Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: kinda feel let down....

Quote Originally Posted by grungy View Post
    This makes no sense why they would supply a spare set of brushes, not allow the user to change them (plus they don`t even work!) and then replace the entire machine. Somethin` not adding up here.. just my $0.02
    Not really. Ever see most vehicle powertrain and engine warranties?

Most won`t cover a timing belt so people grenade the engine, then they cover the replacement cost of the engine instead. I`ve seen it numerous times.
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

the rep just called me about this (didn`t say he saw it here or not, just regarding the emails I had sent it to someone else)

basically, because I am a professional, I do put more use on it, not a big deal IMO when all my warranty claims from them on previous machines were from simple brush replacements, not because of the machine breaking apart, or it sparking inside like my most recent one did. That was a first REAL WARRANTY issue I would have to have claimed for a broken machine.

I told him my issue with them not sending out brushes as I can change them myself. I was taking a working DA, taking the brushes out of it and trying them in the dead polisher and the polisher would fire up no problem, so that`s how I knew it was just the brushes wearing out and the reason why I kept asking them to send me new brushes instead of a brand new machine every time. Tried working with them, didn`t go my way, oh well, I sent in the machine and got a new machine and extra brushes in the end each time. He said its because when people open up electronics, there is no control it all gets put together correctly and then comes back in with more issues...ok I get that, but damn it, I can replace brushes just fine and I would like there to be a 5 minute fix rather than a 2 week turn around.

I`m not arguing I got my use out of the machines, that is not the point. A LIFETIME WARRANTY as they have is the issue, and then they don`t honor it because I use the machine more than a DIY guy when it was labeled a Professional tool. As mentioned, maybe a stipulation stating the warranty is good for 1 year or two years when in commercial use would be a good thing to have on their end.

The rep did offer me a solution and if I didn`t already have a BOSS 21 (awesome machine) then I would have taken him up on it, but for now, a credit will be given for the machine towards a new BOSS, but no longer a 6". Fair enough for me, I`ll cash in when the time comes. Kudos for the customer service from either craig or chris, whomever it was (I forget)
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JBM View Post
    If they sold brushes this would have been his first warranty claim.
    exactly

Post Thanks / Like

First off Eric, I apologize for this situation. We take it very seriously when someone is not happy with a product or our service.

I was just brought up to speed by customer service and can shed some light on what was communicated to you and offer a resolution.

Due to the number of tools that were returned and the condition they were in when we received them, it was determined that the 6" Random Orbital was not the right fit for the whatever they were used for or however they were used. A lot of professionals on this forum use the 6" for a number of different reasons, one being that it`s covered for life against defects. The rigors of professional use will speed up wear and impact the lifespan of a tool, which our warranty does not include (Normal Wear and Tear). That being said, as I`m sure some people on this forum can personally attest to, that hasn`t stopped us on many, many occasions from honoring a warranty replacement on items that are just worn out from normal (or in a professional setting, not so normal) use.

Trust me, I know it seems counter-intuitive to send back a machine for a new when only the brushes need changing. This machine is used by people of all levels of technical expertise. Since this machine is designed with the brushes internally, we cannot be sure in all cases that the brushes will be installed correctly and that the machine will be put back together correctly. Obviously this is not much of a concern with the present company, but sending a new machine ensures we can continue to provide the lifetime warranty to that customer.

Many years ago, our policy was not to offer replacement brushes. Brushes are available for purchase from Griot`s Garage or your preferred online distributor. We are working on a replacement guide to aid in the replacement, which will be available in coming weeks.

In this case, it was and is our determination that this tool is not the right tool for whatever they`re being used for and however they are being used. For example, if we sold brake pads and someone kept cooking their brakes and returning them, at some point we`d just recommend different brake pads for everyone`s sake.

I`m having our customer service manager give you a call here shortly to discuss giving you full credit for your 6" Random Orbital towards The BOSS G15 or G21 (G15 would probably be a better fit as an alternative). Edit: which apparently already happened!
    Bill from Griot`s Garage

www.griotsgarage.com - Have fun in your garage!
    Thanks The Driver thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

"trust me, I know it seems counter-intuitive to send back a machine for a new when only the brushes need changing. This machine is used by people of all levels of technical expertise. Since this machine is designed with the brushes internally, we cannot be sure in all cases that the brushes will be installed correctly and that the machine will be put back together correctly. Obviously this is not much of a concern with the present company, but sending a new machine ensures we can continue to provide the lifetime warranty to that customer."

OK, that makes sense. If they were externally accessible as I thought they might be, then my comment seemed spot on. I stand corrected and thank Griot`s for pointing this out to the forum
    Learning tips and tricks from fellow board members since 2009
    Likes Griot's Garage liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like they`ve gotten you taken care of. I`m sure many people appreciate you bringing this issue to light.
    This just reinforces everything I`ve heard about Griots CS- I will have no problem buying from them in the future.
    Likes RaysWay liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

An easy fix for Griots would be to have a "limited lifetime warranty" that spells out what is and what is not covered. If it says "lifetime" then I would expect a lifetime of swaps. In truth it is not a lifetime warranty unless you don`t use it, then of course the tool will last forever. I see Griots tools being favored because of their "lifetime warranty" and this is a good thread to remind folks that your "lifetime" may not match the manufacturers "lifetime". As always, buyer beware.
    Likes ascarbo27 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

As a clarification, our Lifetime Warranty, as stated HERE, is against defect. Things wear out over time during normal use and those things are, as the warranty is written, not covered. BUT, as many of you have probably experienced and despite logic sometimes, we honor the warranty anyway. Do some people take advantage of that? Yes. But that`s the price we`re willing to pay to continue to deliver the highest level of customer service.
    Bill from Griot`s Garage

Post Thanks / Like

I hope this thread further instilling confidence in Griot`s. I`ve read so much good regarding this company backing their products that I was surprised to see this thread pop up. Hoping everything works out for the best here and maybe the OP will actually end up with a product that both meets his needs and that he likes even better than the previous machines.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

thanks...I guess from the get go it would have been simpler to state "carbon brush wear is not covered under warranty". Just a thought as I was unaware of that as I don`t read warranty info on anything ever, just like most don`t, but rather will just call the company up and figure it out with a live person.

If you can provide a source to buy brushes for the 6" since its not a warranty issue, and I no longer care about warranty anyway as I will not get it covered, I would appreciate it!

I have the 21 and like it...even though its not a lifetime warranty, LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post
    thanks...I guess from the get go it would have been simpler to state "carbon brush wear is not covered under warranty". Just a thought as I was unaware of that!

If you can provide a source to buy brushes for the 6" since its not a warranty issue, and I no longer care about warranty anyway as I will not get it covered, I would appreciate it!

I have the 21 and like it...even though its not a lifetime warranty, LOL.
    Eric,

A new set of brushes are already in the mail as of this morning. They`re going priority so you should see them in a few days.

I will fully admit that currently there is ambiguity on this brushes/warranty issue that we are still sorting out. We are still working on the replacement procedure document and finalizing a few other details. We now have brushes available for $5 which can be purchased as spares or replacements. We will still take care of it for people though.

AAAAAND, the G21 is covered under the same Lifetime Warranty against defect. ADDITIONALLY, The BOSS tools have a 2-year warranty against wear. It`s additional support on top of the warranty against defect.

Thank you for your patience, Eric!
    Bill from Griot`s Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griot`s Garage View Post

I`m having our customer service manager give you a call here shortly to discuss giving you full credit for your 6" Random Orbital towards The BOSS G15 or G21 (G15 would probably be a better fit as an alternative). Edit: which apparently already happened!

Awesome. Great customer service

Post Thanks / Like

Replacing brushes in a poisher is a no brainer and I belleive even the average guy can do this without getting into trouble. That said, this assumes that the brushes are the only problem. I`ve also seen the armatures with burn marks on them when the brushes stick. For many, this is also a fairly easy matter to fix by using steel wool or a fine sand paper to clean it up. I can however see where Griot`s would want the ability to look at the entire machine to ensure that it works properly. Some might be intimidated tearing the machine down further to clean the armature up.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Replacing brushes in a poisher is a no brainer and I belleive even the average guy can do this without getting into trouble. That said, this assumes that the brushes are the only problem. I`ve also seen the armatures with burn marks on them when the brushes stick. For many, this is also a fairly easy matter to fix by using steel wool or a fine sand paper to clean it up. I can however see where Griot`s would want the ability to look at the entire machine to ensure that it works properly. Some might be intimidated tearing the machine down further to clean the armature up.
    Having worked in a mechanical field (pinsetters) as well as go through school for automotive mechanics, I`ve seen first hand that there are people out there I wouldn`t trust to change batteries in a flashlight. Let alone brushes in a motor
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail
    Likes RaskyR1, BlkToy14 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
    Having worked in a mechanical field (pinsetters) as well as go through school for automotive mechanics, I`ve seen first hand that there are people out there I wouldn`t trust to change batteries in a flashlight. Let alone brushes in a motor
    I certainly won`t argue that point. I worked in the automotive repair field for over 25 years and there are many that have no business picking up a screwdriver. I`ve spent my share of time fixing their fixes but I did say the average guy.

This isn`t the same polisher but I think it`s a pretty good representation of a polisher. Some with the external plastic retaining caps are even easier.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Thanks Stokdgs, rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information