Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Griots new black satin tire coating.

Griot`s Garage Black Satin Tire Coating

Product caught my eye. Great for hard to dress tires being its a aerosol. Wonder how the product is?
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griots new black satin tire coating.

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    Griot`s Garage Black Satin Tire Coating

Product caught my eye. Great for hard to dress tires being its a aerosol. Wonder how the product is?
    Jeff mentioned this dressing to me the other day when I met up with him. I was complaining about the OEM tires on my truck as the sidewall design sucks to dress and he suggested this product. I`ll let you know if I get a sample to try out.

Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Jeff mentioned this dressing to me the other day when I met up with him. I was complaining about the OEM tires on my truck as the sidewall design sucks to dress and he suggested this product. I`ll let you know if I get a sample to try out.

I had tires like that on my truck, they are a pain. What worked best for me was Black Magic in a spray can, but it didn`t last very long. Going to try the new Griot`s tire coating on my next order. I bet it will do a great job on those tires RaskyR1.
    Likes RaskyR1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have tires like those on the Tahoe and some of the passenger car ones aren`t all *that* different. Yeah, they take a while.

Q on the aerosols- how do you keep overspray off of everything that`s not the tire? I`m assuming perfectly still air too, which might not be the case for everybody. I just don`t get it...I don`t even spritz it from regular sprayers because some can get on other surfaces, it`s just not 1005 controllable IME.
    Likes Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I have tires like those on the Tahoe and some of the passenger car ones aren`t all *that* different. Yeah, they take a while.

Q on the aerosols- how do you keep overspray off of everything that`s not the tire? I`m assuming perfectly still air too, which might not be the case for everybody. I just don`t get it...I don`t even spritz it from regular sprayers because some can get on other surfaces, it`s just not 1005 controllable IME.
    Yeah, that`s my concern with spraying any tire dressings as well, especially solvent based. You`d have to manually clean off the over spray from the wheel and only use indoors with no air movement. I know guys say they airbrush it on without issue but my experience has been different. If there is air movement it will carry it and deposit on your paint. It`s super fine particle but on solid black paint they will show up....saw it all the time back in the high volume days. Had to go around the cars with a detail spray to clean it up.

I have seen wheel covers but you`d have to have them for multiple wheel sizes.

I`m considering a tire coating, but I usually don`t even dress my own tires.

Post Thanks / Like

It works very well, I don`t know how they do it but minimal overspray and none on paint. I use it for those difficult tires
    Likes felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

RaskyR1- Yeah, I`ve had tires that didn`t need dressed (luckily, that still includes my winter tires) and I *really* appreciated that. If only the others looked OK without it...

The wheel covers make lots of sense (gee, I`d need `em in all sizes from 15"-18"), but getting the product on the rubber right up to the rim would be require a whole separate follow-up process with most of my wheels, and doing that with an aerosol? Eh, I dunno...

I sure don`t want it on my paint and since I`m so nutty about my wheelwells I guess I`m just too paranoid about the whole thing and probably not in the target demographic for such stuff. Heh heh, I hardly ever spray any aerosol anything other than my Zep40 window cleaner, and even that`s a huge PIA to do without an !oops! When I need to, I generally go into the shop`s bathroom and spray product onto an applicator/brush in a cardboard box, what a hassle that is!

Post Thanks / Like

Mike lambert- I hear ya and have zero doubt that it`s working fine for you, but I can`t shake the "that might not be Accumulator-proof" worries Still keeping a (cautiously) open mind though....

Post Thanks / Like

Mike lambert- I hear ya and have zero doubt that it`s working fine for you, but I can`t shake the "that might not be Accumulator-proof" worries Still keeping a (cautiously) open mind though....
    What tire dressing do you use?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
    What tire dressing do you use?
    Whatever stuff I`ve had on the shelf for over a decade and want to use up Heh heh...sorry, couldn`t resist...but actually that`s the truth. And I`ve had my current stash for well over a decade.

(Regulars here know that I like very low-gloss tires. That in-between matte and satin, "fresh from the mold" look.)

I simply *LOVED* the old version of Z16 and used that, still have some left too. But I`ve heard the current version is quite different and I doubt I`ll try it.

Among the others I`m using up is Griot`s Vinyl & Rubber Dressing. I think I`m down to my last gallon now...like how it looks, but it does need redone pretty often. This product looks like it`s gone bad...dark, some gross floating globules in it...I mean, really *really* gone bad, but it still seems to work fine. (Heh heh, I can`t imagine any other Autopian using something so obviously gone-bad, but hey...)

The other I`m using up (have maybe a gallon of it too) is Pinnacle`s stuff. It`s *really* old, mid-late `90s. Like how it looks too, but it`s another than needs redone frequently. This stuff has *not* gone funky the way the Griot`s has, seems just like new. Downside is that even though it "dries dry" and doesn`t feel tacky at all, dust of all kinds seems to be more of an issue than with the Z16/griot`s; cleans off OK, but they just get that "those dusty tires need cleaned again" look awfully quick.

No idea whether the current versions of the Griot`s and Pinnacle are the same stuff.

I expect I`ll try the non-slick Duragloss product if I ever use up what I have now, but that really is an "if" because I use it up so slowly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    It works very well, I don`t know how they do it but minimal overspray and none on paint. I use it for those difficult tires
    Did you get any sling off with it? Did it dry thoroughly? Aerosol tire dressings are the quickest was to dress difficult tires, but I have not used one yet that did not sling off on to the paint.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely no sling as long as you let it dry. Lasts 4-5 washes even brushing and using rubber cleaner.
    Likes felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dave, I wish there were a cheap way to get my Tuf Shine to you. I have a bunch to spare. It`s fantastic stuff. The pain is in the initial cleaning of the tires. They have to be very clean for the Tuf Shine to bond. I have two super-strong cleaners: Tuf Shine cleaner and Shine Supply`s Wise Guy tire cleaner. I use my 6" Griot`s polisher with an upholstery brush attached to thoroughly scrub my tires two to three times. Once I can`t get any dirt up on a white microfiber, I move to the next tire. Once all the tires are done, I use my pressure washer to rinse, then the Blaster to dry. Then I use a cheap paintbrush to slather on the Tuf Shine coating. It takes about two minutes per tire to apply Tuf Shine, but I like applying it three times. At first my tires are too shiny, but after about a week, that tones down and I`m left with a rich, deep black sidewall that stays that way for about a year.

My year has passed and I`ve been meaning to reapply Tuf Shine, but the ease of applying Opti-Bond/BLACKFIRE Tire Gel with the Optimum pneumatic sprayer has kept me from taking the time to give my tires the necessary cleaning for applying Tuf Shine. I get a little dressing on my wheels, but it wipes right off and hasn`t been an issue for my wife`s Escape (which is how I treat her tires all the time) or my van (which has seen very little tire dressing since I discovered and was successful with Tuf Shine).
    —  Jaddie

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L Nav. (mine)
    2016 Ford Escape Titanium (hers)

Post Thanks / Like

Whatever stuff I`ve had on the shelf for over a decade and want to use up Heh heh...sorry, couldn`t resist...but actually that`s the truth. And I`ve had my current stash for well over a decade.

(Regulars here know that I like very low-gloss tires. That in-between matte and satin, "fresh from the mold" look.)

I simply *LOVED* the old version of Z16 and used that, still have some left too. But I`ve heard the current version is quite different and I doubt I`ll try it.

Among the others I`m using up is Griot`s Vinyl & Rubber Dressing. I think I`m down to my last gallon now...like how it looks, but it does need redone pretty often. This product looks like it`s gone bad...dark, some gross floating globules in it...I mean, really *really* gone bad, but it still seems to work fine. (Heh heh, I can`t imagine any other Autopian using something so obviously gone-bad, but hey...)

The other I`m using up (have maybe a gallon of it too) is Pinnacle`s stuff. It`s *really* old, mid-late `90s. Like how it looks too, but it`s another than needs redone frequently. This stuff has *not* gone funky the way the Griot`s has, seems just like new. Downside is that even though it "dries dry" and doesn`t feel tacky at all, dust of all kinds seems to be more of an issue than with the Z16/griot`s; cleans off OK, but they just get that "those dusty tires need cleaned again" look awfully quick.

No idea whether the current versions of the Griot`s and Pinnacle are the same stuff.

I expect I`ll try the non-slick Duragloss product if I ever use up what I have now, but that really is an "if" because I use it up so slowly.
    Seems like you got get bizzy using your products up vs taking space on the shelfs.....

Post Thanks / Like

I simply can`t figure out how you guys use aerosol products without getting some overspray on something. Compared to the kind of meticulous application that I have to do I just don`t get it (and I use plenty of aerosol products for other stuff and am, uhm...smarter than the average bear). I don`t even use a pump-sprayer except to transfer it to the various application media.

I [flippin`] hate dressing tires, takes a good long time to get them just the way I want what with all the sidewall [crap]. I use tire dressing applicators (the ones with a nap, sorta like SurBuffs, but also brushes, sponges, and (old) MFs. I employ good lighting and spend forever inspecting the tires from various angles (and either spinning the tire if jacked up or moving the vehicle to get at the whole thing). Simply a big PIA but that`s what it takes or they don`t look good enough.

I don`t bother dressing the back sides of my tires, but I do give them a cursory wiping while I`m underneath doing all those out-of-sight areas.
    Heh heh, I spend more time doing my tires (despite not cleaning them all that thoroughly...see below ) than many here spend doing a whole carwash. Yeah, seriously. And that`s even though I seldom bother doing the valvestems/caps, usually just hitting those with IUDJ as part of the final touches on the wheels.

Sling? I`ve never had it from any tires that I`ve dressed. Well, not since wising up back in the days of (original) Armor All when I was just learning, so not for the last 40 years or so. But I`ve sure had it from [stuff] applied by others when driving home a new-to-me vehicle! Besides not overapplying, I buff buff buff with an old MF (which often reveals areas that need more diligent attention, usually around tiny lettering).

Quote Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
    Seems like you got get bizzy using your products up vs taking space on the shelfs.....
    It sure does take me a LONG time to go through some stuff! Figure how little it takes to dress four tires (usually only do the spares annually), a gallon can last for a long, long time. And I`ve, uhm...accumulated....SO much!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaddie
    ..[Tires]... have to be very clean for the Tuf Shine to bond. I have two super-strong cleaners: Tuf Shine cleaner and Shine Supply`s Wise Guy tire cleaner. I use my 6" Griot`s polisher with an upholstery brush attached to thoroughly scrub my tires two to three times. Once I can`t get any dirt up on a white microfiber, I move to the next tire.
    That`s interesting about how clean they have to be for the Tuf Shine, thanks for mentioning it as it pretty much removes that product from my consideration.

Other than an initial cleanup when I get new tires, I hardly *EVER* do a truly Autopian-meticulous job on the tires of the DDs any more. I found that doing a [crappy], slap-dash (well, relatively speaking ) sort of cleanup is sufficient for me; they look fine to the only person whose opinion really matters. Wouldn`t want to touch `em with a white MF though! Oh man, the proper job that you do makes me shudder just to read it!

You ever try Griot`s Rubber Prep? It`s what I use when I do actually clean `em up properly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information