Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pad Help Please

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pad Help Please

IME using air works best with smaller (foam) pads, and/but even then you need to work "towards the edge" to avoid just blowing the [stuff] down into the foam. Works like a charm with MF though.

And yeah, I too will wipe foam pads with a white cotton towel. Kevin B. prefers a MF, but I like cotton.
    Likes m54daboll, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I also only use, as I have said before a Lake Country Pad Cleaning Product, (Snappy Clean) that works very well to clean the pads, rinses out way easier than anything else, especially those things made for dishes, and doesnt seem to hurt the adhesive on the back of the pads..
    Heh heh, the only Pad Cleaners I`ve used sure did rinse out a lot easier!

But just for the sake of being, uhm....me:

why would one not want to use this??
    Because one might have a lifetime supply of Dawn Power Dissolver and otherwise unused APCs Sorry, couldn`t resist!
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Yeah, agree. But with regard to correction I`d err on the side of "often"

Hey, interesting! I might be able to get by with one if using something without significant abrasives (e.g., KAIO) on clean paint, don`t think I`ve ever tried though, even with air (which is indeed a *GREAT* thing for cleaning pads).

No issues with the Glass Cleaner messing with the AIO? And per usual...I`ll say how IPA just doesn`t do it for me.
    TMG`s pad cleaning process:

Setting up for initial pass with "dry" pad:
    1. Spritz the pad with water, somewhat liberally
    2. Blow out pad with compressed air
    3. Apply needed product
    4. Spritz pad with water

Cleaning after each pass:
    1. Hit pad with compressed air and get polisher up to speed with air, holding polisher into bucket, spray pad with compressed air starting from one side of pad and go to other.

Cleaning after each panel or every two panels:
    1. Liberally apply "cleaner" to pad
    2. Holding the polisher by the pad, insert into bucket and "spray" out pad
    3. Insert #1 from above^^

Of course this process is primarily used for a thin pad of any type, thicker pads do get changed out for new ones.

To get a pad perfectly clean I will throw it in the washing machine with many others, using All Free and Clear with medium water temp, they come out good as new every time.

Honestly, wiping a pad off with a rag makes no sense to me. At the end of each pass or set, that pad has picked up spent polish, abraded clear coat, and anything else on the pad. Think about this, when one goes to wipe the pad with a rag, aren`t they pushing (to some degree) the spent product and everything else into the cells or fibers of the pad? Why not hit the pad with air that is not perpendicular to the pad face (and/or also allowing pad rotation)? Compressed air not perpendicular to the pad face, and centrifugal force will allow spent product to literally be ejected from the pad, to some degree. Also consider the fact that on a thinner foam pad, wool pad, and microfiber pad the compressed air will literally go through the structure of the pad, hit the backing plate or backing medium, and essentially force contamination from out of the structure of the pad. Any type of liquid fluid simply expedites this process. Compressed air when used correctly will also allow heat transfer from out of the pad, its backing plate, the polisher backing plate, and the metal that consists (can`t think of the word) of the pad to polisher connection.

Post Thanks / Like

I did get some "Snappy Clean Pad Cleaning Powder" but have not tried it yet. Will report back after I do. Thank you all for your help/comments.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

The Mean Green --

Everyone has found, and/or is working on finding their best process for their needs.

I only use very clean, white, cotton hand towel size towels and apply pressure to the pad surface to wipe of all that gunk that came off the paint, and the product used to do it, and it gets about everything off the pad onto the clean white cotton towel, and the pad looks pretty darn clean again.. And I can tell by changing to a clean spot on the towel, when I have removed as much as possible off the pad..

Spraying the pad with a pad conditioner also helps this process and of course, helps keep the pad cooler..
    I go through a lot of clean, white, cotton towels and pads and never have issues with the end result..

Perhaps my process works so great because I only use pads that are made of a foam that does not absorb product readily or very deep..

I honestly don`t see how spraying air on foam will really help that much, but again, we all find our best process for our needs and all is good..

I also don`t want to have to drag an air hose around the vehicle with me and have to hear the compressor come on all the time.. The less amount of stuff that can accidently hit or rub the paintwork, the better for my needs..

I suppose I can turn my Makita up to 3,000 rpm and it will unload some liquid, etc., out of the foam, but I don`t really want to blow stuff up into the air and have it come down on my clean paintwork later, etc..

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, lots of different ways to keep the pads clean and I`d sure assume (uh-oh!) that by the time somebody has spent a while doing this (or even just thinking about it) that it`ll become obvious what works/doesn`t. And if in doubt, just grab a fresh one.

Just be sure to do [whatever works for you] very often. When people try to do a lot of work with few pads (or even just one) it`s no surprise that things don`t go well.

But just FWIW, putting them in a washing machine has never worked well for me, no matter what type of washer. Sure wish it *were* that easy, but for me it`s just not

Post Thanks / Like

Stokdgs- wow I finally got around to using Snappy Clean Pad Cleaning Powder. WOW it is great !,,, thnx for mentioning it here. easier and quicker then the old way. Thnx again
    Likes Stokdgs, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishing View Post
    Stokdgs- wow I finally got around to using Snappy Clean Pad Cleaning Powder. WOW it is great !,,, thnx for mentioning it here. easier and quicker then the old way. Thnx again
    Hello, Fishing !

Glad to hear that the Lake Country Snappy Clean worked for you..
    Its been my go to cleaner for around 15 years..
    It`s priced pretty good too..
    Ok, 1 more thing off your list !
    Dan F
    Thanks Fishing thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishing View Post
    I actually ordered after reading your recommendation and nothing to compared to as this was my 1st polish/correction. Worked very well though. Soaked after using for a few hours and the rinsed right clean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have a Harbor Freight store nearby, it`s hard to beat their prices on pads and they are 6 inch instead of the larger 6.5 inch. The smaller pad is easier to work with.
    Thanks Fishing thanked for this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information