Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I went to my local Sam`s Club yesterday, and of course, immediately went to the automotive section. Even though there is really nothing else I need right now, I still found something to buy!

They have a 12-pack of 16"x16" "Detailing Solutions Microfiber Towels" for $2.81. Yes. $2.81. Admittedly, I was skeptical, so I grabbed two 12-packs and headed for home. They are blue in color, and not AS soft as the 18-pack for $9.98 that Sam`s sells. But, I gave them the CD test, and they passed. Then, I washed all 24 and hung them out to dry. The stitching on the seam where the tages were ran a bit, but that`s ok. After they dried, I applied yet another coat of UPP to my `01 Taurus, and used one of them to wipe and buff with.

I didn`t see any marring at all, though the Harvest Gold Metallic color on the Taurus is great for hiding things like that. I`m certainly going to use them on wheels/windows/interiors, and will probably continue to use them on light-colored cars.

At less than 25 cents each, you can`t go wrong. Spend $10, and you`ll have close to 50 of them!

-DavidM

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought the same towels at Sams club about 2 months ago, they were on sale at $4.81 a pack and i thought that was a deal. Hell my Sams club only has the yellow ones now and they are $9.98 a pack. I have had absolutely no problems with these pads and marring. For a cheap towel they do a great job. I cant see spending big dollars on Microfiber towels, if thats the case i`ll go back to terry towels. Sams has those too.

Good luck,

Sellncars

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah, the blue hometex mf`s are very nice/plush and i haven`t had any problems with them thus far. :up

Post Thanks / Like
    I have some of the yellow towels as well, and haven`t had any problems with them marring. They did lint fairly bad, but after 2 washes, that problem has gone away as well.

For these prices, I`m going to be loaded up on microfiber!

Post Thanks / Like
    are pakshak, excel, lake country, winners circle not any better than these?!?

from what you guys are saying, theres no big difference between high end and off the shelf stuff?

bought a pack of blue ones from Sams, 18 pack for $9.00 sounds about right...

now that im `serious` about detailing i figured these would only work as rags ie: windows, plastics, tires, quick detailing before shows etc...

any opinions?!?!?!

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn`t let those towels near my paint, but I have black and it will show the slightest imperfections. For some it`s a matter of preference and for other like myself, it`s a matter of comfort. I know my PakShak towels don`t scratch. They can be washed over and over and will never scratch. The Sams towels can be washed a few times but they soon thin and the next thing ya` know, your paints marred all to hell... ask me how I know!

It`s like anything else really. DO you buy for quality or expense. When it comes to towels, I buy for quality. When it came to a rotary buffer, I bought the HF due to expense.

JJ
    Umm! BLACK

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by J.J.

The Sams towels can be washed a few times but they soon thin and the next thing ya` know, your paints marred all to hell

i`ve washed mine many of times with no thinning or issues at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by J.J.

I know my PakShak towels don`t scratch. They can be washed over and over and will never scratch. The Sams towels can be washed a few times but they soon thin and the next thing ya` know, your paints marred all to hell... ask me how I know!

JJ

tell us how you know :up\

I bought some from speciality motoring and the ones from sam`s are thicker and feel better. They dry better but I am guessing the other ones are like 80/20 combo. the ones at sam`s are 75/25 and are great for QD, window washing and removing polish/wax.

I am sure ANY microfiber towel will scratch or marr your paint if pressed enought.
    03 VW Passat 1.8 turbo

01 Eddie Bauer Expedition

Post Thanks / Like
    The difference between the cheaper towels and the premium towels in the number of fibers that make up the towel. The plusher towels contain thousands more micro fibers per square inch than the less plush towels.

That being said, I just picked up two packs of the blue towels last night! I bought some of the yellow ones last year and they seem to be a lot more plusher than the blue ones. I`ll use the blue ones for windows, trim and interior work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 03Black1.8t

the ones from sam`s are thicker and feel better. They dry better. the ones at sam`s are great for QD, window washing and removing polish/wax.

I am sure ANY microfiber towel will scratch or marr your paint if pressed enought.

exactly!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just my .02, but I felt the ones at Sam`s and they don`t even come close to the ones I have from the various popular vendors. The reason I say it like that is because I have some from pretty much everyone, but I only buy the premium ones and stay away from the cheaper ones.

I actually find the cheap ones from Autopia *popular* vendors to be about the same as the ones from Sam`s, but the premium ones are no comparison.

Post Thanks / Like
    The PakShak Ultra Plush towels are absolutely incredible. I didn`t know they made towels so thick and plush. THose of you who believe the Costco, Sam`s and Wal-Mart towels are great, you don`t know what you`re missing. That`s all I`m trying to say. IF you ever tried/ saw one, you`d change too!

JJ
    Umm! BLACK

Post Thanks / Like
    not to start a :argue i have both sams club (blue mf`s) and the more expensive mf`s and they have BOTH passed the cd test (among a few other tests i initiated) and i havent had any problems with EITHER marring or scratching. any mf (plush or thin) can scratch if used (is a big part of it) in correctly, imo.

Post Thanks / Like
    imacarnut,

Don`t worry, you won`t start an argument because we are all adults here and a little bit of debate and/or discussion is healthy and fun at the same time. That`s what Autopia is all about, discussing various opinions.

I don`t know about cd`s, but you are correct about using products incorrectly causing negative results.

Do you own any ultra fine mf`s from pakshak, ultras from autofiber, or ultra towels from yosteve? These are my favorite towels, and are also the ones I am referring to when comparing.

Post Thanks / Like
    The cheap Sam`s club MF are obviously not as good as the towels we get from the on line vendors but I don`t expect them to be. They are wheel,door and trunk jamb, engine compartment, towels. They are a great value for that type of use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information