Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: G9 Cord Question

I think one reason this thread has amassed this many posts is due to the seeming fact that the original poster didn`t start this thread with any axes to grind with Griots.

That there were genuine issues, and sought help. Although I own 2 Griots Polishers, Boss-15 and GG3, I still do not consider myself any Griots Garage authority to really give much in the way of advice of how to deal with them.

Only once did I ever speak with GG about 3 or so years ago, and was in pertinence to the brand new GG3 Polisher I bought, and was about the possibility of buying a pair of replacement brushes for it.

At that time, they told me no, they did not carry or sell replacement Brushes for the GG3. That was a disappointment.

Although I bought the machine at a very good price from an ebay seller, Griots did assure me at that time though, that no bill of sale was required for a lifetime exchange, they would honor this warrantee, so in this aspect, this was good.

This apparently brand new machine I bought began to fail after only about a 1/2 hour worth of use.
    Became noisy, and was seeming to run pretty rough, a notable difference from when the machine was initially operated.

Feeling such was about as simple as opening up a hand held hair dryer, I decided to investigate and operate.
    What I found was both Brushes cracked in half. I had the replacement Brushes that came with the Polisher, installed them and re-assembled, re-greased and all seemed well then.

It appeared to me that upon assembly, the Brushes were not properly installed into their receptacles, were both cocked, and it was a bit tricky when I installed the new set, in keeping them properly in their positions when buttoning the unit back up. I then used a couple small strips of Electrical Tape to help retain them in place, and that did the trick.

To get onto what I`m ultimately trying to get at, the many different manufacturers have different policies, length of warrantees, etc.

While some will be 100% correct to say nobody in the business has a warrantee like Griots, it also appears that there is basically no chance of the acquisition of internal parts for their Polishers, such as there are for companies like Porter Cable, or Flex.

It is a convenience on one hand, that no owner should have to do a self repair to their machines, or pay for repairs.
    I know little about Griots, but assume once a faulty machine is returned, it goes straight to the trash can. There is no attempted repair and return of the same Tool unless it might be something very simple, like these detachable cords now in use on their two most recent Polishers.

One has to then decide which they prefer I guess?

Sorry to again blabber, but these are some thoughts I`ve had over the past few years.
    Likes KBsToy, Coatings=crack, bad penny, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks KBsToy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

MarkD- Your experience with your GG3 dying so fast reminds me of mine! Just curious..was that the v1.0 or the later model (if you know..understand completely if you don`t).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    MarkD- Your experience with your GG3 dying so fast reminds me of mine! Just curious..was that the v1.0 or the later model (if you know..understand completely if you don`t).
    Honestly I don`t know? LOL I`ll guess and maybe say mine is the v-1.0 version. Do you know what the differences were?

I think I might again contact Griots and again ask about the GG3 brushes? Now that`s got me wondering if there were different design brushes if there were actually two different models made?

PS: I did just contact Griots Garage. They did indeed have the replacement Brushes for the GG3, only one part #, so assume they are the ones. I ordered 2 sets, $5 per Set, and $5 to ship.

I like my little GG3, have no intention of trading up if I can help it, thus figure having a couple sets of these on hand will help insure it holds up for a good while.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

MarkD- I don`t know just how to tell the different generations apart, but I bet you have the v2.0 if replacement brushes are available. AND..because you like it! Mine is so close to worthless that I honestly can`t imagine anybody being satisfied with the thing. Zero comparison with the GG 3" *pneumatic*, and that`s no powerhouse either. The v1.0 wasn`t on the market for long before they quit supporting it (their "one replacement per customer" still sticks in my craw) and came out with the current model.

Post Thanks / Like

I finally got this thing sent back today. I decided I would like to try another unit to see if this last unit was a one-time dud or if the next one will also be junk.
    While I had free shipping this time, I decided to test their warranty further by including a couple of 16oz bottles of product that were both 3/4 full and have been taking up shelf space for a decade because "I wasn`t happy with them". The 25` detachable (junk) cord that I received with my last model, well I returned that for credit too.

If this works I`ll have a new machine AND a $100 store credit

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Thanks for the chuckle.

I`m glad I didn`t go out and buy one, or trade in my trusty GG6. I`ll hold off and keep using my Flex 3401, though.

Between some of the issues I`m reading about the G9, and the car wash soap in the other thread, I really do hope Griot`s takes care of things.

I`m hesitant (again) on getting any new things from Griot`s. It took some time for me to get Griot`s stuff and have enjoyed what I have, even the little GG3 unit which I really do like!
    I can`t find a real use for my gen 1 gg3. It has been riding in my trunk for 5+years now with Zero Action. I`m going to start using it in some fashion on every job in hopes of will give out so I can get a gg8 for free

Post Thanks / Like

of=it ^

My typos are part human error, part fire tablet

Post Thanks / Like

I did receive my Brushes for the GG3, but I`m unsure these are the right ones? I don`t have the machine here on hand at the moment to find out if they are indeed the correct ones?

These that I have gotten are super tiny.

I believe I kept the old brushes, so there shouldn`t be a need to open up the machine to compare.

They sent them in a large Envelope, and also included a Catalog. I did note there is just a small picture and advertisement of the G15/G21 Polishers, saying to call or go to their website for pricing.
    Likes bad penny liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

15mm $224.00, 21mm $244.00 on Griots page ?

MaxShine Pro M15 $199.00 ?

Thinking
    Just afraid of any new griots polishers coming out....
    There’s a place in the brain for knowing what cannot be remembered.
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KBsToy View Post
    ...Thinking ...
    Just afraid of any new griots polishers coming out....
    IMO if you *like* what you can buy now, subsequent releases don`t really (need to) matter. Sounds like you just might be experiencing, uhm...What`s it called..."Fear of Missing Out".

IMO if you *need* a polisher you don`t need to wait since there are good units on the market now; if you *don`t need* one, then sure, wait and see what the Next Newest Thing turns out like.
    Likes KBsToy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

bad penny- I`m watching your Griot`s experience with great interest for all sorts of reasons

For one thing, I want to see if they put you on a [crap]-List the way they did with me after my Big Return (hope not..).

It sounds like you`re thinking of trading the GG3 back to them if/when it dies...I dunno whether they`ll go for that rather than just sending another GG3. When you use it, be especially careful about quantity of product since it can really *sling* if you`re not careful (more so than bigger units, at least IME).

I`m also curious about the products you sent back, wondering what they`ll do there.

And IMO you`re being a really good sport to go ahead and try out another G9! I sure hope that *this* one works fine with no headaches.

Did you order another 25` cord (since you sent that one back)?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bad penny View Post
    I finally got this thing sent back today. I decided I would like to try another unit to see if this last unit was a one-time dud or if the next one will also be junk.
    While I had free shipping this time, I decided to test their warranty further by including a couple of 16oz bottles of product that were both 3/4 full and have been taking up shelf space for a decade because "I wasn`t happy with them". The 25` detachable (junk) cord that I received with my last model, well I returned that for credit too.

If this works I`ll have a new machine AND a $100 store credit
    Hope this all works out for you.

Browsing their Catalog they sent, they do have a lot of neat stuff for automotive fans. Tools, stools, goodies for the garage, even lights, brushes, their PFM Drying Towels are fantastic, suspect the other PFM`s are as well. Rarely if ever have I read displeasure with their Polishes, Pads.

Do keep us posted.

Post Thanks / Like

01/25/2020 Update:

My new machine has arrived and it looks like I received a $75 credit. The new machine`s cord is night and day difference then the previous unit. Here`s hoping for the best.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    bad penny- I`m watching your Griot`s experience with great interest for all sorts of reasons

For one thing, I want to see if they put you on a [crap]-List the way they did with me after my Big Return (hope not..).

It sounds like you`re thinking of trading the GG3 back to them if/when it dies...I dunno whether they`ll go for that rather than just sending another GG3. When you use it, be especially careful about quantity of product since it can really *sling* if you`re not careful (more so than bigger units, at least IME).

I`m also curious about the products you sent back, wondering what they`ll do there.

And IMO you`re being a really good sport to go ahead and try out another G9! I sure hope that *this* one works fine with no headaches.

Did you order another 25` cord (since you sent that one back)?
    I have a half dozen 50` extension cords, so there`s no need for that additional 25` (especially when I can get $30 for it).

Yep. They took back those 10+ year old bottles of product. I expected they would but was ready to raise hell if they didn`t.

I wasn`t aware the gg3 was still in production? I assumed when it plays out they`ll send the gg8??
    Earlier I said I was going to start using the gg3 daily in hopes I can wear it out but honesty it performs so poorly I don`t have time for that.
    My thinking now is to send it back requesting store credit then use the credit to purchase the gg8 for basically the same price.

When I first learned of their lifetime warranty I knew they would regret making me that offer just like the little Chinese woman at the all you can eat Buffett down the street from me.
    If they want to put me on a "bad list" oh well. All I`ve done is take advantage of what was legitimately offered to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Soooo nothings wrong with your gg3 and you wand credit? Its a lifetime warranty not a lifetime satisfaction guarantee.... thats 160 days....

If someone gets a full detail but not happy with it. Do they get their money back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread Information