Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also just got back from Lowes and with the NYC and the Winchester, KY receipt I was able to pick one up for $47.60. They had about 3 or 4 guys talking about it and looking at the receipts, and they would only allow me to purchase one at that price. They still had two left at this store. I wanted to pick up another one one to pass on to someone else, but decided not to push it. I figure the more receipts you bring in the better your luck will be so here is another copy:

I really don`t need another one, but at this price I couldn`t pass it up for a spare.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven`t gone the machine route yet because of horror stories of scuffing paint. I bet it saves alot of time though! What are your suggestions for a NooB just starting to learn machine polishing/buffing. Is it easy to mess things up? Or easy to give it a try? Some tips for a beginner might send me to my local Loews!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can get it for this price, definitely go for it. However, know that you will be spending around the same amount ($40-50) to get a set of pads and a backing plate. Some more money for the products also. I`m going to have a wait some more time before my parents will give me the money to buy those pads. I`ve already spend lots of time convincing them to buy this PC for me But I don`t mind the wait. I`ll just keep thinking about how well the car is going to turn out after I get those Lake Country pads and set of Menzerna polishes.

You don`t have to be scared of using the PC. Read around, and do some research. With the PC, the paint can`t be damaged as easily as you think. With it`s random orbits, the chances of damaging the paint are quite small.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBoxer1
    I haven`t gone the machine route yet because of horror stories of scuffing paint. I bet it saves alot of time though! What are your suggestions for a NooB just starting to learn machine polishing/buffing. Is it easy to mess things up? Or easy to give it a try? Some tips for a beginner might send me to my local Loews!
    BlueBoxer1, I agree with mikebai1990, if you have a Lowes where you can get them to do a price match you should do it. This is a killer deal that might not last very long. Not too long ago members were buying them for about $109, and considered that a pretty fair deal. For another $50 you can get a good backing plate and a starter set of three basic pads.

It used to be said the only way you can damage your paint with the PC is to throw it at your car. While that is a slight exaggeration, the PC is pretty safe to use with just a small amount of common sense. Pick up a PC while you can and then spend some time reading in the Machine Polishing forum.... there is a lot of PC info posted there if you search around a bit. Below is a PC "how to" article from Autopia that will get you started:

Porter Cable 7424 Car Polisher & Buffer - How-to Polish Guide

Note: the 7424 in the article is the same basic machine as the 7336 that is on sale at Lowes. The only differences in the various PC models are the accessories (that you won`t use anyway), and the counterweight. The 7336 comes with a 6" counterweight that many members prefer over the 5" weight in the 7424. A counterweight is only $2 or $3 if you decide you want to try the lighter weight.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty cool stuff. Now considering that new synthetic waxes recommend application through a straight-line back and forth motion rather than through a circular pattern as waxes of old, how does the PC fit into that paradigm? The article says it mimics the circular movement of the hand. I thought circular motions were out these days in favor of back and forth motion application?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBoxer1
    Pretty cool stuff. Now considering that new synthetic waxes recommend application through a straight-line back and forth motion rather than through a circular pattern as waxes of old, how does the PC fit into that paradigm? The article says it mimics the circular movement of the hand. I thought circular motions were out these days in favor of back and forth motion application?
    The main reason they advocate straight vs. circular motions is any marring that gets induced will be less noticeable. It has to do with the way light will refract off a straight scratch vs. a circular scratch.

OK, with that out of the way, your process should be one that does not induce marring no matter what motion you are using. That means only applying product to a clean surface (no dust or dirt), using clean pads, etc.. If I apply something by hand then I will tend to use straight motions, but most of the time I am using a machine (circular) to apply products, and even with a sealant like Zaino I have had very good results.

I feel the PC gives better (more even) coverage and I can apply a thinner coat than doing it by hand. I also feel that waxes and sealants get “worked†into the paint better. One exception that I can think of is Klasse SG which I still apply by hand. Just my 2 cents on the subject. If you have any more questions why don’t you post them in the Machine Polishing forum so this thread doesn’t get too far off topic.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliot Ness
    I feel the PC gives better (more even) coverage and I can apply a thinner coat than doing it by hand.

agreed... :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Went to the Brooklyn Lowes and they were out! Called my Dad who lives in Middletown N.J.

I asked him if he happened to pass by the Lowes thereif he could stop in. Called me this

morn.and told he had the last one in his hand, no box for 41.00(Thanks Dad) Now I can

sleep knowing I have a spare.

Carlos:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadkeeper
    Went to the Brooklyn Lowes and they were out!

WOW! Someone must have loaded up on them, maybe to try and sell them later on Ebay or somewhere. There were about 10 left only 2 days ago.

I hope he asked around first, because the display model is missing you have to ask them for the machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope guys are not doing that - selling these things on ebay. If Lowes hears about this, they may do away with the price match policy. In my opinion, that is abusing the system and possibly ruining it for the rest of us. Let`s not greedy with this deal and screw this up for future buys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the display model was gone. He looked in the storage area up above and the only thing

there was air

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC
    Better approach would be, like Sergei pointed out, if they give you "out of area" reason politely using "Lowe`s is a Lowe`s, prices on tools should be same nationwide within Lowe`s, so all we are doing is price matching within Lowe`s, not Lowe`s with Home Depot on the other side of nation". That`s what helped me. It also helped me I had a copy of another receipt that was in California. But what helps most is if you are dealing with reasonable person whose mood is OK.

they didnt like that approach either. the one store in my 100 miles that had 7 on hand, and they refused to sell it to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    For the three guys that PMed me, I`m sorry I have been sick for a few days and might be for a few more. When I get a chance I`ll take care of it for you.

See I have been sick:

Quote Originally Posted by Bbasso
    SOB!!!

Even tho I`m sick as could be, I`m heading out to lowes to see if I can snatch it up fpr $50 .

I hope it`s worth the drive there in all the madness!
    :sosad
    Rob.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergei
    I hope guys are not doing that - selling these things on ebay. If Lowes hears about this, they may do away with the price match policy. In my opinion, that is abusing the system and possibly ruining it for the rest of us. Let`s not greedy with this deal and screw this up for future buys.
    I doubt that Lowe`s will change their policies because of this one instance as retailers know quite well that sales like this do draw some ammount of "vultures" (unfortunately, such behavior is in "human nature", check this http://autopia.org/forum/car-detaili...tml#post837938) but what I am afraid of is that when good people see their best intentions ending up in "scalping" of members they will stop posting threads like this and therefore community as a whole would pay price because few individuals are greedy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanchou
    they didnt like that approach either. the one store in my 100 miles that had 7 on hand, and they refused to sell it to me.
    Try to see if someone here can help you.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread Information