Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PRB
    WHY are they closing these out? Is Porter Cable going to discontinue or upgrade the machine? I`ve heard rumors, but no official word.

i don`t think porter cable is upgrading to a new version, it`s probably due to the fact that lowes doesn`t sell them as well as their other power tools...

Post Thanks / Like
    Good point: didn`t think of it from that angle

The discussion I`d read previously surrounded the DeWalt-Porter Cable buyout.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PRB
    The discussion I`d read previously surrounded the DeWalt-Porter Cable buyout.

when i spoke to a PC representative, iirc she said that the 7336sp has barely been around for at least 3 years...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by imacarnut
    i don`t think porter cable is upgrading to a new version, it`s probably due to the fact that lowes doesn`t sell them as well as their other power tools...

I was wondering about this too. I thought they were closing out for a newer model. If what you said is true, why don`t they just discount the PC`s slightly just to maintain enough competition with other stores? This way, they would make more profit. I`m sure the PC`s will eventually sell out. I mean, if the PC`s were discounted to, say $80, I`m sure that lots of people (on this forum) would be going to Lowe`s for their purchase rather than buying from other places.

Of course, another viable concern would be the space needed to keep all these PC`s in stock.

But hey, I`m not complaining

Post Thanks / Like
    As for me getting it at the low price, Was very simple.

I asked for the PC, was given one and then walked to the register and waited til the amount showed up. It was the correct price. So I happily gave money. There was no issue with getting the low price.
    Rob.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebai1990
    I mean, if the PC`s were discounted to, say $80, I`m sure that lots of people (on this forum) would be going to Lowe`s for their purchase rather than buying from other places.

i`m sure there isn`t enough detailers (or people who use them as sanders) in each city to keep the ongoing sales of the 7336sp profitable ($109 is expensive for a "sander" for the average consumer when they can go buy a cheap one at harbor fereight for $20) for them (i`m sure there are alot of variables for them not carrying them anymore). im sure drills, rotary saws and the alike are more their target or whatever else consistantly sells for them to keep them on the shelves...

Post Thanks / Like
    They are selling it for the wrong thing. Not a lot of home DIY`er would buy it for sanding because there are cheaper sanders, and not a lot of professionals would buy it because its not professional grade like a makita. So unless they put up an auto detail display with backing plates, pads and polishes, also maybe a demo "Step right up ladies and gentlemen...", they won`t move them

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, that makes sense.

It`s ironic that now I have to spend the same amount of money used to buy the PC to buy 3 foam pads and a backing plate But I can also think about it from another view: I`ve already saved $50+ and I should use that saved money to buy these foam pads

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebai1990
    But I can also think about it from another view: I`ve already saved $50+ and I should use that saved money to buy these foam pads

that`s a great way to look at it . not to mention, this tool will last a looong time, and are built very well...

Post Thanks / Like
    is this a good PC for a beginner to PCs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, a PC is a PC. I`m not sure what your question is PC stands for Porter Cable, and in our case, the Porter Cable Random Orbital Sander/Buffer. Porter Cable makes another model 7424, the only difference (from what I`ve heard) being the counterweight, which doesn`t make too much of a difference in most cases.

But definitely, a PC is a good way to start your learning of machine polishing and application of products. Most people use PC`s, some more advanced detailers use rotaries. If you can get it at this price, go for it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanchou
    is this a good PC for a beginner to PCs?

The best !
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like
    lunch hour coming up. I`ll see if the closest store`s got it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx
    I went to my local Lowes with the receipt and found that they had 3 in stock. However, after bringing it to customer service with the receipt they stated that they could not honor the price. They stated that they can`t honor close out pricing from another Lowes. They stated that is was store specific.
    Go there again and try different customer service person. If that doesn`t help while you are still there have them look up in their system which other stores in that area still have them and how many and keep going down the list starting with store that has biggest number reported as that means biggest chance they will still have some by the time you get there and try customer service in each. You will have a better chance of coming across reasonable person. If others were able to do it you should be able too.

Post Thanks / Like
    i`m bringing the recipt printouts from here;

"Stores in 2 different states have this price, why dont you???" ;p

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread Information