Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Everyday Driver Podcast - Nick Griot

Just wanted to share this podcast with my fellow detailing nuts:

Nick Griot joined the guys at Everyday Driver to talk Griot`s Garage and cars. He doesn`t get in-depth on detailing products or methods but does discuss Griot`s Garage history and his personal history which I found interesting.

https://www.podcastone.com/episode/2...-Old-School-F1

Anyway, enjoy!
    2022 VW Atlas - White (FK1000P)
    2019 Ram 1500 Laramie with the 5.7L - Pretty Much Maroon
    (FK1000P)
    Likes nickclark08, felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Everyday Driver Podcast - Nick Griot

I just heard this podcast and was going to post the same thing! I`m a little behind.

What I found interesting was his comments regarding new products coming out this summer with a "whole new chemical line" and "new tools". In both cases he said they`d be out in "about a month", so that would put it somewhere in the next couple weeks. It was a great discussion and I found his explination as to why Griots hasn`t gone into coatings pretty interesting. I`ve never been dissapointed by Griots and will keep looking for ways to get their products in my garage.

I`m really glad to see Griots sponsor the Everyday Driver TV show on Velocity. Todd and I were friends in college and it`s great to see thier TV show and podcasts really taking off.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing!

I spend a lot of time in the car (commuting), so I`m always looking for good podcasts to help shrink the miles. I`m also a big Griot`s fan, so looking forward to checking it out.

Hmmm. Whole buncha new stuff in the works for this summer - Just got a $100 gift cert for them for my B-day, looks like I`ll have to hold off on putting in an order...

Post Thanks / Like

Please be a new Boss 3" electric polisher

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for posting!

Post Thanks / Like

It appears that the majority opinion here regarding Griot`s has improved recently. Glad to see it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    It appears that the majority opinion here regarding Griot`s has improved recently. Glad to see it.
    Was it bad at some point? I`ve been happy with the few products I`ve tried and it seems their BOSS products and polishers are pretty well recieved. I don`t think they have hits across the entire line like McKee`s seems to be scoring these days, but they do seem to have some decent performer. My only dissapointment was the durablity of their One Step Sealant, which only lasted about six weeks. The gloss and correcting ability were pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Was it bad at some point?
    Wasn`t that long ago that I was about the only guy here who stuck up for them. The hating was simply....extreme. Anybody who bought anything from them was a "sucker" who "threw his money away" and so on. Yeah, really...seemed like you couldn`t even mention `em without somebody going off.

Admittedly, back then some of their stuff was, uhm...not so hot. And Yours Truly was unfairly placed on their [crap] list, didn`t even receive catalogs (oops, "Handbooks") for ages, had to use the ones they sent my wife, so it`s not like I didn`t have reason to pile on. But hey I stuck with them in large part because of my respect for and admiration of Richard (even if we sure don`t agree about everything). They even started sending me catalogs (uhm...Handbooks) again after a while
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Griot`s was always a Boutique seller and pretty high priced.. They offered a lot of choices for many, many, different products, and catered to guys that really liked being in the garage with their "baby"..

Long ago, most Detailers who were in the business could not really afford those higher prices, that were competing with well known brands that catered specifically to Detailers...
    My observations have seen Griot`s move from that early business plan to offering some pretty good things according to many on here that use them professionally..

I really liked it when they used to sell these what looked like awesome tool sets from Italy, etc., that were really nice but again, expensive...Was it Fabco?

They used to and perhaps still do have an awesome lifetime warranty on their random orbital machines.. I remember on a few Forums back and a decade or more, their machines were going out as quickly as they were returning and they always honored their warranty.. No one else was doing that... And perhaps no one is doing that today except for Griot`s..

Have been to their store in WA. a few times when I lived up there, and since that time it has expanded to even bigger and more things...

It is obvious from looking at the results from Mike Lambert and Chad Raskovich, that some of their compounds and polishes, and some pads really work well..

Perhaps they offer discounts to business users, that would be nice if they did.. I don`t follow them on social media, etc.., so perhaps they do offer plans, etc...
    I have seen Richard Griot`s picture in catalogs from so long ago, it is now hard to believe he has gotten older.. He seems to be a very smart, nice, guy..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

With the talent they have brought on board, I think you’re going to se some exciting new products. The Boss line works as well if not better than anything on the market. The machines are excellent and in my opinion better than The Rupes I used to use. And the lifetime warranty can’t be beat! Maybe that’s either company that got us away from the rotary and forced rotation, is now selling them?

Post Thanks / Like

Should say maybe that’s why, sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I really liked it when they used to sell these what looked like awesome tool sets from Italy, etc., that were really nice but again, expensive...Was it Fabco?
    Maybe...I can`t quite remember. They did sell Facom tools from France for a while...some really nice stuff but hopelessly unreliable ratchets with an apparently now-worthless "Lifetime Warranty" (scare-quotes intentional). Sigh.

They used to and perhaps still do have an awesome lifetime warranty on their random orbital machines..
    Their original 3" electric RO was pretty lousy..first one sorta-worked... for about 15 minutes...and they`d only replace it once (with another just like it).

Have been to their store in WA. a few times when I lived up there, and since that time it has expanded to even bigger and more things...
    I`d simply love to check their Flagship Store out!

I have seen Richard Griot`s picture in catalogs from so long ago, it is now hard to believe he has gotten older.. He seems to be a very smart, nice, guy..
    Yeah, an interview with him in one of the big Auto Magazines really resonated with me even though I initially approached it a bit cynically. I`d rather spend my $ with him than with some others I can think of.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike Lambert- I suspect that they figured out that plenty of non-professionals are interested in, capable of properly using, and willing to pay for, stuff that isn`t entirely idiot-proof. And that plenty of people *won`t* put up with stuff that doesn`t work both effectively and efficiently.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Griot`s was always a Boutique seller and pretty high priced.. They offered a lot of choices for many, many, different products, and catered to guys that really liked being in the garage with their "baby"..
    Funny you mention this. On the podcast Nick was asked a question about coatings, and while he acknowledged there are some great ones on the market, one of the main reasons he mentioned they haven`t offered one yet was because coatings put vehicles owners into a maintenance cycle where they touch their car far less. He specifically stated their target customers are those who love to be constantly touching their vehicles. His other reason for not doing a coating was the difficulty in making them and since they are dedicated to producing their own products in-house at the Indy production facility, it would be a huge investment to produce a coating.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I really don’t think we need anymore coatings, it’s gotten out of hand! Tons of private label ones, only a few make they’re own stuff.And now everybody has a Primer as Modesta has had, and now everyone has a different topping product. Way to much!
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information