Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: G9 Cord Question

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    I just picked up on the anti 3401 vibe during research recently on the Flex PXE. My experience is limited to the Porter Cable I used prior which stalled easily under load. What`s the next step in life after 3401?

Pe-8 & Pe-14 rotary polisher(s) by flex. Man, those tools are a dream to operate. They even sound cool. Hard to believe the same company makes the 3401
    Thanks John U thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bad penny View Post
    Pe-8 & Pe-14 rotary polisher(s) by flex. Man, those tools are a dream to operate. They even sound cool. Hard to believe the same company makes the 3401
    Hilarious. Keep in mind, the 3401 was around a bit longer than those other two. And of course, with 3401 you`re dealing with an offset balance and gear drive rings.

The "new" 3401 (I forget its name) is supposed to be lighter, smoother, and more quiet

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks John U thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I gather people who don`t like the Flex 3401 are unhappy with either the reverse-spin or the, uhm..."recoil" that comes with the forced rotation.

For a Non-Pro, I`d think that aggressive correction, the type where the Flex 3401 would be more efficient than [other RO/DA] will be such an infrequent occurrence that those traits wouldn`t be an issue, but eh...different people have different tolerances.

Man, I really oughta sell my rotaries to somebody who`ll actually use the things, seems terrible for them to just sit on the shelf...Gee, with the aggressive products/pads available today, I sure hope people who wield rotaries are using ETGs and accepting when to say "when".
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    On the sister site, Mike P still seems to use ..[the Flex 3401].. often...
    Huh, for *AGES* he was all about the Makita rotary for aggressive work...but that was before his current gig and I suspect he`s subject to, uhm...different factors..than most of us when it comes to equipment/product choices.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    Contact them directly.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/categor...-+guarantee.do

From their site:
    CUSTOMERS FOR LIFE - 100% GUARANTEEAt Griot`s Garage, we want you as a customer for life. Everything you purchase from us comes with a lifetime guarantee against defect. We want you to enjoy our quality product for 180 days and have fun with it! If you don`t like it for any reason during this time, return it for a full refund or credit. After that, you`re covered with our lifetime guarantee against defect, in which we will either repair it, replace it, or credit your purchase price if we are able to do neither. Some items have a life span during normal use and they wear out. Our warranty does not include replacement of such items after normal use. Of course our guarantee doesn`t cover abuse... But you already knew that.
    Customers for life. That`s our guarantee.”
    From Griots
    Hello Ken,Thank you for taking the time to email us here at Griot`s Garage. We are shipping the G9 and G8. If there are any issuewith any of our items – just give us a call and we will try to troubleshoot over the phone. As always we have 180 day money back guarantee and life time warranty against manufacture defect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Huh, for *AGES* he was all about the Makita rotary for aggressive work...but that was before his current gig and I suspect he`s subject to, uhm...different factors..than most of us when it comes to equipment/product choices.
    I believe he retired his Makita in favor of a Flex PE-14 rotary. I didn`t interpret it as bowing to corporate pressures, but who knows. I don`t know what he likes to use on those oxidized gelcoat boat hulls these days.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I believe he retired his Makita in favor of a Flex PE-14 rotary. I didn`t interpret it as bowing to corporate pressures, but who knows. I don`t know what he likes to use on those oxidized gelcoat boat hulls these days.
    I have one of the first Flex XC 3401-VRG machines purchased many,many, years ago. Even before they finally came out with the 5" backing plate, which I purchased, and this alone made it more easy to handle.
    Getting used to the counter-clockwise rotation was the only challenge but I got it just fine..

Purchased it to see if there was finally, something that would work better than my Makita 9227 Rotary, and after a few tries, the Flex could just not be leaned down on and still work like the Makita can, no matter how much you lean on it.. And then there`s the vibration that would put your hands to sleep after a few hours which I didn`t like either.. Makita = smooth as silk at any speed..

I also purchased the Flex PE 14-2 150 rotary and while it was pretty powerful, it was not as heavy, so I didn`t have the extra weight on the machine that I like to have handy, and it made a lot of gear noise, so it`s not as quiet as the Makita.. And lastly, the Flex rotary does not go to 3,000 which is the best speed to get all the water out of cleaned and rinsed pads quickly..

The only machines that last the longest on boat gelcoat grinding according to my best friend ultimate boat Detailer in the Pacific Northwest is the biggest Dewalt they make.. He has had a hand in consulting with Dewalt because he uses so many of their rotaries in his work, and even with all the things they implemented to help their machines work better, last longer, etc., they still do not last long before his Team wears them out..

And I have seen his work on black boats and the finish he gets with that big Dewalt is pretty much as good as the perfect finish I get on all Jet Black Bimmers..

Another reason why I will never Detail boats either.. It looks to me to be about as miserable as grinding on that nasty rock-hard urethane airplane paint, which I also will never do again..
    Happy New Year !
    Dan F
    Likes Loach liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Flex does the rotary in 3 versions with the 220v-240v ones. PE14-1 has another gears so you get more torque but less max rpm and is suited for boats and 7" backing plates. PE14-2 is the version you have also in the US but 220v-240v. PE14-3 has little less power and is recommended to use with a 5" backing plate and a higher rpm. Then Flex is huge when it comes to other powertools. They are mostly for proffessional use and also offered to them more so to say. It`s vacuums and grinders and many special work tools they have. They have a very high quality and are liked much cause of that. So polishers is not their biggest sellers actually and not a brand that`s only for detailing tools. But they are not alone with this as Makita and DeWalt and other has other powertools as well. Would be Rupes that`s geared for the powertools used in the automotive industry. They have sanders and polishers that`s pneumatic powered. Just some extra information about especially Flex that has very much more than just polishers.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard that the latest flex polishers have their motors (just the motor) outsourced & are made in china-- not germany

Post Thanks / Like

Stokdgs- Glad to see you posting If you ever kill off your 9227, please buy mine. I`d simply *LOVE* to have it (and/or the Metabo) in your oh-so-worthy hands.
    Likes Stokdgs, JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by re-tired View Post
    I have heard that the latest flex polishers have their motors (just the motor) outsourced & are made in china-- not germany
    If that`s true, the motors are probably made by the Chinese company that bought Flex some years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    If that`s true, the motors are probably made by the Chinese company that bought Flex some years ago.
    I am 99.9999999999% sure its true
    I got that from a VERY reliable source

Post Thanks / Like

Copied from another forum. Posted in Dec 2013.

"Chinese Leading Enterprise Embraces alliance with German Century Brand Industry field takes Chervon acquisition of Flex as Chinese leading power tool enterprise powerfully combining with German century brand.

Founded in 1922, Flex is the embodiment of a traditional German brand, providing professional tools for professionals and gaining a top reputation with the FLEX brand in Germany. Looking back at a successful history of 90 years, Flex has accumulated a wealth of knowledge and experience in product applications, product manufacturing capabilities, and the focus and dedication to quality has been taken as the core culture. All these are not only the same pursuit of quality of Chervon, but also provide more profound heritage and understanding to Chervon.
    Flex shall be used to enter a market segment which has so far been quite difficult for Chinese companies to conquer. This especially refers to products for experienced customers on developed markets such as Europe or North America. The seal of quality “Made in Germany” shall also convince customers who would normally refuse to buy products “Made in China”. With the brand Flex it will be much easier to gain a foothold in the market"

Mike Phillips posted this in 2013

"I talked to Bob Eichelberg again about this just yesterday, (December 19th, 2013), and he says he`s read this thread and told me to assure everyone that the Flex tools will continue to be built at the Flex plant in Germany to the same high standards that has set the standard for Flex`s reputation"

A lot can change 6 years later...........

Post Thanks / Like

Copied from another forum. Posted in Dec 2013.

"Chinese Leading Enterprise Embraces alliance with German Century Brand Industry field takes Chervon acquisition of Flex as Chinese leading power tool enterprise powerfully combining with German century brand.

Founded in 1922, Flex is the embodiment of a traditional German brand, providing professional tools for professionals and gaining a top reputation with the FLEX brand in Germany. Looking back at a successful history of 90 years, Flex has accumulated a wealth of knowledge and experience in product applications, product manufacturing capabilities, and the focus and dedication to quality has been taken as the core culture. All these are not only the same pursuit of quality of Chervon, but also provide more profound heritage and understanding to Chervon.
    Flex shall be used to enter a market segment which has so far been quite difficult for Chinese companies to conquer. This especially refers to products for experienced customers on developed markets such as Europe or North America. The seal of quality “Made in Germany” shall also convince customers who would normally refuse to buy products “Made in China”. With the brand Flex it will be much easier to gain a foothold in the market"

Mike Phillips posted this in 2013

"I talked to Bob Eichelberg again about this just yesterday, (December 19th, 2013), and he says he`s read this thread and told me to assure everyone that the Flex tools will continue to be built at the Flex plant in Germany to the same high standards that has set the standard for Flex`s reputation"

A lot can change 6 years later...........

The rep`s slick rep working could just mean "every single part will be outsourced and made in China, but the units will still be built here in Germany"

So basically Flex`s are now going to be cheap Chinese knock off`s, but without the cheap Chinese knock off price?

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Stokdgs- Glad to see you posting If you ever kill off your 9227, please buy mine. I`d simply *LOVE* to have it (and/or the Metabo) in your oh-so-worthy hands.
    Mi Hermano El Accumulator` !!!
    I hope you and yours had a great Christmas and are looking to a great New Year !

Am glad to be back on the BEST Forum ever-----

Heck, I will be more than happy to purchase your Makita Rotary !
    Tell me more sometime, about the Metabo, I can`t remember the story on that one..

You can never have enough Rotary Power in my Shop !

Shoot, I might even open up a Rotary Class for anyone who wants to learn..
    We could use their vehicle for the Course - Bonus !!!
    Dan F

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread Information