Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Doing some rounds with the BOSS Foaming System.

Quote Originally Posted by EKhatch View Post
    Newb question. Are you (not sure if this system specifies one way or the other) doing a pre-rinse or just straight to foaming on a dry surface?

Thanks for the detailed first impressions and follow ups thus far.
    They recommend applying it to a dry car. I know, slightly against what your brain thinks (get that dirt off now!); but the idea is to allow maximum cling for the foam. If you spray the car with water first, you’re cutting down on the ability for the foam to cling and dwell. As it dwells, the theory is that it lifts the dirt and then helps drop it off the paint. You then chase it with a top-down pressure wash which blasts everything off.

LGHT - thanks for the rundown on your buying experience. That’s nice about the coupon they gave. Looks like stainless fittings are like $7 on the River site. I got my BOSS kit straight from Griot’s since I had a gift card for them to burn.
    Likes EKhatch, LGHT liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LGHT View Post
    Nice follow up. I still haven`t used mine after waiting a month to get it they new "kits" are no longer coming with any type of connector on the cannon at all? Apparently the online page failed to mention that and I couldn`t find anything locally so waiting for a connector from MTM to arrive from back east.
    Let the record show- that was an accidental dislike: too easy to hit the wrong button on a phone!!! Wish they could be retracted!

Post Thanks / Like

Home Depot or a place like that has the connectors. They recommend foaming the car dry, but even after bringing a car in from the rain, it worked great.
    Thanks Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the Ace hardware by me, but they didn’t have anything. I worried the big box stores wouldn’t have actual stainless fittings; was worried about corrosion from dissimilar metals.

Post Thanks / Like

Doesnt seem much different than any other soap in a foam cannon. Am I wrong? Still a film left afterward just like those.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

Next time you are going to rinse the GG surface wash off the car. Try to start at the bottom of the car and work your way up. Just rinse with the width of the PW nozzle gets you. This is so you hit all of the surface with the water pressure from the PW. And you get a better cleaning ability when doing this. The dirty residue that you are getting the higher up you come has a better ability to run off a cleaned panel. And the chemicals is able to work till the water pressure clean it off the vehical. You might don`t see an extreme difference this way. But the benefits are a reason to at least test them out. Was a live video on Facebook I think that was linked here by Guz. That shows the rep from GG was recommend to use do it this way. I have used this method för a long time since we use alot more chemicals to prewash with here in Sweden. This clean with the water pressure from the PW from down and up is only when you have a chemical to clean of. With car soap and the last rinse it`s from top to bottom and I would even use the hose to do that step. So the higher water flow rinse off the car completly from car soap residue. This method was used with only a hose available too. And before the foamcannon and foam gun was being popular. It`s also so the dirt that has been rinsed off not gets clinging on the dirt that is being rinsed off lower down on the car. Was happy to see that Griots Garage has been looking over the pond how a prewash is cleaned off the car. The goal is to have as an effective prewash as possible before touching it with a wash mitt.
    Since you feel like it worked as a touchless maintance wash says it`s the real deal of a dedicated prewash foam. You don`t get any near those results with a car soap. As that is made to be used with an aggitation to be as effective as possible to clean. And it`s the power from the PW that does the most cleaning and the prewash chemicals you use to clean the different dirt you have on the car is to help to desolve them. The goal once again is to get the most of the dirt off the vehical before you get that little dirt off with a touching wash. You can do a waterless wash or rinseless wash or a 2bm wash after the prewash. With a result you can see in a less dirty rinse bucket or cleaner mf wash towels. You get a safer wash and the risk of wash indused swirls is lower than if you don`t do a prewash step. Now I`m going to stop ranting over this.

Have a great weekend and wash safely LOL

/Tony
    Likes DetailZeus, Oneheadlite, LGHT liked this post
    Thanks Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly!
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    I really need to get a strong LSP on her wheels, they’re gonna be the end of me.
    As a side note, I`d recommend McKees Wheel Coating. since I started using it, soap and water is all I need to use
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Tony - Great post. Thanks for catching the glitch in my approach! I feel silly having missed on doing the post-foam rinse starting at the bottom, working up then back down. On the maintenance (second) wash, I did follow it up with a flood rinse from the hose before moving on to drying. I’m looking forward to the Foaming Surface Prep getting wide release - it sounds much more like the strength of the pre-rinses you have available.

Dcjredline - On top of helping me out with a pressure washer fitting, Vanquish piled on the Autopian Awesome and sent me a sample of Chemical Guys Honeydew snow foam. If you want, some time I can try doing the same approach using that instead and report back my findings.

Briarpatch - thanks for the recommendation. Might watch for a sale and grab some, I’ve been thinking about trying that one for a while.
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the Ace hardware by me, but they didn’t have anything. I worried the big box stores wouldn’t have actual stainless fittings; was worried about corrosion from dissimilar metals.
    Exactly why I`m waiting for mine from MTM, Home Depot, Ace, 2 plumbing supply stores and none of them had the right fittings. Seems like MTM sales a lot of foam cannon adapters.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    As a side note, I`d recommend McKees Wheel Coating. since I started using it, soap and water is all I need to use
    How long does their coating last? I go back and forth between whether coating or (conventional) LSPing is best for me..

But yeah, nice to just use shampoo mix and have `em clean up fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    How long does their coating last? I go back and forth between whether coating or (conventional) LSPing is best for me..

But yeah, nice to just use shampoo mix and have `em clean up fine.
    Hard to say, because I re-apply every six months. I`ve tried this stuff, and PoorBoys Wheel Sealant, which is good, but not as good as the McKees.

Post Thanks / Like

The Surface Prep is a strip wash right? Do you think it is any better at removing dirt than Surface Wash or would the only reason to use it to be before doing any kind of paint correction/claying?

Post Thanks / Like

It is meant to start from scratch. Not for routine cleaning.
    Likes EKhatch liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dcjredline - On top of helping me out with a pressure washer fitting, Vanquish piled on the Autopian Awesome and sent me a sample of Chemical Guys Honeydew snow foam. If you want, some time I can try doing the same approach using that instead and report back my findings.
    Dont worry about it, Ive done it with HoneyDew and just like any other soap with just a foam and rinse, it leaves a lot of dirt film and bugs etc on the car still. Just a foam wash will never work IMO
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information