Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New $25 Rotary

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, I really like how that looks! I almost wish I had that one, it looks cool, doesn`t have the hand guard, has both the side handle and loop, and is lightweight - 7 lbs. Oh well. I`m happy with the price I got.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/itemdy00.a...1.x=29&I1.y=46

or click here
    Yes, it floats my boat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did anyone try the chicago $25 buffer? On the mercedes board one guy loved it. I would like to hear more opinions. Its even cheap enough for me if it works, lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ended up getting the DeWalt.

Post Thanks / Like
    spree17, I got it, but it`s too dang cold now to start a project. I want to use it first on the wifemobile, and that means springtime.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    What does the DeWalt come with? What accessories will you need to get for it? Does the DeWalt hold any pads as is or do you need a velcro backing pad? I understand the Makita 9227 comes with all the accessories.
    "I think my blood is a Carnauba Prototype"

Post Thanks / Like
    DeWalt comes with nothing basically. You need the backing plate and pads. I got mine from Harbor Freight for $149.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine should be here before the end of the month [January]...Harbor Freight had a really long backorder on it, but it is in transit now, they say.

I talked to the autobody guy where I work and he gave me a few tips and said I could take some body panels to practice on. Hip hip hooray, I already have the velcro backing plate and pads, so I`m all set. If I don`t get a chance to pick up the panel by then, I"m sure I`ll try it out on the counter in the bathroom.
    Yes, it floats my boat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting stuff, I thought....

http://n36sx.wheelsup.org/polish/

I was just browsing around for polishing techniques when I ran across this guy`s page. Look at the second picture...he has what looks like a Vector polisher. I`d have to say if it is good enough for him, it is good enough for me! Look at the mirror he made!

:scared
    Yes, it floats my boat.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered the Makita 9227cx promo kit from www.thetoolwarehouse.net because it took so long for harborfreight to send me my chicago electric. Almost one month later and I just got it today. I`m not even gonna open it up, I already requested to get a return postage for it, so I can return it.

I ordered the chicago electric one month ago and just got it today. I ordered the Makita on Monday and it should arrive tomorrow according to ups.com. Incredible.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got mine, and I`m satisfied. It seems to have enough power, although the head gets warm with a little bit of using it. I suppose that is normal for a tool, though. Maybe it just needs some extra grease.

Any idea what kind of grease?

Anyway, my point is that, even if the HF site doesn`t say $25, you might be able to get it for that.

Harbor Freight Polisher - Item 46507-2UXB $24.99

DeWalt DW849 - Item 37595-8UXH $159.99

Makita 9227C - Item 37642-0UXH $199.99

Sorry, I don`t have the $5 off or Free Shipping coupon numbers. I might be able to find it if someone really wants. If that is the deciding factor for you, though, just tell them that and it might swing...never tried.

You can get an "Attache" if your order is $39.99 or more. It is a nylon brief/laptop case. Not quite sure. Expires May 1, 2004

Coupon # 187-301-200

but apparently you tell them on the phone, "The special gift offer Item 35233-0UXD" Only valid on merchandise in this catalouge.

Good deal?
    Yes, it floats my boat.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m very happy with the DeWalt DW849 rotary I purchased through HarborFreight a year ago, and yes, shipping was slow. The catalog I received from HF early this week has the Makita 9227C priced at $159.99, with an item # of 37642-4XYA. There`s also an interesting Chicago Electric 9.8 amp polisher/sander with electronic variable speed and LCD display listed at $49.99. The item # is 90820-1RBH. The unit weighs 6.6 lbs. and comes with 2 bonnets (1 terry cloth, the other woven), a foam pad, rubber backing pad and 80 grit hook and loop sanding disk. Side handle and flat wrench also included. :up

Post Thanks / Like
    That newer polisher sounds pretty cool. It looks pretty small, and should be powerful. I think I found a link to some info on it [couldn`t find it on the harbor freight site.]

http://www.allproducts.com/tool/yat/...352818562.html

and

http://www.made-in-china.com/prod/sh...od_id=TU3OTE4M
    Yes, it floats my boat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Resurrecting this thread,

I may get a Vector but I`m very confused about backing plates. Ideally I would want plates that accept my velcro LC and Megs pads. Preferably I`d like to get 4,5 and 6" plates that accomodate a polisher like the resurrector? Where would I find them? Do they screw onto these types of polishers
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, maybe I can help...

This is the rotary from harbor-freight, which is supposedly the same as the vector.

Anyway, the connection between the backing plate and the rotary seems to be universal. The pads screw on to the rotary [not in like on the PC].

It comes with a 7" velcro backing plate, which seems to be fine to use, but I don`t have any 7" pads.

I got the 5.5" pad from Top of the Line, and it seems to work good for me. I have 6" Buff & Shine pads and 6.5" Lake Country pads, both purchased from TOL.

In the picture, the pad which is partly yellow is the Velcro backing plate.

Beneath that is this heavy rubber pad....I`m not sure what it is for...maybe to tie the included wool bonnet over. I don`t recommend it.

In that little bag in front of the polisher is the handle, an arbor wrench to keep the rotary from turning while installing the backing plates (which is unnecessary because the rotary actually has a lock button), and an extra pair of brushes.

I finally got up the nerve to use it on my car, and I guess I can say that I dont` know how it can be better. the "soft start" feature is kind of annoying if you`re trying to feather the polisher along, but I`ve learned to live with it.

I did end up with light buffer swirls on my car, though. I guess I gotta improve my technique or product selection.

Any more questions?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Yes, it floats my boat.

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revisiting this thread...

I repeat that I have the Fein and the Chigago. Given the same pad and polish they both do equally well.

$300+ for the Fein and $25 for the Chicago. If it is for your personal use, it becomes a no brainer!

On the other hand, the Fein is lighter, and much more likely to withstand the several hours per day that I subject it to.

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information