Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3" MF pads

Post Thanks / Like

3" MF pads

Is there any info or experience on the 3" MF pads from Griot`s ??
    I`m using B&S 4" MF would be nice to have the same or close thickness in a 3" pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3" MF pads

searching for some 3" MF pads too... thinking lake country pads. buff and shine uro fiber pads is coming out soon too
    Likes mikejames liked this post
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Griots is bringing out 3 inch boss pads soon
    Likes mikejames, Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    Griots is bringing out 3 inch boss pads soon
    i think they`re already out. have you been swapping over to lots of griots?

i`m impressed with lots of griots stuff lately. pfm towels. the polishing liquids etc..

Post Thanks / Like

The people at Meguires need to have to their heads examined for disountinuing their 3 inch pads. They are losing sales and brand loyalty, which should count for something. Detailers may not be their target audience, but we have influence with the nondetailing public that reads reviews of products. We keep their name out in the public eye for free where other manufacturers pay/beg for reviews.
    Likes mikejames, Mary B, LashingStanley liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The Griot`s are in.. lookin` at a 6 pack and just ordering all MF`s.
    I do have some LC`s which are alittle flimsy, unlike my Meg`s toughies.
    The foam innards ? seems to be what makes them able to withstand contours...?
    (4" B&F on a 3" backing, began to cup around the plate and deformed itself as I hit a contour)
    B&F as a 3" would be ideal, but that foam does give way too.

Post Thanks / Like

Watching this with great interest....
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    The people at Meguires need to have to their heads examined for disountinuing their 3 inch pads. They are losing sales and brand loyalty, which should count for something. Detailers may not be their target audience, but we have influence with the nondetailing public that reads reviews of products. We keep their name out in the public eye for free where other manufacturers pay/beg for reviews.
    right?!? i read somewhere that they weren`t moving enough of them so that`s why they got discontinued. i would have been ok if they upped the price and still made them. looks all new 3" mf pads have increased anyways
    Likes Mary B, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yes this sucks big time. Im glad i read this since i also need some new mf pads to my mini, i was thinking 4" buff and shine, but i guess the 10mm overhang wont be a good thing. I think i like BnS mf pads more than megs even though both are great but BnS much more durable and easier to clean. Cutting abilities etc. are equal.

Any info on those uro-fiber pars? I would like to see very think open cell foam padding, but the same microfibers and extreme models with no foam at all. Reason for think open cell foam is that these current ones have thick orange closed cell foam which doesnt release air that well and they tend to get hot even they have center hole. I have had 5" to deform itself couple times when its hot and hits contour. It will return to normal though.
    Rupes 21 MK3 | Rupes 15 MK3 | Rupes Duetto | Rupes Mini | Rupes Nano iBrid | Rupes LH19E

Post Thanks / Like

Don`t get the MF pads attraction.

MF by nature is a non-cutting material which absorbs product away from the surface.

Why use them for compounding (probably why Meguiar`s dropped theirs).

I use the 3.5" ThinPro pads and for cut the grey pad works great on a 3" DA (not kidding on this it really lets the 3" DA spin much much better).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrispyGP2001 View Post
    Don`t get the MF pads attraction.

MF by nature is a non-cutting material which absorbs product away from the surface.

Why use them for compounding (probably why Meguiar`s dropped theirs).

I use the 3.5" ThinPro pads and for cut the grey pad works great on a 3" DA (not kidding on this it really lets the 3" DA spin much much better).
    Have you tried them (microfiber pads)? They cut fast, even on a Porter Cable. Meguires only discontinued their 3 inch pads, not the 5 and 6 inch pads. Try their microfiber system and I guarantee you will find microfiber pads to be one of your new favorites. Try a cutting pad with Meg`s D300 to compound trashed paint. Give a Meg`s finishing microfiber pads a try with CarPro Essence on paint that is not perfect, where you need to remove/fill a few scratches. Microfiber pads were made to make the job get done faster. They are best for production detailing, but the hobbiest Detailer can get a lot of mileage out of a microfiber pad too. Oh yeah, they last longer than most foam pads too making them economical. That`s my take and attraction.

Post Thanks / Like

MF pads cut very well for me, even compared to wool. It`s the "product does the cutting while the pad merely facilitates it" approach and it leaves far less to correct when finishing.

I see no evidence that the MF draws product away from the surface being worked any more than other pad media.

No wool-lint. No product too deep into foam to clean out readily; MF is an absolute dream to keep clean using compressed air.

All win, in the opinion of this guy who used wool for aggressive work plenty of times over the last 4 decades and still uses foam for many things. Not hating on those, in fact I still find the Meguiar`s burgundy foam Cutting Pads are my choice for some jobs.

Post Thanks / Like

The 3" BOSS MF pads are great and are now my go to pads since 3M...I mean "Meguiar`s" discontinued them. I think the Megs had more cut but the BOSS finish better IMO and are great with contours.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    The 3" BOSS MF pads are great and are now my go to pads since 3M...I mean "Meguiar`s" discontinued them. I think the Megs had more cut but the BOSS finish better IMO and are great with contours.
    exactly the info i`m looking for. thanks rasky! have you by chance used lake country MF 3"?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donbeezy View Post
    exactly the info i`m looking for. thanks rasky! have you by chance used lake country MF 3"?
    Yes. They appear very similar to the Megs pads with a slightly firmer foam material. I only had one of each size but the MF seemed to get matted down more easily and I preferred the Megs/BOSS pads more. While the firmer material will likely result in a slight increase of cut, it comes at the expense of more vibration transferring through and it doesn`t contour as well IMO. I do plan to use the 1" and 2" pads for my Nano though.
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information