Post Thanks / Like

Adding to the arsenal - another “Help me spend my money” thread

So, I’m lucky enough to have gotten a gift certificate for Griot’s for Father’s Day, plus another one from their customer service dept (those folks really are the best; I suppose that’s for a different thread or PM me for the specifics if you care). I’ve basically got $100 to work with and I’m looking for input on spending it sanely.

The Cars: both Audis - one Phantom Black, one Oyster Grey. Both are due for full corrections, both have had paintwork done in spots and I haven’t had a chance to play with test spots to see how they behave.

The Current Inventory: I’m covered as far as car wash soap, rinseless wash options (both Griot’s and otherwise), clay lube, trim sealant, rubber cleaner, and LSP options. I’m sitting pretty well for towels for various uses. For paint correction, I have the BOSS Correcting Cream and Perfecting Cream.

What to get? So far, Stuff I’ve considered:
    Restock: More Iron and Fallout Remover (almost out of Iron X, partial bottle left of the Griot’s). A gallon of the Interior Detailer (love that stuff - Though: Just picked up a 22oz bottle of it, and I could always wait for another 25% off sale with PBMG to pick up a gallon that way).

New Stock: I’ve long been wondering if I should add the Fast Correcting Cream to my shelves just based on Audi’s hard paint reputation. Even if the aftermarket clear is softer, is it safe to assume this could help trim my time required for the correction process?

Another product I’ve debated is the BOSS Finishing Sealant. The idea being to just use this as a touch-up as needed to bring the cars back to perfect; it’s shorter lifespan countered by either topping with Liquid Gloss Poly wax (already on the shelf), or top ups with the Foaming Poly Gloss or any other post-wash topper. If I remember correctly, One of the guys on the AG forum tops their One Step Sealant (also on the shelf already) with Poly Net Sealant as one of his package offerings - I’d be curious to try this with the Finishing Sealant since the abrasive tech is newer (more refined?) than the One Step Sealant.

The Foaming Surface Prep has long had me intrigued, but I just can’t get past having to buy a gallon. So far I’ve only used about half my 35oz bottle of the Surface Wash, so I’m not sure it makes sense to buy so much of something that’s likely more aggressive than I’d need on a regular basis. But it’d be interesting to play with...

Build up Stock: Realistically, what I should probably do is get more pads. I was looking at it this morning - I only have a couple each of the BOSS orange pads in 5.5 and 6.5 options, same for the perfecting pads. I’ve got a stack of the standard thickness orange pads, but I’m using a GG6 and understand the value of the thinner pads.

I’ve got some of the BOSS Microfiber and the Microfiber Fast Finishing Pads in different sizes, but I’ve still not gotten super comfortable working with the Microfiber pads. Not that I get bad results, just that I never feel like I’m doing it right and getting them faster. So, I’d probably look at getting some of the white Fast Correcting pads and some more of the orange boss pads.

I know this is a long read, but just looking for a sanity check on the best way to maximize the gift certificates.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Adding to the arsenal - another “Help me spend my money” thread

I’d add FCC, not Finishing Sealant as your goal should be to polish the car the least that you can. It is a great product though. I’d look into spending the rest on pads. Save the heavier cutting for wool type pads as you can find certain ones to be less aggressive than the white Fast Correcting Pad, and certain ones much more aggressive. The Orange Correcting pads are great, so are the Yellow Perfecting and the Black Finishing. To keep the finish of that Audi up to par, Black Finishing with Perfecting Cream or even Sonax EX 04-06, is the way to go. Shoot, I have even burnished German clears with the same products that I can burnish Japanese paints with, the Germans always end up glossier.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post
    Thanks Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Adding to the arsenal - another “Help me spend my money” thread

Thanks for the input!

Fast Correcting Cream is in my cart. They just started a 20% off liquids promo, so I’m adding the Foaming Surface Prep as well. I’ve been too curious since it was released to not try it. I’ll be able to get some use out of it I’m sure. Worst case scenario I can trade some off if it’s clear I’ll never use it all.

Regarding the pads - are you saying I’d be better going with the Microfiber pads vs the White Fast Correcting pads for heavy cutting? I’ll get some more of the Correcting pads for sure, but am trying to decide if I add in either some others. Any benefits one way or the other? My initial thought was towards the White foam pads as I’m familiar/comfortable with using foam, but haven’t put a lot of miles on the Microfiber style pads.

Thread Information