Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Maintaining Poly wax

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    Griots spray wax. Used to maintain and a great drying aid. There seems to be some confusion between speed shine/spray on wax. Spray on wax is to be used after each wash. Speed shine between washes.

From GRIOTS...Griot`s Garage Speed Shine Detailer should still be used between washes, but Spray-On Wax should be used immediately after each wash. Griot`s Garage Spray-On Wax is meant primarily for clean cars. Used as a drying aid, it helps prevent water spots.
    Dead on. Spray-On Wax is the preferred drying aid. Speed Shine doesn`t leave anything behind but it will help with flashing during the drying process. Spray-On Wax will maintain Poly Wax during the drying process though.
    Bill from Griot`s Garage

www.griotsgarage.com - Have fun in your garage!
    Likes The Guz, felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OneQuickGT1 View Post
    Additionally, if I used speed shine as a drying aid during my first wash, would it still be safe to apply a second coat of poly wax after?
    Since Speed Shine doesn`t leave anything behind, you`d be safe to apply another coat of poly wax.
    Bill from Griot`s Garage

www.griotsgarage.com - Have fun in your garage!
    Likes The Guz, felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griot`s Garage View Post
    Speed Shine doesn`t leave anything behind...
    Huh, wonder if they`ve changed it. When I was using it (many, MANY gallons, starting back when it was still called Fast Shine), it definitely left stuff behind: I`d use SpeedShine to clean off a bird-bomb and the area where I used it would bead/feel differently from surrounding areas that were SpeedShine-free; do half a panel with it as a drying aid and that half would bead differently from the other half; etc. etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dellinger View Post
    I wouldn`t go so far to say that it will last 8 months... maybe in a very mild climate and always garaged.

I have tested and 4 winter months seems to be it. It applies awesome, smells awesome, looks awesome, gloss stays around for an extended time but I am not sure if it is designed to be a sheeting sealant or a beading sealant. Just some funky water behavior... not a bad thing but just confused me when observing it`s performance.
    It does like two layers, 24 hours apart if possible. Self cleaning... eh, seems to be comparable to any average sealant. Bird bombs haven`t seemed to be an issue for this product... spring is finally here in my local and the birds are bombing, lol, and I don`t have time to wipe them off my own vehicles.

I would say it competes well with 845 and Meg`s ULW (and I mention those because most people have a working knowledge with those products.)
    Thats what I find also, works great w/ a nice binging shine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Huh, wonder if they`ve changed it. When I was using it (many, MANY gallons, starting back when it was still called Fast Shine), it definitely left stuff behind: I`d use SpeedShine to clean off a bird-bomb and the area where I used it would bead/feel differently from surrounding areas that were SpeedShine-free; do half a panel with it as a drying aid and that half would bead differently from the other half; etc. etc.
    I`m with you on this one. In fact, I`ve heard from GG support that it has trace amounts of carnauba in it. *shrug*

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TGates View Post
    I`m with you on this one. In fact, I`ve heard from GG support that [SpeedShine] has trace amounts of carnauba in it. *shrug*
    That`s what I`d always thought and I probably got that from their (earlier) ad-copy.

I mean...it`s *OBVIOUS* that it leaves something behind, something that beads differently from any LSP I`ve ever used it on top of and that makes bare paint start beading (and feel slicker) whereas it did *not* prior to the application. Wax/LSP roof of car...leave in garage for a few days...treat small area of roof with SpeedShine, spray with water...SpeedShined area beads differently.

When it "goes bad" (one of the very few products that ever has for me..) I see "wax-like stuff" floating around in it. Strain that stuff out and inspect it- it`s wax-like...Such stuff never shows up with a "cleaner" QD like M34, which just turns from opaque and pink to clear and orange. (Even M34 leaves a little something behind.)

And yeah...I *DO* still have a lot of EF Clear Pearl to use up! I gotta resist the temptation to use IUDJ all the time lest I never use all these [freakin`] QDs I`ve, uhm...accumulated.

Post Thanks / Like

I`d do another coating of poly wax....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
    I`d do another coating of poly wax....
    That`s what I`d do too.

And it appears the discussion of whether SpeedShine leaves stuff behind is gonna die on the vine...I`m still curious whether they`ve changed it since this is simply an obvious case of two different takes on something, and with the SpeedShine I have it`s blatantly obvious that it leaves stuff behind..you can see/feel/observe water behavior/etc. and it`s perfectly clear that the treated area is completely different from untreated adjacent areas.

Heh heh, deja vu all over again..this exact same came up with Meguiar`s M134 Fast Finish too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information