Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by abbeysdad
    Well, here I am ... the stick in the mud!

I didn`t think these towels felt anywhere near as soft as the blue MF towels I use for `wax` removal (and assorted car care).

When you say they passed the CD test, was it a soft or hard rub test?

I thought they might be fine for dash, vinyl, windows etc., but not for `wax` removal...
    I have the Walmart WWs but I don`t plan on using them for drying. To me they look perfect for cleaning glass and maybe my chrome wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebai1990
    T

abbeysdad, you mentioned that you liked the synthetic chamois a lot. I use the Absorber, and I certainly do find that it is very water absorbent. However, the undeniable fact is that if the Absorber is dragged around the surface, the dirt particles will scratch and marr the paint surface. On the other hand, WW`s are relatively better in this area. They have a bit of nap, which will contain the dirt particles inside the WW.

With that said, I`ll add that I never drag any drying towels on the paint. I always use the blotting technique to dry cars. And also the free-flow nozzle method.

I`d suggest that if you still have dirt on the finish after washing, you miight want to change your wash method. Remaining dirt particles on the paint surface would be a potential problem regardless of the towel used.

I wasn`t trying to start trouble and I have nothing against saving money - and it`s not apples and oranges. We`re talking about using a very cheap kitchen towel for car care and just as I would question using [old] bath towels, I`m quesioning using these. I just felt they didn`t feel very soft. I don`t think there`s anything really special about the waffle weave pattern and if it doesn`t feel soft, I`m gonna question it`s `safe` use. Of course, if you`re just gonna use them for glass and wheels, it doesn`t matter. But buyer/detailer beware.

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn`t trying to start trouble...We`re talking about using a very cheap kitchen towel for car care...I just felt they didn`t feel very soft. I don`t think there`s anything really special about the waffle weave pattern and if it doesn`t feel soft, I`m gonna question it`s `safe` use.

I don`t remember how many MF towels you said you had, but I have about 200 with about 40 WW`s, from Sonus to Cobra to Excel to Poorboy`s to Detailer`s Paradise to Meguiar`s to Danase, and some more that I have forgotten. Perhaps that`s not enough of a selection for me to tell whether these "very cheap kitchen towels" are soft. I also thought there were a couple other members here who thought that the waffle weave pattern was special enough to own some. :nixweiss

Here`s a picture of one cheap dish towel and one towel from a well known car care supplier...which is which?

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me guess, the one on the right is the dish towel? The left looks a bit more fluffier.

Abbeysdad, regarding the dirt issue: I personally think that even after you wash the car thoroughly get most of the dirt particles off, I`m pretty sure some more "stuff" will still be on there. Also, since I don`t detail in a garage, I`m sure that between the time that I finish washing and start drying, there will be some particles that have been blown onto the car finish by the wind, especially with the water attracting it. I was just saying that using the Absorber produces a higher chance of marring of the paint because it doesn`t have any thickness and cannot contain the dirt particles like WW`s or MF`s do. So, for the WW`s, I don`t believe that they will damage the paint in any way if I blot the paint, like I do with the Absorber. The only question I have about these Walmart WW`s is their effectiveness and performance compared to other WW`s, which I will gladly try for myself. However, thanks for the reminder, I will be careful with these towels

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebai1990
    Let me guess, the one on the right is the dish towel? The left looks a bit more fluffier.

Eh, I think it`s mostly the lighting and the wash status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t have anywhere near 200 MF towels - you know you can wash and reuse the same ones, right? lol

We`ve pretty much beat this with a stick and I don`t think this is a right or wrong question. I don`t think they feel soft enough to use for finish work, but could see using them for glass, plastic, vinyl, wheels, etc.

As to the other debate regarding waffle weave towels be safer than synthetic chamois in the event there`s remaining dirt on the freshly washed surface, I just can`t buy-in - it`s like saying you wouldn`t dare wipe off a `wax` carrier because some dust may have landed on the car before you got back to wipe it off. I think the synthetic chamois, like the absorber are perfectly safe to dry the surface.

But hey, EVERYONE is entitled to an opinion....right?

Happy detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Being a new guy to the detailing process, I have to say, after reading all the posts about MF vs. WW, vs. Synthetic Chamois, I am more confused than ever. I haven`t got a clue about what I should buy at this point. Another problem that I have is being in Canada, a lot of the stuff that is being used, like the Walmart WW towels, aren`t available in my town. I haven`t found any "good quality" MF at all in the Windsor area, so that leaves me with ordering on-line. I am limited there too because I would prefer to order from a Canadian supplier. I think at this point, whatever works best for you is probably the way to go. You have to try some things to find out what works. I have been using a synthetic chamois for years so I will try a WW towel and see what I think. Maybe check out an Absorber also, they are available in town and some seem to like them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just bought (2) for $2.96. Looks a lot like the WW Glass Towel I got from Autogeek for a LOT more.

I`ll try these for blotter drying but not rubbing, and use on glass. Also, I could use them fro drying on a detail that is going to get a good SSR polishing anyway.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    the WM WW are softer than the Megs water magnets that I have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe I was to harsh???

Just bought a few today and they pass the CD scratch test, so I guess they`re fine after all (presuming this is a fair or appropriate test).

While I was there in the WW housewares I also discovered a 12 pack of 14"x17" all cotton utility towels for $4.96. I know MF is the buzz, but for misc stuff, this seems like a great deal too.

Post Thanks / Like
    abbeysdad, that`s good to hear. I still haven`t been able to get the time to go to Walmart. Oh, man, I want the WW`s so bad now

Thanks for the cotton towel deal, I might be able to use those for cleaning the house.

Post Thanks / Like
    .....While I was there in the WW housewares I also discovered a 12 pack of 14"x17" all cotton utility towels for $4.96. I know MF is the buzz, but for misc stuff, this seems like a great deal too.
    I stopped by WM the other day and did a quick look for those WW`s but didn`t see any. Were they located where all of the other towels are, or by the cleaning supplies? Thanks...
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    They are in the kitchen towels area. The store by me had them hanging all the way at the bottom row.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hooked
    They are in the kitchen towels area. The store by me had them hanging all the way at the bottom row.
    Thanks.... I`ll have to look closer next time I`m over there.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    i love these towels!! i dried my car with them this weekend and it worked awesome.. i used eagle one`s wax as you dry and was very impressed with both products..

im definitely going back to walmart to pick up a few more packs.. very good stuff for such great price.. sometimes i really do feel ripped off when buying "auto care" products.. i mean they know we love our cars and would pay premium for standard products.. but oh well

i like these towels better than meguiar`s water magnet which i`ve put aside to use these instead

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information