Post Thanks / Like

Question Difference in clay bars

I recently bought a GRIOT`s clay bar for glass.

I have clay bars for detailing the vehicles that I have prior to polishing etc.

Is there a "difference" between the 2 clay bars??

I am going to use the GRIOT`s polish and sealant today on the glass, and was curious.

Thanx,

Risky Bizness

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Difference in clay bars

Sure, there`s differences. If you read the old patents there`s a lot of possible variations noted, with different ingredients to achieve different ends.

In the specific instance you cite, I would guess the glass clay would have some more aggressive abrasives in it. But there`s probably not a huge difference.

Post Thanks / Like

O.K., thanx

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve seen huge differences, especially in terms of tacky-ness and the general feel of the product. My favorite is McKees, and not by a little bit, a lotta bit. So easy to store and keep “nice”, holds up to my boiling hot garage in summer, and just glides beautifully. Sonus is another fave.
    Griots clay is tacky, but it works well, and I can get it “at the store” in 15 minutes. But as far as “feel” and ease of use, Griots is near middle toward bottom of my list.
    i have also found a good cheap one off Amazon, works and feels nice, but is red, which is too dark for my liking.
    Awful clays I’ve tried are 3M and any of the cheap blue bars from China off eBay, and Mother’s (the one at the store in the box with QD).
    Likes Scrapyard liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    I’ve seen huge differences...
    Maybe I misunderstood the OP`s question, but I was saying that there isn`t much difference between a glass clay and other clays...not that there aren`t differences between clays, without even getting into the "elastic" vs...whatever they called the Clay Magic vs. the Erazer/Ricardo clay. But full disclosure I have never used any glass-specific clay, it`s just my skeptical nature that leads me to believe the main purpose of that is to get you to buy 2 kinds of clay instead of one, not that it couldn`t have ingredients that make it more effective on glass, as I previously noted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    I’ve seen huge differences..
    Same here, and some "oughta be OK" clays were horribly abrasive.

.... My favorite is McKees, and not by a little bit, a lotta bit. So easy to store and keep “nice”, holds up to my boiling hot garage in summer, and just glides beautifully. Sonus is another fave...
    How does the McKees compare to the Sonus SFX? While the latter has been my go-to for ages, the last reformulation changed it in ways that I *really* dislike and I might end up trying something else. But that something has to be gentle enough to merely "clay the LSP clean" without stripping it (as the Sonus generally does..."generally" qualifier being necessary since that reformulation).

Griots clay is tacky, but it works well.. But as far as “feel” and ease of use, Griots is near middle toward bottom of my list...Awful clays I’ve tried ..[include].. Mother’s (the one at the store in the box with QD).
    Griot`s has reformulated theirs at least twice that I know of, and/but the last time I tried it and the Mothers there were indistinguishable, absolutely the same as best I could tell...so your somewhat differing takes on the two make me wonder which (or both?) has changed.

Risky Bizness- I haven`t tried any Glass Clay (nor Wheel Clay), but also suspect that such Clays are more aggressive than ones made for decontaminating paint. I`d sure hate to guess wrong and have to correct a previously-OK car because I used the wrong clay!

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

RiskyBizness - Welcome to the Forum !

I went to the Griot`s website and read up on this product and all the reviews.. It has received many great reviews about it.

I have not used this particular claybar before, but in the past have used my other claybars on glass and they always made the glass smoother..

There have always been "aggressive" and "mild" claybars; so perhaps this Griot`s product is on the more "aggressive" side, because glass is so very hard, and not easily scratched as paintwork is..
    Dan F
    Likes Scrapyard liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I just finished the Pano roof, 4 door glasses, rear glass, and windshield. I don`t know if there was/is alot of difference between the 2 different clay bars.

I "DO" know it was kinda time consuming, but I have to say the glass is clear !!!

Will see how long it lasts !!

Post Thanks / Like

Risky Bizness- Noting that you`ve posted that you`re doing new vehicles (man, I simply *LOVED* my job in New Car Prep!), are you familiar with the "ABC" Decontamination System from ValuGard/Automotive International? That, and their New Car Prep, are specifically *made for this* and they`re both safe and effective. When all the major automakers test/approve/recommend/use the stuff, well...that`s a clue

Post Thanks / Like

No, I am not. But, I will look it up. Like I said, I`m learning.

(I have a 20` F/S boat with oxidized stripes to get plenty of practice on too).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Risky Bizness View Post
    ... Like I said, I`m learning..
    Well, IMO you`ve come to the right place If you can name a Detailing challenge, you can bet somebody here has dealt with it.

Thread Information