Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3" MF pads

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3" MF pads

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Yes. They appear very similar to the Megs pads with a slightly firmer foam material. I only had one of each size but the MF seemed to get matted down more easily and I preferred the Megs/BOSS pads more. While the firmer material will likely result in a slight increase of cut, it comes at the expense of more vibration transferring through and it doesn`t contour as well IMO. I do plan to use the 1" and 2" pads for my Nano though.
    thanks rasky. waiting for buff and shine uro fibers. hopefully someone can beat the megs pad

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Have you tried them (microfiber pads)? They cut fast, even on a Porter Cable. Meguires only discontinued their 3 inch pads, not the 5 and 6 inch pads. Try their microfiber system and I guarantee you will find microfiber pads to be one of your new favorites. Try a cutting pad with Meg`s D300 to compound trashed paint. Give a Meg`s finishing microfiber pads a try with CarPro Essence on paint that is not perfect, where you need to remove/fill a few scratches. Microfiber pads were made to make the job get done faster. They are best for production detailing, but the hobbiest Detailer can get a lot of mileage out of a microfiber pad too. Oh yeah, they last longer than most foam pads too making them economical. That`s my take and attraction.
    Agreed, I have not tried them so I should not knock them (which I wasn`t just stating an opinion).

I am a hobbyist so production detailing does not apply.

My DD doesn`t have any trashed paint so don`t really need a heavy cut.

I think it comes down to personal comfort zone so whatever "floats your boat".

Post Thanks / Like

No harm, no foul, lol. I may be one of Meguires microfiber pads biggest fans. Mike Phillips doesn`t like them much either. To each their own.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    No harm, no foul, lol. I may be one of Meguires microfiber pads biggest fans. Mike Phillips doesn`t like them much either. To each their own.
    I really like Megs MF cut pads. When I learned that they discontinued the 3" versions, I searched and searched. Eventually gave up, and stocked up on the 5" versions! (just in case)
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    I really like Megs MF cut pads. When I learned that they discontinued the 3" versions, I searched and searched. Eventually gave up, and stocked up on the 5" versions! (just in case)
    Me too! The day I heard they were being discontinued I started trying to find some. It was like they fell off the face of the earth. No one had them in stock. Not even ebay, where you can find almost anything. Meg`s D114 was similar, but I did find some on Amazon for a high price. I still don`t understand why they kept the 5 inch and the 6 inch sizes and discontinued the 3 inch. It`s not like they quit making the microfiber material, they just quit cutting them smaller. There is actually more profit in the smaller sizes. Now there are more 3 inch polishers than ever.
    Likes JustJesus, donbeezy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrispyGP2001 View Post
    Don`t get the MF pads attraction.

MF by nature is a non-cutting material which absorbs product away from the surface.

Why use them for compounding (probably why Meguiar`s dropped theirs).

I use the 3.5" ThinPro pads and for cut the grey pad works great on a 3" DA (not kidding on this it really lets the 3" DA spin much much better).

Just tried the black polishing MF from B&S . Really nice product.

You mention ThinPro, have you tried the Purple LC Lowpro ones yet ? I only have 2 so far. Will be getting more.
    Nice med/heavy cut, these I liked ! For a foam.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information