Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

BOSS 21 Just Gave up the ghost; brushes perhaps?

Was working a hood, all is well. Turned off unit and set down to remove polish residue, picked up unit about 15 minutes later and...nothing. No odd noises, no `kinda start` just dead. Did all the normal checks like power outlet and such but no joy. Do brushes give out like that ir is it back to Griots it goes?

Minor inconvenience as they will no doubt replace with no issues just kinda odd...there one minute, gone the next.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: BOSS 21 Just Gave up the ghost; brushes perhaps?

Sorry to hear that. Have you got a fall back polisher? Too bad the new Rupes Mk III hasn’t hit the market yet. There was a MK II in the open box section yesterday. Have you used it enough to burn up the brushes? I was thinking it took a few years of hard polishing to go through a set of brushes. I’ve yet to burn through a set on any of my polishers but keep expecting it every year.

Post Thanks / Like

It could be the brushes. If you bought it new there should be a spare set in the pouch. Worst case is send it back. Had to send my g21 back this summer after 2.5 years of abuse. It wasn`t as smooth. Needless to say they sent me a brand new in the box unit. No questions asked. There customer service is top notch.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Have you got a fall back polisher? Too bad the new Rupes Mk III hasn’t hit the market yet. There was a MK II in the open box section yesterday. Have you used it enough to burn up the brushes? I was thinking it took a few years of hard polishing to go through a set of brushes. I’ve yet to burn through a set on any of my polishers but keep expecting it every year.
    Yep, looks like it`ll be the Flex 3401 and Rupes 15 Mk2 for near future. For the work vans up next the 21mm is just killer given all the long, relatively flat panels. Will probably go Flex with 6.5" pads but that`s gonna take it`s toll on me on the work vans...lotsa real estate to cover. I really like the BOSS21 though, seems to work better for me than the Rupes.

Quote Originally Posted by Justins00ss View Post
    It could be the brushes. If you bought it new there should be a spare set in the pouch. Worst case is send it back. Had to send my g21 back this summer after 2.5 years of abuse. It wasn`t as smooth. Needless to say they sent me a brand new in the box unit. No questions asked. There customer service is top notch.
    Yeah, not a big deal, will swap the brushes before I send it back...thought perhaps brushes would die in a slower, more dramatic fashion than current `worked one minute, dead the next` fashion. Returned my GG6 for power cord failure last year w/ no drama so it will be easy to return and get new one...just a crummy time of year to be shipping things expeditiously.

Such is life, in overall scheme of things a very, very minor `problem`...
    Likes Oneheadlite, VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Budget - Sorry to hear your machine fritzed out. Never seems to happen at a “convenient” time. (is there such a thing?) Like you say - you know Griot’s will take care of you, hopefully the downtime is brief.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    ..... Have you used it enough to burn up the brushes? I was thinking it took a few years of hard polishing to go through a set of brushes. I’ve yet to burn through a set on any of my polishers but keep expecting it every year.
    I was trying to remember which post of Budget’s it was where he listed all the different truck/van numbers and what products they were wearing - I’m guessing with how many vans he’s got looking so sharp that 21’s seen some On time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    I was trying to remember which post of Budget’s it was where he listed all the different truck/van numbers and what products they were wearing - I’m guessing with how many vans he’s got looking so sharp that 21’s seen some On time.
    Actually, the 21 was a late season purchase last Spring so it`s only seen about 4 vehicles/40hrs...it`s become my favorite, nice ergonomics.
    Likes felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That does sound strange. I`m sure you checked to make sure no trip switch was triggered...can`t beat the warranty at least. I haven`t regretted my purchase

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by showbbq View Post
    That does sound strange. I`m sure you checked to make sure no trip switch was triggered...can`t beat the warranty at least. I haven`t regretted my purchase
    Yep...plugged Rupes into same outlet, back to working I went.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you moved the power cord around where it goes into the machine with the machine switched to ON ?
    if one of the 2 (white - Neutral black - voltage) wires breaks, that will also stop the machine dead..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Have you moved the power cord around where it goes into the machine with the machine switched to ON ?
    if one of the 2 (white - Neutral black - voltage) wires breaks, that will also stop the machine dead..
    Dan F
    Yep, that was the downfall of my first GG6 so gave it a try with the 21...no joy.

Post Thanks / Like

I can`t say if its the brushes or not but I had my G15 stop spinning if any load was put on it. I replaced the brushes but that didnt seem to work. I ended up having to send it in for repairs, or so I thought. I had another unit at my door within days. It wasn`t a new one, but it wasn`t my old one either, I don`t really care because it works.

I know this isn`t your problem and doesn`t help solve it, I guess it was a long way of saying that you`ll probably have to send it in.
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Does it have an in line fuse by chance? I thought the gg6 came with a spare fuse.

Sent from my SHT-W09 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

My 21 did the same thing a few months after I bought it, I thought it couldn`t be the brushes this soon could it? Sure enough, i took the brushes out and they looked fine, put them back in and it went back to working just fine and a year later I still haven`t had to change the brushes.
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Will give it a shot...who knows, will probably work.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Budget, will you be sending it back for warranty repair?
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information