Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: G9 Cord Question

Quote Originally Posted by quebert View Post

The rep`s slick rep working could just mean "every single part will be outsourced and made in China, but the units will still be built here in Germany"

So basically Flex`s are now going to be cheap Chinese knock off`s, but without the cheap Chinese knock off price?
    What my reliable source has told me is
    That only the motors are being made in chyna
    EVERYTHING else & assembly will still be in Germany---His exact words on the subject were
    "The new polishers will have motors that are made in chyna"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Huh, for *AGES* he was all about the Makita rotary for aggressive work...but that was before his current gig and I suspect he`s subject to, uhm...different factors..than most of us when it comes to equipment/product choices.
    Indeed. I`ve looked through many, many of his threads. Seen [crazy amount] of pictues and even video. yes, he was very much a rotary and wool pad user for a long time.

These days, I see him post more with the 3401, though not exclusively.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps now, he is only working on vehicles that do not require a lot of quick, heavy duty, rotary work as in the past ??
    So the Flex 3401-VRG will be adequate, and not add any bad things, so we have a match..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Talked with customer service today. Indeed they did have a problem with the 10` cords initially but that was suppose to be cleared up.
    Supposedly they`ve never heard of anyone having problems with the 25` cord until now.
    I was told that I would be receiving a prepaid mailing label within 48 hours.
    Likes Stokdgs, John U, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by re-tired View Post
    What my reliable source has told me is
    That only the motors are being made in chyna
    EVERYTHING else & assembly will still be in Germany---His exact words on the subject were
    "The new polishers will have motors that are made in chyna"
    As many of you who delt with manufacturing from China or anywhere for that matter know. You can specify the best or the worst, what are you willing to pay for? It’s up to you to have your own quality control in place or suffer accordingly. In the case of Flex, it’s coming from the mothership. I’m betting they are not looking to tarnish their name.
    I’ve placed my bet on the new 80 PXE and await it’s arrival from Autopia.
    Likes SWETM, JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Updated update!!

Before I boxed this unit up I figured I would give it 1 more shot.
    I pushed really hard and what do you know if snapped into place! I then tried the 25` cord and got the same results.
    I feel this will be an issue down the road, but for now I believe a apology of sorts is in order to griots garage.
    Likes Coatings=crack, John U liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If you had to push that hard it sounds like either a design flaw, or something they should make clear in the instructions. Sounds like maybe you thought you could break it pressing that hard? I myself wouldn`t want to force a cable into a new $150 tool. And since other people have complained about the cable too it sounds like it could be something they could address in a video. Perhaps after you`ve forced it in a dozen or 2 times it might become easier. Still sounds like a weird design.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    As many of you who delt with manufacturing from China or anywhere for that matter know. You can specify the best or the worst, what are you willing to pay for? It’s up to you to have your own quality control in place or suffer accordingly. In the case of Flex, it’s coming from the mothership. I’m betting they are not looking to tarnish their name.
    I’ve placed my bet on the new 80 PXE and await it’s arrival from Autopia.
    Totaly agree that all things from China is not crap. They can do quality products if they want to do so and have brands that`s paying for quality. But here`s where the people behind the desks comes to play and want to get it the cheapest possible cost. And still have a high retail price of their products. The big companies or the high quality ones knows that it costs to build and manufactures parts at a high quality. Usually it`s a little downgrade in the build and manufacturinghere and there that the desk people don`t see necessary to be doing. And all of the sudden you have a product with lower quality. There are those that buy up a quality brand and make the manufacturing dirt cheap. And when it`s starting to be noticeble they sell the company off again. Or they are just out for the designs from the company they are buying. This is very common now days with the China companies that want to export when they manufacturing their products. If it`s only going to be sold inside of China they just steals the designs from who ever they want basicly. But they have trouble to get it to be exported as there are so many rules and patents. So they have been needing to buy the whole company to get the rights to certain designs. They can be deciding to keep the company to manufactures and being sold as before. But usually they sells it internally and move the designs to the other company they wanted the designs for. This is something that`s being bigger and bigger that the chines companies aka the goverment buy into many different companies in different area of what they do all around the world. Many science based companies has a part owned by a chines company. In the longrun this will get them more power on the international politics and economics. You just see a small part how they stand up to Trumps economical war against them. How do you think it`s getting when a lot of other countries needs to be takeing economical actions against US. Or much of their basic functions in their country is partly or whole owned by a chines company/government and they threatern to close or degrade their investment to it if they don`t make it hard for the US companies. They are getting into the world market in a very fast pace. Huawei is an example and the development and build up of the 5G mobile network. They have a much lower cost and that`s what many countries can`t stand up to. When done and it`s fully build. What would make China to degrade the performance from it a lot if the country don`t do or stand up to what China wants. China don`t want any negativety spread out to the world. Even a little country as Sweden they are on about things they are not satisfied that the journalists has reported about. And want the Swedish government to silence the spread about 1 case with a prisoned swedish/chines book manager and puplisher. It`s crazy how they go full on with things sadly. And it`s just a start with many cases to come and many countries that has chines companies involved in their countries.
    So sorry if it`s gone political. But you have also many US companies that outsource the manufacturing to china. So a little relevant at least LOL.

GG will get the cords problems solved in the end. It takes some time with new manufacturing partners before all thing is set. Not many companies cares about this like GG.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quebert View Post
    If you had to push that hard it sounds like either a design flaw, or something they should make clear in the instructions. Sounds like maybe you thought you could break it pressing that hard? I myself wouldn`t want to force a cable into a new $150 tool. And since other people have complained about the cable too it sounds like it could be something they could address in a video. Perhaps after you`ve forced it in a dozen or 2 times it might become easier. Still sounds like a weird design.

Now that the cord issue is solved the machine seems pretty decent. Very well balanced and more power then ever needed. I`m digging the trigger vs the old style on/off switch. I also like how you can set the machine upside down when not in use. Surprised no one else has done this.

Definitely harder then I would expect to insert the cord. I`m not sure if it will wear-in or break. Fortunately it comes with the lifetime warranty.

Post Thanks / Like

bad penny- I`m really glad you were able to get the cord to lock into place! I agree with quebert that it sounds like something`s not quite right, but it sounds like you`re OK with it, and/but you`re being commendably magnanimous by saying that you feel an apology is in order.

If it gives you more trouble, I still hope they`ll pick up the shipping cost, but hey..it`s working for you and you obviously like it, so it sounds like another "all`s well that ends well"
    Likes bad penny liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My G9 also requires a snug push to get the cord to fully lock in place. Not a terrible nuisance, mine is probably not as bad as some others and some are probably easier than mine to lock in. I`m still really liking this polisher, I feel that difference in size and weight when switching up with the 15mm polishers. Maintains good rotation as well.
    WaxMode - Product Testing & Reviews
    Likes Stokdgs, bad penny liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    bad penny- I`m really glad you were able to get the cord to lock into place! I agree with quebert that it sounds like something`s not quite right, but it sounds like you`re OK with it, and/but you`re being commendably magnanimous by saying that you feel an apology is in order.

If it gives you more trouble, I still hope they`ll pick up the shipping cost, but hey..it`s working for you and you obviously like it, so it sounds like another "all`s well that ends well"
    I think if I sent it back I would get the same thing in return so no need in wasting resources.

One thing I won`t be doing is plugging and unplugging this machine a bunch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post
    My G9 also requires a snug push to get the cord to fully lock in place. Not a terrible nuisance, mine is probably not as bad as some others and some are probably easier than mine to lock in. I`m still really liking this polisher, I feel that difference in size and weight when switching up with the 15mm polishers. Maintains good rotation as well.
    It sure does have a lot of power. I started laughing when I moved the switch to 6. I`m curious to know what rpm that is.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bad penny View Post
    I think if I sent it back I would get the same thing in return so no need in wasting resources.

One thing I won`t be doing is plugging and unplugging this machine a bunch.
    Aw gee, I`d missed your earlier post saying how they sent you the mailing label Considering that, I dunno whether I`d send it back or not. But yeah, time/effort/hassle are valuable resources too so since you`re not planning to unplug it I kinda lean towards just keeping it too.

The way speed 6 seems so wild reminds me of the suggestion that they don`t really expect people to use `em at that speed (as per Mike lambert, who`s pretty dialed-in on Griot`s stuff). Sounds like you were doing fine at lower speeds anyhow.

Post Thanks / Like

*Update

After running the machine pretty hard for the past 2 weeks I am comfortable saying that without a doubt this machine is a big improvement over the gg6. The improvements that are most notable for me are Balance, Stalling and the Trigger feature.

The gg6 was always a hassle to turn on and off while operating with the switch. Made it feel like a amateur polisher, so big ups for adding the trigger. Makes it a lot easier to use and gives it a professional feel.
    The stalling on curved panels has all but been eliminated. I`m not sure if this has been fixed by adding power or the machine is just better balanced. The only way that I can make it stall is by applying a ridiculous amount of pressure.
    The biggest improvement for me is its ease of use which I attribute to being better Balanced. The gg6 unit after polishing a car would often leave me with wrist pain. The gg9 runs really smooth. I`ve polished multiple cars/suv`s over the past 2 weeks and haven`t once experienced wrist pain.

Still not a fan of the detachable cord but that`s easily fixed by leaving it attached.
    Likes Stokdgs, Coatings=crack, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, Diner thanked for this post

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread Information