Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: It`s here! Griots new edgeless PMF drying towel.

I really like the GG PFM`s. I have several and use them on my Audi. Not sure if there is anything better - or noticeably better out there. However, I was at a a NJ detailer`s shop a coupe of weeks ago and bought a large Adam`s MF and have no complaints with that either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SGM2008 View Post
    The midsize 27" x 19" PFM (exclusive to Advanced Auto Parts?) is the perfect size and doesn`t feel too heavy when wet.
    Yep.. Got 2 of these, like the mid. size for trunk, roof, hood.
    The 16x16 gets the rest. Some times I use the 9x16 detail towel PFM for the intricate grill on my Malibu.

Post Thanks / Like

I know it`s a big stretch to say one MF towel looks like another but my first thought was that this looks nearly identical to the one I just saw in one of Scott`s videos from Dallas Paint Correction. Seems he has his own line of towels now and his drying towel looks exactly the same. Anyone else have the same thought?

Please don`t get me wrong. I`m not insinuating anything. That was just the first thought that popped in my head. Looks like a great towel but I have a hard time with larger towels. This would probably be great for the initial drag to dry method and then go back around with a smaller towel.
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Is this the one you are referring to from Advanced Auto Parts?

Link to Commercial Site Removed

Post Thanks / Like

I bough one from Advance Auto Parts on sale on line and it was not as thick as the one I bought from AG. Works fine though. Most of the water is blown off so a normal microfiber towel or two usually does the job for me. I’ve got one of the AG Big Blue drying towels and I can say it has held up very well.
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I bough one from Advance Auto Parts on sale on line and it was not as thick as the one I bought from AG..
    Clarification, please You`re saying that the PFM from Advance differs from the PFM from AG?

I`m still not on the bandwagon, but I am curious enough to want to know!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Clarification, please You`re saying that the PFM from Advance differs from the PFM from AG?

I`m still not on the bandwagon, but I am curious enough to want to know!
    Mine was. The PFM from AG was a thicker, better quality towel. No idea why except maybe it cost less. I believe Griots is still selling PFMs through Advance. I bought mine online so I did not see it until delivered. I would not buy another through Advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Could be two different lines. The cheaper price point for parts stores and the premium versions for themselves and boutique places like PBMG

With as many towels that are available out there would not surprise me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Mine was. The PFM from AG was a thicker, better quality towel. No idea why except maybe it cost less. I believe Griots is still selling PFMs through Advance. I bought mine online so I did not see it until delivered. I would not buy another through Advance.
    Interesting ... the large towels from Advanced (silver w/teal border) feel and appear to be the same thinkness and quality of the 2-Pack of 16" towels I purchased through Autopia.

Post Thanks / Like

I know Griot`s has bumped up the GSM on at least the larger PFM`s, I think the 16x16`s too. I don`t remember what they were when they were released though, was it like 850?
    The silver/teal drying towel in the AG Outlet store doesn`t list the GSM.

*Edit, just checked - The blue detailing PFM`s are 1120 also.*
    *Edit again - Google tells me they were 860gsm*

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SGM2008 View Post
    Interesting ... the large towels from Advanced (silver w/teal border) feel and appear to be the same thinkness and quality of the 2-Pack of 16" towels I purchased through Autopia.
    I thought it was strange also. I left a comment in the Advance Auto comment section about the towels. They advertised the sizes wrong also when I bought mine. Advance Auto allows customers to ask questions similar to the way Amazon does and I’ve advise other customers about the towels being the wrong advertised size and quality. It’s been about 18 months since I’ve bought the towels so things may have changed. Hopefully.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Huh, that`s some, uhm...confusion. Guess they`re closing out the lighter ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marine Clerk View Post
    I`ll Second what Mike Lambert says!

Large or small, they work great.
    This is where I got mine.. I want to get 2 more.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there some inherent advantage to an edgeless towel that I am not aware of, other than the lack of edge banding that may not be of the same quality or softness as the towel microfiber band and, hence may scratch a surface that being wiped? HEY, maybe I answered my own question!!!

One thing I am NOT keen about PMF is how the looping catches on sharp corners or protruding emblems and badges and then you end up with pulls. While they work magnificently for drying, I know I should be a little more prudent in HOW I wipe or blot with them. I work on too many domestic (USA) designed and assembled vehicles where such "catches" are more prevalent, especially on panel seam gaps and just plain panel styling designs, SUV and trucks in particular, and manufacturing and assembly practices and tolerances are not on par with their imported competition. I can lament (AKA, wine) all I want about this in domestic vehicles, but it will not change anything. Just need to be more vigilant in wiping. Hate to be a "barber" for my PMF towels and cut off the pulls, but if you don`t they catch even more!

I bought the smaller 16x16 drying towels from Griots for easy of handling when they get soaked. You can have two twin packs of these towels for about the same price as a single large 25 x 35 towel. I think it makes more sense for the smaller towels, BUT if you are drying larger vehicles, like full cab trucks or motor-homes with a lot of panel area all the time, the larger towel may be a better option.

And don`t get me started on microfiber quality. If there is one aspect for ANY detailer, hobbyist or pro, that should not be "cheaped", it is microfibers. I cannot tell you how much of a difference it can make in the end result of a detail. It seems pointless to spend an inordinate amount of hours correcting and polishing a surface, and then wiping it with a less-than-quality microfiber and it looks swirled and you end up chasing your tail.

On another note if you are somewhat curious about what microfibers to use with specific detailing tasks, please see the thread I started on this subject:
    Favorite Microfiber for Specific Detailing Task List (Autopian Suggestions)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I`m glad I`m not the only one who catches PFM towels on emblems and badges.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information