Post Thanks / Like

One Step Sealant vs Boss Finishing Sealant

Thank you in advance for ANY help with these questions.
    How does the One Step Sealant compare to the Boss Finishing Sealant ?
    1) Is one sealant better then the other in regards to protection ?
    2) Is one sealant better then the other in regards to the Gloss/Shine ?
    3) Does one last longer then the other ?
    4) Is one more hydrophobic then the other ?
    Likes WaxAddict liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: One Step Sealant vs Boss Finishing Sealant

The finishing Sealant as I understand it has the same abrasive as the entire boss line. Just a smaller load. It also is designed for the large throw machines which tend to by the aggressive nature will quickly cure most sealants to fast leading to streaks. I believe the one step is designed for the smaller throw machines. I also believe it is not as aggressive. As far as durability, that all depends on the situation.hope that helps?
    Likes WaxAddict, Brownie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Good question Fishing (and response by Mike).

These two products overlap almost completely in both description and price (about $1). If the BOSS variant is newer and better, then the other is a lame duck. Griots is far from the sole offender of this. If there IS a decent difference, then tell us. Sometimes a product is left in the catalog to satisfy a large legacy fan base, but I don`t see One Step Sealant having such swagger and panache. Just give us your best stuff if price is so similar.
    Likes Stokdgs, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Griot's Garage Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishing View Post
    Thank you in advance for ANY help with these questions.
    How does the One Step Sealant compare to the Boss Finishing Sealant ? One-Step Sealant is an excellent all in one durable protection which offers light defect and contaminant removal (Road Tar, Oil, Tree-Sap) due to its solvent blend. The abrasives are larger particles which will effectively remove light scratches and swirls with a 5mm-10mm orbit. Finishing Sealant on the other hand is developed with Sub-Micron abrasives which will finish down as close to perfection as attainable. Finishing Sealant is a underrated work-horse capable of removing 3000g Sanding Marks with THE BOSS and a BOSS Microfiber Fast Cutting Pad. One application I love to employ is using slow methodical passes with a long-throw polisher and a Microfiber Cutting Pad, leaving the residue on the surface. I then butter a pad face with a orange correcting or yellow perfecting foam pad and work the surface with 2-3 more passes to remove any microfiber marring. This 1.5 step process is ultra-fast and delivers 99% paint correction.

1) Is one sealant better then the other in regards to protection ? One Step Sealant contains Amino Functional Silicones (AFS) (Synthetic Polymers) which cross-link and cure. These create a moisture cured sacrificial film which delivers excellent protection. AFS do not perform well with long-throw orbitals, as Mike stated, causes the AMS to hyper-cure leading to buffer track marks (circular highs and lows).
    2) Is one sealant better then the other in regards to the Gloss/Shine ? Finishing Sealant will deliver a deeper higher gloss finish
    3) Does one last longer then the other ? One-Step Sealant will last longer than Finishing Sealant
    4) Is one more hydrophobic then the other ?
    One-Step Sealant is the most hydrophobic

Remember, we`re always taking the best that exists and making it better. So stay tuned. Thanks Bud
    Jeff

Griot's Garage Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

In addition to my other comments, One-Step Sealant would be more appropriate for a daily driver, where time is limited, but the user wants to remove light defects and deliver a durable protection in one easy step. Like most "All-in-ones"

Where as Finishing Sealant should be considered a work horse that can be pad flexed in many ways to remove moderate defects to finishing down as close to perfection as possible. It`s also great on soft paints, as the polymers lubricate the surface during wipe-off preventing towel scratches. I believe it to be the most underrated products Griot`s has to offer.
    Thanks Oneheadlite, Fishing thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your help.
    Brownie I do not know what "can be pad flexed in many ways" is. Would it be possible for you to tell me what this is ? I am a newbie at detailing. Thank you for any help.

Post Thanks / Like

It means that you can basically change the way it works by changing the pad you use.
    Likes Fishing liked this post

Griot's Garage Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Bud...sorry about the lack of clarity. We offer everything from a Microfiber FAST Cutting Pad, to BOSS Foam Finishing Pad and varying degrees of correcting ability in between. The BOSS Finishing Sealant is compatible with all pads. The correcting ability and finish quality of each pad will conversely affect the FS ability to remove defects and the final appearance of the finish. It`s extremely versatile and IMO one of the best AIO on the market. With the appropriate pad, it`ll finish to visually perfect, with the added benefit of good protection. Let me know if I need to elaborate. Thank bud

Appreciate your interest.
    Jeff
    Likes Fishing liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Mike and Brownie thank you very much for the great info....learn something every day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
    In addition to my other comments, One-Step Sealant would be more appropriate for a daily driver, where time is limited, but the user wants to remove light defects and deliver a durable protection in one easy step. Like most "All-in-ones"

Where as Finishing Sealant should be considered a work horse that can be pad flexed in many ways to remove moderate defects to finishing down as close to perfection as possible. It`s also great on soft paints, as the polymers lubricate the surface during wipe-off preventing towel scratches. I believe it to be the most underrated products Griot`s has to offer.
    Finishing sealant is one I`ve been hesitant to try/use...as I use Poly wax or a carnauba or a combo of both after using the perfecting cream....I <3 the Griots m/f boss pads btw.

Thread Information