Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    I think The puzzle is why he was dropped from the mailing list.

so he wouldn`t order anymore stuff, be dis-satisfied with it and send them back as well... :grinno:

Post Thanks / Like
    I requested a catalog and it arrived within a few days. Very nice catalog.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d somehow missed that this thread was still ongoing after my last post to it...

In all fairness, I have always received good customer service from Griot`s. I think what he was saying is that the rep told him he could send it back for a full refund b/c he was not satisfied. The puzzle is why he was dropped from the mailing list.

Yeah, that`s what happened and other than this situation my customer service from Griot`s has always been exemplary.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky
    I am sure they scrub mailing lists to reduce costs,etc. especially if no orders are placed.

They still send out seasonal/etc. catalogs, even seem to have it figured that some people only order around the holidays. Nah, I`d been *cut* from their list and must`ve had some kind of flag on my account(s). Note that I was still ordering from them regularly too.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl3
    so he wouldn`t order anymore stuff, be dis-satisfied with it and send them back as well...

Yeah, that`s what I figured, and I don`t *really* blame them (even if it did tick me off). It`s hard to read people`s minds and they must`ve figured I was some kind of tool.

Speaking of reading someone`s mind, I genuinely believe that had I sent a missive directly to Richard he woulda sorted the whole thing out. In hindsight I wish I`d done that; he always seemed like a stand-up guy back in the days when he was still answering the phone himself.

Quote Originally Posted by XRL
    The customer service rep told you to send it back? The whole situation confuzzles me.

Frankly, if they`re that bad why not just buy something from a competitor? While I understand the convenience of ordering your stuff all from one place, but I mean it`s not like they sell anything that nobody else makes. And I haven`t really heard anyone raving about any of their products, seems like most of their stuff is just average. Maybe I just don`t know enough and I should go shut my noobie mouth and sit in the corner. *shrug* But if a company like that wasn`t going to work with me and was going to put me on a **** list, I`d go elsewhere.

OK back to my noobie corner I go.

Nah, no noobie-apologies necessary This can be a good learning experience for all of us (myself definitely included).

IMO they wanted me to send back the stuff because they really do want satisfied customers and to know when something they sell doesn`t perform to spec. The rep might`ve heard me say how it was a *lot* of stuff, but he didn`t *hear* me, if you get my meaning

When they got the mountain of stuff back, along with a real *book* documenting my dissatisfaction, I bet it was quite a shock. If others had *not* experienced my problems they might`ve figured I mis-used the stuff or was an idiot or just wanted my money back. E.g., their MFs caused *very* light micromarring on very soft lacquer; probably wouldn`t have been a problem on my Audis.

And IMO some Griot`s stuff is *REALLY* good, truly special stuff. Their Car Wash is (IMO) the best in the business, and their Interior Cleaner and SpeedShine are other products I consider unique. While some of their other stuff is just mediocre (and in some cases worse than that), and some/many things are available elsewhere for less money, all-in-all I have a pretty high regard for their offerings.

And, heh heh, I can`t find their exact BHB anywhere else...sorta surprising.

AND...well, I simply like Richard, cheesy catalog-spiel and all. There are plenty of other people in the industry I like a whole lot less and spending my money with him is OK in my book.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

And IMO some Griot`s stuff is *REALLY* good, truly special stuff. Their Car Wash is (IMO) the best in the business, and their Interior Cleaner and SpeedShine are other products I consider unique. While some of their other stuff is just mediocre (and in some cases worse than that), and some/many things are available elsewhere for less money, all-in-all I have a pretty high regard for their offerings.

People use many factors when judging products. It may be the price, availability (like OTC), cult status, and personal views of the person selling the product, etc. It may not be how the product performances or right off an entire brand due to one less positive experience.

Al
    The Need to Bead

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator, I read a lot of "stuff" on various forums, but none (that come immediately to mind) are as a)informative, b) enjoyable/entertaining

c)bovine-manure-less than yours.

Thank you for your contributions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mr. Clean- Heh heh, we`re a regular mutual admiration society, huh

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky
    People use many factors when judging products. It may be the price, availability (like OTC), cult status, and personal views of the person selling the product, etc. It may not be how the product performances or right off an entire brand due to one less positive experience.

Well, I`d hope that people would put the weight on *objective* criteria I gotta admit I kinda wonder whenever I hear that somebody uses one brand exclusively.

There`s a good book on this subject titled "Predictably Irrational". People do all sorts of goofy things, especially when it comes to spending money.

But something that never gets much mention here is the issue of a vendor`s values. When we patronize somebody we put money in their pocket; if they then use that money in ways that are in conflict with the buyer`s values I see it as money ill-spent. Guess that gets into your "personal views of the person selling the product", but from (what I consider) an objective viewpoint.

Post Thanks / Like
    But something that never gets much mention here is the issue of a vendor`s values. When we patronize somebody we put money in their pocket; if they then use that money in ways that are in conflict with the buyer`s values I see it as money ill-spent. Guess that gets into your "personal views of the person selling the product", but from (what I consider) an objective viewpoint.

I could not agree with you more on this point. Well said and timely.

This past couple of weeks I have spent a lot of time reconnecting with vendors of all sizes that I have not spoken with in a while, or ever. It`s my way of keeping my finger on the pulse of things.

Most companies, big and small, take my call or email. Not that I`m anybody, but I am a voice. How companies treat me is generally a good indicator of how they treat their customers.

I have been snubbed twice by Griot`s Garage, most recently Tuesday this week. What I did learn is that Richard himself is no longer involved in the day-to-day operation of the business. He`s hired a president and cut back to bare-bones management. A sign of the times, perhaps, but no reason not to take an email or a phone call.

All I have to say is :wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been snubbed twice by Griot`s Garage, most recently Tuesday this week. What I did learn is that Richard himself is no longer involved in the day-to-day operation of the business. He`s hired a president and cut back to bare-bones management. A sign of the times, perhaps, but...

Aw geeze...sorry to hear that

Guess it`s no huge surprise that without that ol` (enthusiastic) personal involvement from the top things aren`t so swell, but it didn`t *have* to turn out that way and it still boils down to how individuals behave towards other individuals. Somebody presumable *chose* to ignore you and, well, yeah...if that`s the (new) mindset there then they shouldn`t be surprised if people start ignoring *them*.

What`re the odds that the product end of things might start to slip as well...guess time will tell :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    with their prices so high on most products, they should have the 15% sale more often...

Post Thanks / Like
    Dang. I buy stuff from them all the time and I did not get the email. I JUST bought one of the 3" orbital buffers at the local Complete Garage that sells Griots. Of course, 15% off would not cover all the shipping, so I guess I`m about even considering sales tax.

Post Thanks / Like
    I could not agree with you more on this point. Well said and timely.

This past couple of weeks I have spent a lot of time reconnecting with vendors of all sizes that I have not spoken with in a while, or ever. It`s my way of keeping my finger on the pulse of things.

Most companies, big and small, take my call or email. Not that I`m anybody, but I am a voice. How companies treat me is generally a good indicator of how they treat their customers.

I have been snubbed twice by Griot`s Garage, most recently Tuesday this week. What I did learn is that Richard himself is no longer involved in the day-to-day operation of the business. He`s hired a president and cut back to bare-bones management. A sign of the times, perhaps, but no reason not to take an email or a phone call.

All I have to say is :wavey

This was my point. If someone thinks their products meet their needs, there is no shame in buying them if they ship what you want at a price you are willing to pay. If you want responsiveness on a personal level or managed by some fulfilment center, then there are other buying criteria involved.

Some buy at least cost and others buy based upon the personal relationship of the seller. If one only wants to buy from a seller that sells with a personal touch that is ok, but it should not shade the performance of the actual products sold.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like
    customer service is a BIG priority for me when i do orders with anyone. if they don`t provide it, i shop elsewhere...

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d somehow missed that this thread was still ongoing after my last post to it...

Accumulator, I started using Griot`s products a few years ago, that is where I initually bought an orbital machine. My detailing experience and interest has come a long way using and learning with their products especially with their customer service and informational booklets and videos that I went through before using their products.

Overall, I have been happy with results. It does get expensive, but my rationale is that I don`t mind paying a little more for car care that I can trust. Knowing that their products are not going to do any harm is a huge thing to me for example their wheel cleaner is non-acidic, and their dressings are silicone free.

I haven`t really stepped outside the box because I have been happy with my results. I only use their liquid products besides their orbital machine and pads. You mentioned that aside from a couple of their items, you can buy similar products from other manufacturers. I know they are out there, but I don`t know which ones. I would be open to use or at least consider products that perform at Griot`s level of performance or better that would cost a little bit less. Which products to you consider on the same level or better than Griot`s Garage liquid products? And if considering Griot`s, where can I find better prices if anywhere?

Again, I`m great using theirs, and it is great to be able to order everything from one place especially knowing that there will be no hazards. I realize that I may be missing out on good stuff elsewhere or products that I have not even come across. Any recommendations? Also, is it safe to mix waxes and polishes such as other polishes you may reccomend, then use a Griot`s wax to follow up?

Plus, which products do you find that are maybe moderate, or not such high quality You seem to have experience with their stuff, so this is why I`m picking your brain!

The products I have liked using from them and re-order are: wheel cleaner, speed shine, 1 step sealant, best of show wax (I feel that it is pretty high quality for the price), car wash, rubber cleaner, vinyl and rubber dressing, interior cleaner, leather conditioner, and undercarriage spray. I have other things, including machine polish 3 which I don`t use too much of. Any advice on what else to include into my arsenal of detailing products? It would be nice to save money on products that are of similar quality or better. Thanks for your input, your posts were informative and funny!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information