Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: G9 Cord Question

Where is the company representative? Do they not get notifications when someone posts to their sub-forum?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bad penny View Post
    It doesn`t read that way though.
    They should amend their warranty if that`s the way they intended it to read.

This machine has been a problem since day 1 and now it`s broken. I have no confidence the next machine will be any better and I don`t want to have to spend $34 in shipping fees every time it breaks.
    Call me crazy but sure sounds like this falls under "if you don`t like for any reason"
    Wow man, we`re really going in circles here.

Their guarantee: Everything you purchase from us comes with a lifetime guarantee against defect. We want you to enjoy our quality product for 180 days and have fun with it! If you don`t like it for any reason during this time, return it for a full refund or credit. After that, you`re covered with our lifetime guarantee against defect, in which we will either repair it, replace it, or credit your purchase price if we are able to do neither. Some items have a life span during normal use and they wear out. Our warranty does not include replacement of such items after normal use. Of course our guarantee doesn`t cover abuse... But you already knew that.

Starting at the top -
    They`re offering a lifetime guarantee against DEFECT. Not a lifetime return policy.

They give you 180 days to try it and see if you like it. If you don`t like it in that 180 days, you can get your money back or get a credit. If you don`t take advantage of that, you fall under: AFTER THAT

After that, you`re covered against defects. Your original polisher had some sort of defect, so they held up their end of the bargain - since they weren`t going to repair it, they provided you a replacement that is their current equivalent of what you purchased 10 years ago. By their declaration, they will credit your purchase price if they can`t fix what you had or send you something to replace it. (Again, the G9 is their current replacement for the old GG6`s, so there ya go).

Just because you`ve had the replacement for the polisher you purchased years ago for less than 180 days, by common logic (and I don`t think I`m stretching my reading of their policy,) you still fall under "After that".

Yes, it sucks you`re having problems with your polisher. Based on your review from when it was working:

Now that the cord issue is solved the machine seems pretty decent. Very well balanced and more power then ever needed. I`m digging the trigger vs the old style on/off switch. I also like how you can set the machine upside down when not in use. Surprised no one else has done this.

Definitely harder then I would expect to insert the cord. I`m not sure if it will wear-in or break. Fortunately it comes with the lifetime warranty.

It seems like you did like the machine and it would be worth it to you to just get another machine from Griot`s (fortunately the lifetime warranty and all). Especially since you have 6 other polishers to get you by.

About halfway through a car the machine started pulsating and then suddenly quit all together. I thought I had knocked the cord loose but that wasn`t the case. If you "pump" the trigger long enough it temporarily kicks back on.
    They quit supplying replacement brushes so I couldn`t even try that. Dead in the water is where I was. Thank God I keep 6+ other polishers in my trunk!!
    Check the mesh bag that came with your G9. Anywhere you look it shows the G9 comes with a replacement set of brushes in the box.

Talked with customer service today. Indeed they did have a problem with the 10` cords initially but that was suppose to be cleared up.
    Supposedly they`ve never heard of anyone having problems with the 25` cord until now.
    I was told that I would be receiving a prepaid mailing label within 48 hours.
    You mention worrying about having to spend $34 dollars to ship the machine each time, but say that they send you a prepaid mailing label. This has been my experience with them in the past. (I bought early run of their BOSS foaming cannon, which they revamped to provide better foam on smaller pressure washers - I had no actual complaints with my cannon, but they offered to swap it out at no cost since I asked about it; also when my original 1st gen polisher had a very minor issue they sent me a label to return it - they then sent me a 3rd gen GG6 which was their current offering of the time).

In the end, again I`m bummed for your sake you`re having a bad string of luck on this deal. But, I feel you`re reading their policy wanting it to give you what you want. Devils advocate, it`s pretty generous of them to have such a warranty on an electrical tool that they can only imagine what sort of life it`s been through (undersized power cords, weather conditions, etc). It`s safe to say an electrical tool could fall under the category of "Some items have a lifespan during normal use and they wear out.". What kind of love would you get from Rupes or Flex after 3+ years? And those tools cost more than the Griot`s tool in question here.

Personal example - I fix cars by trade. I had bought a Snap On 3/8" impact (for 4x the price of a GG6). 2 months before it`s warranty was up, I had to send it in for repair because it was clearly down on power. Fast forward that exact time frame again, (but now out of warranty), same issue comes up. It wore out during use. No love from Snap On on fixing it again (would have had to pay repair cost out of pocket), and not much love for trading it in on the next impact.

Instead of getting another Snap On, I bought a Milwaukee with a 5 year warranty. If I had to get this one warrantied, and had problems in the 5 year window with the replacement, I wouldn`t go complain on a forum on Carmechanicopia.com, I`d contact them directly (via phone as there`s no delay in communication that way).

Sorry if I`m coming off as salty here, but you`re saying stuff that just doesn`t line up.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post

Wow man, we`re really going in circles here.

They give you 180 days to try it and see if you like it. If you don`t like it in that 180 days, you can get your money back or get a credit. If you don`t take advantage of that, you fall under: AFTER THAT

Sorry if I`m coming off as salty here, but you`re saying stuff that just doesn`t line up.

First you don`t have to apologize to me but thank you.
    I appreciate your point of view but from my vantage point this I see this different.
    My original griots was a beast. I ran that machine just about everyday for many years. I expect if there is a replacement that it would be built even better. My feelings are that it isnt and I am safely in the 180 window of "loving their machine". If they can`t return my old unit (rebuilt) then I should get my money back is the way I see it.
    None of their other products do I use so a store credit doesn`t help.

Post Thanks / Like

I bet this thing is going to be a nightmare for resellers

Post Thanks / Like

I think oneheadlight explained it as well as can be. We know you are disappointed with your options, but what he said makes sense to me.

Keep in mind you`re not up a creek without a paddle, you still have two options available to you.

1, another G-9 machine immediately, or 2, store credit, which I assume is for the purchase amount of a G9, or other product(s) of equal value.

IMO, what I see is a tool, that in its infancy with this new manufacturer, has bugs that need working out. I`d assume Griots is working hard to alleviate and correct any and all issues.

I myself, if it were me, I might be inclined to take Griots Garage up on their store credit. Of what time frame allowed for this option, I would assume indefinite, but please don`t quote me on this.

Since you have other tools to get by for now, I`d maybe hang tight, sleep on such, maybe wait a few months longer or so to try another G-9, or purchase other items with your store credit.

Hope this helps.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Where is the company representative? Do they not get notifications when someone posts to their sub-forum?
    Never seen a Griots presence. This is an Autopia forum. Only ever really seen a rupes and Mckees rep pop up from time to time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Where does it say that?

“Everything from Griots comes with lifetime warrantee against defects”.

“We want you to enjoy our quality product for 180 days and have fun with it! If you don`t like it for any reason during this time, return it for a full refund or credit. After that, you`re covered with our lifetime guarantee against defect, in which we will either repair it, replace it, or credit your purchase price if we are able to do neither”

Want you to enjoy for 180 days. You’ve had your gg6 for what 5-9 years? To have a product for that long 98% of companies would of been done with you and you wouldve bought a new polisher.

The exchanged it.... you werent happy they offered you a store credit.... to get anything from Griots. Where else would give you wven that option. You want your money back when you got more than your moneys worth from your gg6.

To me , and again my view point, it’s like taking your christmas tree back to Costco January 4th because its dying. You’ve gotten your use out of it.

I understand your not happy with g9 but i personally think griots is being more than gracious with store credit for as long as you’ve had had the original.

In fact if you were having warranty problems with ALL other poilishers after this amount of time this thread would be dead and you woulda had to buy a new polisher.....

Just my thoughts but i do really hope it works out for you and your get satisfactory end results.

Likes Stokdgs, GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I mean no offense with this comment but in all honesty I don’t get it. This conversation is going on a couple of pages now basically addressing how one interprets a warranty. Do people really buy a piece of electrical equipment and believe that a one time purchase means you have a working polisher for life? That would be renting the tool and not buying it, renting a tool for the same period of time would cost several multiples of what buying the same tool would cost. I think there is a huge difference between earning a lifetime customer and from that statement, extrapolating or interpreting that to mean that an electrical tool will last and be warrantied for a lifetime. Just sayin..

It’s part of life, can’t stop rust, days pass by and electrical equipment wears out. Parts wearing out isn’t what is included in the warranty. From everything thing I’ve read there have been no known across the board defects with the GG6. Wear and tear, all which should be expected is not a manufacturers defect. Griot’s apparently warrantied the OP’s GG6 in this case as a customer satisfaction warranty. The way I understand it that’s going above and beyond the warranty for the GG6 and I think that’s big of them. Should Griot’s have told the OP to pound sand at that point we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

Now having said all this I personally have a Black and Decker drill and a Skill Saw that were my father’s, both manufactured in the 70’s that run to this day. I’m sure Accumulator could tell you much the same about a well used Cyclo or two. It happens but these are exceptions to the rule. I understand the part about getting a sour taste in your mouth and not wanting to own a G9 again, I really do but you may have just received a lemon. Have them replace it, get the credit, find something else you can use or find something on their site and sell it and move on. If you can’t see yourself doing this, send it my way. Anyway... life is good.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I bought my first polisher from the Griots rep in Portland in June of 2015, GG3. Bought the GG6 in Sept 15. By then I was hooked on detailing. Bought the G-15 when it first came out. A year after buying the G-15 I had an issue with the unit and because I live with a 2 hr. drive from the Griots store in Tacoma I took the G-15 to their store and they inspected the machine, decided there was a problem, cut the cord off and gave me a new G-15...no questions. I bought the G9 as soon as their buy back program came out and have done 6 cars with the G9 with no issues. I bought the G8 on their buy back program and have used it on 2 of the last 6 cars with no issues. The nice feature is I can use just use one cord and when I need the G9 is just unplug the G8 and plug in the G9. Both the new machines work flawlessly. I don`t use all of Griots products but I have just completed 140 vehicles and 1 RV and I can rely on Griots products without hesitation.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    This conversation is going on a couple of pages now basically addressing how one interprets a warranty.
    I know! Can`t understand why y`all can`t see this my way. Let me try this:

It costs $34 to ship back n forth (plus the hassle and down time). The guy didn`t want to give me free shipping (after only 2 weeks of use) but finally agreed to that. If I hadn`t raised cane he would have had me pay shipping again. I would have had $68 tied up in shipping (nearly half the value of the unit ~ the entire cost of similar harbor freight unit + 2 year warranty and the store is 3 miles away.) at that point. From a business standpoint you have to start weighing "is this worth it". Especially considering the luck that I have had with this improved model. I have no confidence the next unit will perform any better and the shipping is eating my lunch if I have spend $34 every 2 weeks ...

Quote Originally Posted by jsurf47 View Post
    I bought my first polisher from the Griots rep in Portland in June of 2015, GG3. Bought the GG6 in Sept 15. By then I was hooked on detailing. Bought the G-15 when it first came out. A year after buying the G-15 I had an issue with the unit and because I live with a 2 hr. drive from the Griots store in Tacoma I took the G-15 to their store and they inspected the machine, decided there was a problem, cut the cord off and gave me a new G-15...no questions. I bought the G9 as soon as their buy back program came out and have done 6 cars with the G9 with no issues. I bought the G8 on their buy back program and have used it on 2 of the last 6 cars with no issues. The nice feature is I can use just use one cord and when I need the G9 is just unplug the G8 and plug in the G9. Both the new machines work flawlessly. I don`t use all of Griots products but I have just completed 140 vehicles and 1 RV and I can rely on Griots products without hesitation.
    or

I was a big fan for many years. Suggested to many people to purchase the gg6 over the years. Had this new model performed like my previous I would still be there.

You polished 140 cars and a rv (or 6) with this new unit?

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    I’ve heard griots went away from Max Shine building their polishers. Wonder who new manufacturer is. If you were thinking g9 maybe get a g15 their clearing out. These older versions seem to be built like tanks and at $224 their a steal.

Why spend $224 when you can buy a maxshine for $90?

Post Thanks / Like

Why spend $224 when you can buy a maxshine for $90?
    Because its made with better parts runs smoother and is quieter and has a life time REPLACEMENT warranty.

Know a guy on this forum who got his gg6 swapped out over 5 years later.... hell if a warranty...

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll assume the $34 charge was for the return of your faulty (or trade in) GG6, correct? (Or was it a combo of both the shipping return, and shipping charges incurred when they sent you the new G-9?)

With that being said, then what I`ll wonder and would perhaps ask, "is at what point in time will Griots "not" pick up the tab for the return shipping of a faulty unit?" That seems unclear, and there should be some standardization of process where it isn`t "some people succeeding at a return at $0 cost, and others having to pay on their own dime."

If Griots erred on a charge that shouldn`t have occured, then I feel there should be some additional credit compensation due.

This is something I`d like clarification on myself, since I myself do own two Griots Polishers, a Boss-15 and a GG3.

I`m sorry if this thread, my comments and others might be feeling like a continual poking, and fanning flames with personal disappointment in this matter.

I think if it were me in this situation, I`d have to tend to agree with the overall tainted feel with a Griots tool at this point in time, that I would probably not reconsider the acceptance of yet another G9, I`d take the store credit, and buy other things that you might need such as Pads, Chemicals, or perhaps other accessories with that store credit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
    I`ll assume the $34 charge was for the return of your faulty (or trade in) GG6, correct? (Or was it a combo of both the shipping return, and shipping charges incurred when they sent you the new G-9?)

With that being said, then what I`ll wonder and would perhaps ask, "is at what point in time will Griots "not" pick up the tab for the return shipping of a faulty unit?" That seems unclear, and there should be some standardization of process where it isn`t "some people succeeding at a return at $0 cost, and others having to pay on their own dime."

If Griots erred on a charge that shouldn`t have occured, then I feel there should be some additional credit compensation due.

This is something I`d like clarification on myself, since I myself do own two Griots Polishers, a Boss-15 and a GG3.

I`m sorry if this thread, my comments and others might be feeling like a continual poking, and fanning flames with personal disappointment in this matter.

I think if it were me in this situation, I`d have to tend to agree with the overall tainted feel with a Griots tool at this point in time, that I would probably not reconsider the acceptance of yet another G9, I`d take the store credit, and buy other things that you might need such as Pads, Chemicals, or perhaps other accessories with that store credit.
    Dont feel bad. Don’t apologize. This is what forums are for creating healthy discussions and hopefully learning or obtaining answers to your questions. Some times text can be read many different ways by many different people but all in all i feel this thread is a healrhy discussion.

Everyone is giving feed back on how they view the situation which is being seen many different ways.

Put your thoughts out their and some will agree some won’t but maybe itll help someone down the road who reads this thread.

Lastly if someone takes something wrong a complete stranger on an internet forum said..... the need to rethink how this thing works.

Its not to make someone see your point of view.... impossible. its just to express your views and hopefully it affects another human in a positive way, but that’s for the reader to decide
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m guessing here, so don`t take this as gospel, but it might be official procedure by Griots Garage?

Buy a Polisher or tool covered by their lifetime warrantee, and within the 180 day period, if such fails, breaks, and not due to user neglect-damage, then your return will be covered with a shipping tag for free return.

You then have a choice of a replacement unit, full refund, or store credit.

But after that period of time, or let`s say a buyback-trade up situation, or a unit bought and/or is past that 180 time period, the customer then foots the return shipping fees. No full refund option.

Sound about right?
    Likes GearHead_1, Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

All sorts of aphorisms come to mind as this thread goes on..."caveat emptor", "life isn`t fair", "vote with your wallet and let the market decide".

Long-timers here have undoubtedly read about my, uhm...experience...with Griot`s Return Policy (including the Lifetime-that`s-not with regard to a v1.0 GG3) so it might come as a surprise that I`m still a GG supporter. But I am, but that`s just me. And I sometimes wonder whether they`re gonna just drop the whole Lifetime Warranty thing with regard to their Polishers. I can`t say that I`d blame them.

My view is that they oughta give a few people with terrible experiences (e.g., Bad Penny) new ones with profuse apologies for the trouble....*my* opinion is that the goodwill that`d generate would be worth it (unless these G9s are too problematic for them to open that door..hmmmm). But as always, it`s easy for me to spend somebody else`s money.

But whenever anybody offers a "Lifetime warranty" on anything, I`d sure take it with a shaker-full of salt. My Return Policy experiences with GG were big disappointments, but I wasn`t all that surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    .. forums are for creating healthy discussions and hopefully learning or obtaining answers to your questions.... Its not to make someone see your point of view.... impossible. its just to express your views and hopefully it affects another human in a positive way, but that’s for the reader to decide...
    I`m really glad to see somebody post that!

Even when actually arguing about stuff. "Argumentation" is supposed to be about finding the TRUTH of the matter, not convincing somebody that you`re right and he`s wrong. That seems to be easily forgotten these days.

And this sort of topic doesn`t really lend itself to a definitive final determination. Bad Penny has explained what happened with his polisher. Different people will interpret that differently and come to different conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack
    Never seen a Griots presence. This is an Autopia forum. Only ever really seen a rupes and Mckees rep pop up from time to time..
    That bugs me and I consider it a missed opportunity. We used to have [certain manufacturer`s reps] posting here regularly. While they kinda leaned towards "our stuff is the best" (no surprise) and usually acted like any issues were user-error (no surprise) and sometimes engaged in outright prevarication, at least there was a presence here.

Not that I`d wish More Exposure To The Internet on anybody, given how people often tend to behave online.
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread Information