea at all

Post Thanks / Like

I only remember the ABC TSB, FWIW...lol

Yes.
    Ok I figured. Still learning all the code names. I looked it up and I do believe it would be worth buying....but at the same time I also already have TW Ice spray wax....will this be a good choice to use on headlights?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I figured. Still learning all the code names. I looked it up and I do believe it would be worth buying....but at the same time I also already have TW Ice spray wax....will this be a good choice to use on headlights?
    For me, the make/break Q would be whether the TW provides UV protection.

I do think the OCW is worth trying, though it`s easy for me to spend your money for you I *NEVER* thought I`d keep using it on the A8, but it`s been years now and I`m still doing it. That car went through *terrible* winter weather last night, but today, with all the snow melted off, it looks amazingly OK..that stuff is doing its job and I haven`t even washed the car for weeks, let alone refreshed the OCW (last applied back in early Dec.).

Post Thanks / Like

Good idea (though I wouldn`t go there if you payed me by the minute ), maybe you`ll find something documenting the UV Protection too.
    I did read through some of the documentation regarding the UV protection, through the patent papers on the product. I didn`t finish it, though. Of course, one needs to mention that the documentation relating to the UV protection was from OPT themselves, and I`m not sure there was independent testing with it.

I wish one of the great Product Testers here would do something on UV Protection, see what (besides OCW) really works.
    I`m not one of the Great Product Testers here, but I had considered doing some testing with the products below. I was going to test for "sun damage" protection, as well as bird poop protection. The testing seemed too involved for my liking, my wife likely wouldn`t be on board with it and these products have been passed up in favor of the newest flavors. So I ditched the idea.

Post Thanks / Like

JustJesus- IF you find some surface that`s prone to rapid UV-related degradation it might make for an easy test...and [she whose name I cannot pronounce] wouldn`t even know you were doing any testing, not that I`m advocating doing anything behind her back

Post Thanks / Like

But IME OCW provides very limited protection against etching. Nothing at all like FK1000P or even other LSPs that I consider marginal.

Post Thanks / Like

For new/newly polished headlights, I 10/10 would recommend cutting some clear tint from a tint shop (I order 3M off amazon) and apply it.
    Takes a beating unmatched by any coating.
    If you take the time to tuck the edges and make sure they adhere properly with a heatgun, it will last 5-10 years with regular visits to the touchless car wash/winters of Toronto.

Post Thanks / Like

Prep them the way you would paint, and apply whatever you are applying to the paint. I don`t give much credence to the headlight-specific sealants being much different than anything else...because you want the same UV protection on paint. Applying a coating to the headlights may be of some value, in the same way that it is of some value on paint...not sure that anyone can really say for sure because of the time frames involved...maybe someone will coat one headlight and not the other and in 5 or 10 years we might have an answer.

But putting wax or sealant on can`t hurt. Optimum Car Wax has some specific UV absorbers that I don`t think have ever been proven to make any difference (for you guys that want to argue about the patent, as I recall the patent was not on any performance of the absorber, it was for keeping it suspended in the solution). But they can`t hurt.
    When you say prep as if prepping paint. Would 3D one be a good polish for non yellowed/ oxidized headlights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

When you say prep as if prepping paint. Would 3D one be a good polish for non yellowed/ oxidized headlights?
    I wouldn`t even use *that* unless you had a good reason to want a bit of abrasion. I`d use one of the (presumably..who really knows sometimes?!?) non-abrasive ones like KAIO or some really gentle Paint Cleaner.

If you`re applying a PPF/etc. to (nearly) new ones, you could probably even skip that and just wash `em really well with whatever you`d use on perfect paint before applying a Coating.

Post Thanks / Like

JustJesus- IF you find some surface that`s prone to rapid UV-related degradation it might make for an easy test...and [she whose name I cannot pronounce] wouldn`t even know you were doing any testing, not that I`m advocating doing anything behind her back
    I`ll figure something out so that I can do some testing without getting me in trouble with [she whose name I don`t even say]. No surface I can think of that`s prone to rapid degradation, but I`ll come up with something, even if it takes "a little longer" than we would like.

But IME OCW provides very limited protection against etching. Nothing at all like FK1000P or even other LSPs that I consider marginal.
    I believe that`s been my experience as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information