Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    If I couldn`t detail, I wouldn`t take appointments.

If my shipping server broke, I wouldn`t take orders.
    PARK AVENUE

- D E T A I L I N G -

Ottawa Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess it was a good thing that I didn`t place an order.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am truly sorry that everybody who has posted there negative experience in the final days of PAC has had to go through this. As somebody who was an employee of PAC until 3 weeks ago, I have some (not all!) insight into the situation and why so many frustrations have occurred.

The server was struck by lightening prior to the announcement that PAC was closing. Unfortunately the wheels were setting in motion, employees for PAC still must get paid, and vendors deserve payment for their merchandise, and customers deserve the timely shipment of their products. Nobody at PAC has ever had to work with a crashed server, and nobody at PAC has had the painful misfortune of closing a business. If the problems that have surfaced would have been know about than I am sure different measures would have been taken.

The problem, as I understand it, is when the server crashed several key functions were lost. It is my understanding that when an order was placed, the server would transfer the data to the warehouse, process the order, handle shipping, subtract the product from inventory, and send out a shipping notifications. Since the server is no longer working, orders have to be downloaded manually, processed manually, pulled from the shelves, weighed by the warehouse crew, then inputted manually for shipping. The problem is that instead of being able to process a series of orders in a a few moments each order takes about 15 minutes. Combine this with a skeleton crew and the problem is expotenital.

To make matters worse, there is no way to check the products that have been ordered and discount them from inventory until the order has been manually downloaded, the warehouse crew has walked to the shelf, and noticed the product is gone. When orders are backed up by a day, it leaves the potential for a lot of orders to be made on products that already spoken for. It is also becomes impossible to track shipping information and near-impossible to notifiy people of when products have shipped.

I am a firm believer that a simple communication could have resulted in a lot less confusion, and therefore a lot less frustration through this whole process. With the single computer being pushed to the max processing orders, even writing an email can take 15 minutes as the CPU is already pushed to max.

Please understand that I am not taking sides here, and can totally understand the frustration that is apparent. I can only try to share some of the information that I have in hopes that it assuages some feelings of confusion and helps explain what it is going on. The same people who built CMA as a company of integrity and customer service are many of the same that are in the back, packing orders in 98 degree heat with no A/C and doing the best they can to give everybody the products they ordered.

Post Thanks / Like
    How anyone could possibly run a business without redundancy and regularly timed backups in such a critical system is beyond me.

Struck by lightning? The server was on-site instead of at a datacenter or hosting facility? Sounds like it was only a matter of time before it failed completely.

Either way, thanks for the insight and sorry about your job

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it`s important to remember here that while the service is subpar, TH001 brings up a good point: **** happens.

Really. I didn`t feel like I was taken advantage of, but was definitely inconvenienced. It sucks to be the guys working filling out orders; but probably more for the owners. In any event, at least those who have read this thread know what is going on.
    :soscared:

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the heads up, just checked my account and it looks like I was charged my full amount, so hopefully all of my items will arrive here (in good working order...)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TH0001
    I am truly sorry that everybody who has posted there negative experience in the final days of PAC has had to go through this. As somebody who was an employee of PAC until 3 weeks ago, I have some (not all!) insight into the situation and why so many frustrations have occurred.

The server was struck by lightening prior to the announcement that PAC was closing. Unfortunately the wheels were setting in motion, employees for PAC still must get paid, and vendors deserve payment for their merchandise, and customers deserve the timely shipment of their products. Nobody at PAC has ever had to work with a crashed server, and nobody at PAC has had the painful misfortune of closing a business. If the problems that have surfaced would have been know about than I am sure different measures would have been taken.

The problem, as I understand it, is when the server crashed several key functions were lost. It is my understanding that when an order was placed, the server would transfer the data to the warehouse, process the order, handle shipping, subtract the product from inventory, and send out a shipping notifications. Since the server is no longer working, orders have to be downloaded manually, processed manually, pulled from the shelves, weighed by the warehouse crew, then inputted manually for shipping. The problem is that instead of being able to process a series of orders in a a few moments each order takes about 15 minutes. Combine this with a skeleton crew and the problem is expotenital.

To make matters worse, there is no way to check the products that have been ordered and discount them from inventory until the order has been manually downloaded, the warehouse crew has walked to the shelf, and noticed the product is gone. When orders are backed up by a day, it leaves the potential for a lot of orders to be made on products that already spoken for. It is also becomes impossible to track shipping information and near-impossible to notifiy people of when products have shipped.

I am a firm believer that a simple communication could have resulted in a lot less confusion, and therefore a lot less frustration through this whole process. With the single computer being pushed to the max processing orders, even writing an email can take 15 minutes as the CPU is already pushed to max.

Please understand that I am not taking sides here, and can totally understand the frustration that is apparent. I can only try to share some of the information that I have in hopes that it assuages some feelings of confusion and helps explain what it is going on. The same people who built CMA as a company of integrity and customer service are many of the same that are in the back, packing orders in 98 degree heat with no A/C and doing the best they can to give everybody the products they ordered.

Thanks for the info TH001!

While this helps me understand the situation a little better I have several issues:

1) The need to triage the server and make some sort of BCP plan (Business Continuity plan) BEFORE announcing CMA was closing their doors. I actually ordered in part as a gesture to help them shut down in an orderly fashion (price on the items I ordered I could have ordered elsewhere for only slightly more).

2) Based on the above BCP, execute orders BY PHONE ALONE, to slow the order rate and allow a more manual process to take place. Internet orders happen at the speed of light, and have the same expectation for fulfillment and shipping (although most in my opinion STILL lag... but that`s another story for another day)

3) Above all, COMMUNICATE the situation with the customers. My payment has already been taken, yet no status at ALL of any kind is given on status of the order. Even what you had posted would have been helpful, with some expectation of WHEN I will know a status (best guess scenario -- tell me 5 days, deliver in 3!) It`s been a week with NO communication!

Customer service is a passion of mine, as I helped build and organization that climbed to the top of it`s market niche, largely based on the service we provided!

Warm regards,

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gencoup3dot8
    Thanks for the info TH001!

While this helps me understand the situation a little better I have several issues:

1) The need to triage the server and make some sort of BCP plan (Business Continuity plan) BEFORE announcing CMA was closing their doors. I actually ordered in part as a gesture to help them shut down in an orderly fashion (price on the items I ordered I could have ordered elsewhere for only slightly more).

2) Based on the above BCP, execute orders BY PHONE ALONE, to slow the order rate and allow a more manual process to take place. Internet orders happen at the speed of light, and have the same expectation for fulfillment and shipping (although most in my opinion STILL lag... but that`s another story for another day)

3) Above all, COMMUNICATE the situation with the customers. My payment has already been taken, yet no status at ALL of any kind is given on status of the order. Even what you had posted would have been helpful, with some expectation of WHEN I will know a status (best guess scenario -- tell me 5 days, deliver in 3!) It`s been a week with NO communication!

Customer service is a passion of mine, as I helped build and organization that climbed to the top of it`s market niche, largely based on the service we provided!

Warm regards,

Mike

I`m pretty sure when you are shutting down a business, you main goal is to dispose of as much products as possible. Customer service and developing a BCP are the last things you think of. Good Monday morning quarterbacking.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yakky
    Good Monday morning quarterbacking.....

Thanks Yakky I just spit my drink up on my keyboard and mouse! Thats a great comment! I didn`t laugh that hard in a while. Who di I send the clean up bill to? lol
    Barry E. Theal
    Presidential Details Of Lancaster PA
    Founder of Americana Global Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got this in a refund (paid via Paypal)

Note from merchant

Per the details of our closeout sale, we may run out of some items. That was the case with the Megs 205 32 oz on you order. We have shipped the balance of the order and this is a refund for the Megs and the decrease in shipping. Regards

I really wanted to get my hands on some 105 (what I ordered, I`m guessing they just mistyped the product number), as I need a good heavy polish. Guess I`ll have to order it somewhere else. Glad I finally got a response, tho.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody knowif they`re actually *closed* for business at this point? What about remaining inventory?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm...any left over inventory might show up in flea markets somewhere.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Theal
    Thanks Yakky I just spit my drink up on my keyboard and mouse! Thats a great comment! I didn`t laugh that hard in a while. Who di I send the clean up bill to? lol

Would you take a 25% off coupon to a once very popular detailing product website? :becky:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D
    Hmm...any left over inventory might show up in flea markets somewhere.

I hope not.... would be great if it went to biglots!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your order during our close-out sale.

However, through an error, you were not charged shipping on your order.

During this sale, our normal shipping rates apply.

Free shipping starts at orders of $500 or rmore.

Your order, being less than that amount, requires an additional shipping charge.

Additionally, an orders requiring multiple boxes will also require additional shipping charges.

Obviously, with this being a close-out sale, we cannot give free shipping at lower amounts as we used to do.

If you would like us to proceed with your order, we can charge your credit card, or send you a PayPal invoice (if you paid via PayPal) to cover the shipping costs.

Should you wish to cancel your order, please let us know. If cancelled, any funds collected will be refunded.

Please respond back to us as quickly as possible as this promo ends tomorrow and all orders will be shipped by Thursday.

Regards

Michael

After receiving this email on 29th. Cancelled my order in 20 minutes later my paypal account has been credited. Dodge the bullet there :woohoo:

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information