Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Here it is! BOSS - Best of Show System!

Quote Originally Posted by MooreImpressive View Post
    I didn`t really mean it like that. what I basically meant was, if they got the name BOSS trademarked, surely they also patented it, as well.
    You can`t patent a name, that`s what trademarks are for. As I noted earlier, there are a lot of misconceptions about patents, apparently you are a victim of a few of them.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe it`s :

Patent = Product/Design.
    Trademark= Name/Term.
    Likes baby50 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by autoconcierge View Post
    Who was bought cheap? .....................be specific. Now onto debunking some of the knee jerk reactions and plain misinformed statements.

. Is the Rupes machine made in the Midwest USA?, thought it was Italy
    . Rupes liquids are made by someone else not in house(Which is perfectly fine to do btw)
    . The pricepoint imo is high for the Griots machines and I said as much in conjunction with my evaluations of all the products tested sent to me
    . Flex is NOW owned by a CHINESE company................ so how much longer do you think the Flex products will be made in Germany
    . Did you know almost all the coatings guys utilize are made in Asia sans two of the popular offerings (OCP/Gloss coat USA - C.A.R Bulletproof USA)
    . 95 % of all microfiber towels are made in China with the balance of towels in Korea/Japan

In the US I was the first guy to get a Rupes 21(Which is much ado over nothing as guys in Europe had them and were using them already) the washer mod was a invention of Kevin Brown period, in fact there was a backlash against the washer initially from the maker Rupes and a certain person in the Midwest who after watching how well this made the machine perform changed course 180 degrees and was one of the factors I blew this guy up over on a FB detailers page.

I chuckle as there was so many guys who said similar things about the Rupes machines when they were introduced, one detailer in Long Island comes to mind .................xxxxxing about the pricepoint, stating as fact the machine could NOT be better than a Flex blah blah blah. The blatant me 2 culture on the forums is so comical to watch, instead of waiting to see how certain products will perform they opine ignorant stuff.

I have also watched with mouth open, how guys can be swayed by silliness......................... certain famous detailer who uses Rupes and touts it`s amazing properties and when the relationship goes south goes BACK to a rotary as it is better(Unfriended & blocked this guy on FB the minute I saw this as I almost blew him up over this) and MANY guys supported this!!! and said yeah Rupes sucks rotary is MUCH BETTER which is a laugh because many of those guys who said that cannot cut and finish a car with a rotary(I did for many years before DA machines came along).

Will I be getting rid of my four Rupes machines??? no, and I was a tester for this product line(Griots) as I tested for Meguiars and 3D/HD collectively when they introduced their new product lines and Meg`s also had detractors from the peanut gallery with the D300 microfiber system.......................... do not remember 3d/HD catching any flack over Adapt/polish etc.........

How about letting any product line flourish or flop based upon performance, I like the BOSS machines as they feel good in your hands and the trigger allows feathering when correcting and or polishing. Another feature I like is the indent on the top of the machine as when you are done with a pass and set the machine down as the pad is still spinning it will stay upright and not flop around violently as the Rupes machine does.

To answer Dave Fermani, all large throw machine wear out pads sooner especially foam pads and in my observation the Griots machines did not wear out the pads any faster. I had pre-production testing machines and I felt the Griots machines needed a little more power and said so in my eval sheets plus I voiced this opinion, so when I use the final production model I will see how they perform. The backing plates are very good as are the pads.

My favorite liquid is the fast correcting cream, the first version sent to me worked very well as it cuts defects and dusts very little and the citrus smell was a nice by product but not a deal breaker as performance is my concern................. it wipes off the panel you are working on easily and those are the weak points of M101 dust and grabby wipe off performance on certain paints(M101 is still the cutting defects champ by far and is outstanding) the later version of the fast correcting cream is even better imo.

As for the machine looking exactly like the Rupes yes it is true, and had I had the funds to make a machine the design would have been a sharp departure from the intended competition in every sense. There I have clarified some things as I HAVE USED this system and can give a informed opinion but it is still a opinion at the end of the day.
    In case you are wondering I answered your question

It musta gotten clipped

Post Thanks / Like

Good one The bigger motor is selling point for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    You can`t patent a name, that`s what trademarks are for. As I noted earlier, there are a lot of misconceptions about patents, apparently you are a victim of a few of them.
    you`re misunderstanding me. I`ll just stop. I`m not a player in this machines game anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MooreImpressive View Post
    you`re misunderstanding me. I`ll just stop. I`m not a player in this machines game anyway.
    I understood what you were saying. It would seem logical that if you were taking the time to trademark the name and actually had a product that qualified that you would also apply for the patent.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes MooreImpressive liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    In case you are wondering I answered your question

It musta gotten clipped
    I saw it, that member is a good guy so it really was not needed. Here is a plan............. stop speculating until you know what you are talking about.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post
    Dislikes Trouble disliked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    I understood what you were saying. It would seem logical that if you were taking the time to trademark the name and actually had a product that qualified that you would also apply for the patent.
    But that`s the point, not every product is patented nor is patentable. Are the Rupes machines covered by any patents? I don`t know; I went down to look at my Flex manual and the machine itself, and I see no indications of patents (that doesn`t mean there aren`t any on that machine).

Patents are for inventions, or improvements to inventions. Patents last for 20 years (used to be less) and you need to apply for patents in each country you want to be protected in. You don`t have to patent anything that you invent, and by the same token nothing is automatically "patented". Meaning that you can invent something novel that is eminently patentable, but never patent it--and it might be copied or it might not, you might build it or you might not. I`d wager the majority of patents never even result in products.

Rupes could have 100 patents on their large throw machines--in Italy. That patent protection wouldn`t prevent me from exactly copying the machine and selling it in a country where Rupes didn`t bother to patent it because they felt there was no market there. Patents cost money and take time. And if someone infringes on your patent, you have to know about it and have the money and time to prosecute a case, in order to actually do something about it, it has to be proven.

And all this outcry is somewhat comical, how many of you took a generic medication today? Well, all of you are benefitting from an expired patent. Whatever.

Post Thanks / Like

Here it is! BOSS - Best of Show System!

I think why this is going south is because the appearance is Griots is offering a "Made in China" polisher at a "Made in Europe" price tag.

The perception may be its a bit of a price gouge... If these polishers were like a hundred bucks less - I don`t think too many people would mind "Made in China". As it stands, they are priced at more than twice as much as what their GG6 can be obtained for.

If Rupes came out with a $700 polisher - you`d see complaining too. For me, I`ll just stick with Rupes. It`s a proven system.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    All the negative Griots comments crack me up. Sure they copied the large throw design of the Rupes and then made improvements to it.

When they upgraded the PC and came out with the GG did people jump up and scream rip off??

Now that polisher is touted as a proven DA polisher with a company that stands behind a its products. I have no doubt the G21 and G15 will impress.

The prelim tests from some of the best Detailers in the industry have all been positive. What more do you need ??

Buy one and try it for yourself. Until then quit speculating on this and that until you have actual hands on experience with the product.

I never tested it.... They should have read my title, sent me one for testing.

As far as the rest of your post Pat, that makes too much sense for most people
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Lenin purportedly said, "The Capitalists will sell us the rope with which we will hang them."
    Per several other posters on this thread I`m simply not going to buy a PRC-made product when there are alternatives from non-authoritarian countries especially at or near the same price. I recognize that there are PRC manufactured parts in almost everything these days but where the opportunity exists I buy US, Japan, European and Korean designed and assembled products. I`m not asking anyone to boycott the PRC or putting myself on any kind of moral pedestal but I do think people need to think about the broader implications of what they buy.
    If the BOSS was vastly better than the Rupes or only $200 it might be a struggle to stick with my convictions but at this price the decision is no-brainer for me.
    Likes Tpr1634 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LostHighway View Post
    Lenin purportedly said, "The Capitalists will sell us the rope with which we will hang them."
    Per several other posters on this thread I`m simply not going to buy a PRC-made product when there are alternatives from non-authoritarian countries especially at or near the same price. I recognize that there are PRC manufactured parts in almost everything these days but where the opportunity exists I buy US, Japan, European and Korean designed and assembled products. I`m not asking anyone to boycott the PRC or putting myself on any kind of moral pedestal but I do think people need to think about the broader implications of what they buy.
    If the BOSS was vastly better than the Rupes or only $200 it might be a struggle to stick with my convictions but at this price the decision is no-brainer for me.
    amen............

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    I`m waiting to voice an opinion until I`ve tried it. It might be a while but I`d like to give it a shot.
    Yea, being I have a Rupes 21 & 15 I`m not sure when I will get around to one. I might pick up a 15 open box towards the end of the summer. I do love griot`s and the NSK bearing are badass, my Volvo`s truck suspension can only handle nsk without destroying them in a month.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    I think why this is going south is because the appearance is Griots is offering a "Made in China" polisher at a "Made in Europe" price tag.

The perception may be its a bit of a price gouge... If these polishers were like a hundred bucks less - I don`t think too many people would mind "Made in China". As it stands, they are priced at more than twice as much as what their GG6 can be obtained for.

If Rupes came out with a $700 polisher - you`d see complaining too. For me, I`ll just stick with Rupes. It`s a proven system.
    I think this is pretty accurate. If it were priced 50-100 bucks cheaper you wouldn`t be hearing much negativity at all
    www.facebook.com/houseofwaxdetailing
    Likes Angus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have been looking forward to this time. When someone would come out with an updated version of a long through that would have the warranty and power required. Will I get rid of my Rupes15? Most likely no. But I will consider this new G21 for my new long throw option if I decided to go that way. Especially with the warranty.
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread Information